World Junior Ice Hockey Championships Tue, Dec 26, 2023 – Fri, Jan 5, 2024

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
You know he scored twice and was very dangerous versus Sweden right? I understand your criticism but the story isn't as cut and dry as you're telling it.
You seem to be challenging the notion that reading a box score isn’t as good as actually watching the game. 90% of this site’s volume is driven by that equivalency.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Smith basically set that entire goal up.

HFBoards "meh another secondary assist"
Could you imagine the comments when Thornton was skating off 3 buffalo defenders if he passed to someone in the crease for an easy goal but they decided to pass off to another player for the goal of just how it it was such a useless secondary assist.

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
You know he scored twice and was very dangerous versus Sweden right? I understand your criticism but the story isn't as cut and dry as you're telling it.
Not criticism just saying he gets a lot of secondary assists, which isn't really deniable.

You seem to be challenging the notion that reading a box score isn’t as good as actually watching the game. 90% of this site’s volume is driven by that equivalency.
Ehh watched every single game Smith has played in this year including two games in person. Are you denying that a large chunk of his production this year has been secondary assists?

• Wow

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
I think Will Smith getting secondary assists is a good thing. It means he is involved in the play and is moving the puck smartly.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Yeah, as far as secondary assists go that one might as well have been a primary. Awesome vision and execution.

I understand LilLeeroy's critiques of Smith's game, and the general critique that Leonard and Perreault are more direct drivers of play on their line. I just think that's a little bit overstated. It would be better if Smith were leading the NCAA in points and looked like the only driver of that line, sure. But I don't think his secondary assist production as it currently stands has any negative bearing on his potential outcomes. He also has more goals than Perreault and generally looks far more dangerous than either of the others on the PP.

We all (WSH, NYR, and SJS fans) need to see all three of them playing with other players as the next major step in evaluation.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Smith gets a lot of secondary assists because he’s doing most of the zone entries. Zone entry, curl up, pass to Perreault, who will find Leonard in front of the net. Smith’s secondary assists are not the same as your average secondary assist.
Yeah, just look at the assist that the original poster who says they wached every one of his games, says it in such a downplaying way of the secondary assist for Smith today. That goal does not happen without Smith being able to read that play and make that pass.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
And Smith if i remember correctly (i did the counting the other day of his assists) were 7 secondary assists to 8 primary. And at worst it was 8 secondary to 7 primary.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I get the concerns with Smith but it’s bizarre to downplay two great games he’s had where he’s likely become Team USA’s #1 center. Not really sure why THAT level of pessimism is warranted or particularly fun.
I think it’s just because the expectations for Smith are so high and he’s our first truly top-tier pick in a couple decades. I often catch myself feeling like Smith should be dominating every shift, but I have to take a step back and remember that not even the best guys dominate every shift.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Not criticism just saying he gets a lot of secondary assists, which isn't really deniable.

Ehh watched every single game Smith has played in this year including two games in person. Are you denying that a large chunk of his production this year has been secondary assists?
I am denying your sense of sarcasm.

But I will say that not all secondary assists are created equal. Some really are afterthoughts but some are the straw that stirs the drink. My sense is Smith shades more to the latter.

Last edited:

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I think it’s just because the expectations for Smith are so high and he’s our first truly top-tier pick in a couple decades. I often catch myself feeling like Smith should be dominating every shift, but I have to take a step back and remember that not even the best guys dominate every shift.

Totally. I honestly felt like that with Eklund for the first part of this year - if he’s our savior, why isn’t he saving us every shift?!

Obviously Smith can very well flop, and he certainly has his flaws, but man his skill is undeniable so I’m still very hopeful.

Reactions: DG93 and Sandisfan

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020
I think Halttunen can surprise us, he feels like very motivated to become an NHL player, maybe a star later. I know it's a biased Sharks/Finnish hockey fan feeling but It's not the first time 2nd round pick that's a Finn becomes a main contributer (see: Sebastian Aho)
It's going to be fun watching these prospects grow, let's hope Halttunen can become a Shark to remember.

Realistically it's good we have some competition in forwards, I just hope Sharks can develop and use them when ready.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I think Halttunen can surprise us, he feels like very motivated to become an NHL player, maybe a star later. I know it's a biased Sharks/Finnish hockey fan feeling but It's not the first time 2nd round pick that's a Finn becomes a main contributer (see: Sebastian Aho)
It's going to be fun watching these prospects grow, let's hope Halttunen can become a Shark to remember.

Realistically it's good we have some competition in forwards, I just hope Sharks can develop and use them when ready.
Sadly it's not even a competition still, we at the moment need like every one of smith, haltunen, musty to hit for us to really get out of this rebuild in the shortest of times.

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020
Sadly it's not even a competition still, we at the moment need like every one of smith, haltunen, musty to hit for us to really get out of this rebuild in the shortest of times.
Yeah, I get what you mean but it's still better situation right now with moves/drafts MG has made than it was during the DW era after Pavelski where there was no direction.
It's going to take time, but it will be even sweeter once pieces start working out.

Reactions: Alaskanice

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Yeah, even with an ungodly set of prospect outcomes, we're going to be in the doldrums for quite some time. Just look at Anaheim or hell, Buffalo and Ottawa. These kids can't even drink legally in the US. 3 more drafts as solid as last year and we should be starting to feel pretty excited.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00