World Junior Ice Hockey Championships Tue, Dec 26, 2023 – Fri, Jan 5, 2024

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Good first two shifts by Smith. Looks fast out there -- first time I have said that. Just had a lot of puck control in O zone and found some nice seam passes, but everyone forcing it a bit too much with a number of blocked shots that could/should have been passes or moving for a better lane. Fortescue penalty taken at the end of the shift had nothing to do with any of the BC guys.

Third shift -- shark on shark faceoff with Bystedt vs. Smith. First one was a stalemate, second one Smith won cleanly then worked well with Buium for a clean shot for a tip to Perreault. Great work by Smith there. One of the most noticeable forwards today which is a nice change from what people have been saying.
I don't know if it's just increased comfort level for Smith or if he's the type to elevate his game when they matter more, but he's been at another level yesterday and today...

and there he is with a phenomenal point shot-pass for the Perrault goal.

Looking mature, impactful...the best American player today, as the NHL Network announcer just said, and I think you could say the same for yesterday, too. It's really quite exciting to watch!

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
2024 WJC stats
Bedard - 0 points
Carlsson - 0 points
Fantilli - 0 points
Michkov - 0 points
Benson - 0 points
Will Smith - 8 points
Just dominating the draft pick selection, those bums could not even muster up 1 point against bottom feeders.

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Would have gone nuts if Smith scored on that breakaway. We want a player of the game from the 3rd line

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Havelid is having a strong game so far.

Man, I swear 80% of the problems in Smith’s game could be fixed with more leg strength. Having a few more strong leg pushes in him on any given shift would make him an actual good defensive player, a stronger puck retriever, a more dangerous rush player, and a better forechecker. Seriously, it’s crazy how many problems can be attributed to one subpar physical attribute.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

Man, I swear 80% of the problems in Smith’s game could be fixed with more leg strength. Having a few more strong leg pushes in him on any given shift would make him an actual good defensive player, a stronger puck retriever, a more dangerous rush player, and a better forechecker. Seriously, it’s crazy how many problems can be attributed to one subpar physical attribute.
And it is a physical attribute that can be fixed within 2 months.

And also Smith has been such a secondary player this tournament he is only leading the tournament in goals.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA

He does get moving sometimes but boy does he not like to track back haha

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007

I'm not sure yet whether I think it's a strength/explosiveness thing in general, or an endurance thing where he just slows down at the end of shifts.

I do think that he is still a bit of a "watcher" on the forecheck, waiting for the chance to poke or attack rather than junkyard dogging it. That gives the impression of flat/heavy-footed at times, but today he's been flying.

So it's hard to say... is it a play style thing, a strength/explosiveness thing, or an endurance thing? No matter what, it's something he can improve, but it would be better if it were a natural strength, because at the NHL level everyone is training the same things all the time.

Havelid does look very good out there. Bystedt just missed an obvious headman ... he's big but I haven't seen a ton of offensive awareness.

Last edited:

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I'm not sure yet whether I think it's a strength/explosiveness thing in general, or an endurance thing where he just slows down at the end of shifts.

I do think that he is still a bit of a "watcher" on the forecheck, waiting for the chance to poke or attack rather than junkyard dogging it. That gives the impression of flat/heavy-footed at times, but today he's been flying.

So it's hard to say... is it a play style thing, a strength/explosiveness thing, or an endurance thing? No matter what, it's something he can improve, but it would be better if it were a natural strength, because at the NHL level everyone is training the same things all the time.

Havelid does look very good out there. Bystedt just missed an obvious headman ... he's big but I haven't seen a ton of offensive awareness.
I think it’s both, which leads to a passive mentality in that sense. Smith needs to be taken to the Tomas Hertl school of gym-ratism, because both better stamina and better explosiveness are things he needs. Strong legs let you change directions quickly instead of relying on momentum to keep you going.

Munnyro

Jul 15, 2013
Sacramento, CA
I can't tell with beefsteak. It looks like he needs to work on acceleration and foot speed but hard to tell with tall fellas. Plus I'm pretty sure the Swedish coach has instructed him to spend the game in front of both nets.

Reactions: landshark

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad