World Junior Ice Hockey Championships Tue, Dec 26, 2023 – Fri, Jan 5, 2024

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Bystedt was pretty awful in the medal rounds. Completely invisible offensively and detrimental defensively.
With his struggles in the SHL, and then the pretty lackluster tournament here it is not looking to good for bystedt becoming anything much at the NHL level.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
With his struggles in the SHL, and then the pretty lackluster tournament here it is not looking to good for bystedt becoming anything much at the NHL level.
With the caveat that obviously the WJC is not an end-all be-all event, it’s disappointing that Bystedt couldn’t score much as one of the oldest players in the tournament on a great team. I’m about ready to close the door on him ever being a top-6 scorer, though it would be stupid to rule it out completely and we always knew that Bystedt would be a long-term project.

That Nazar for Bystedt/Lund/Havelid trade is looking even more brutal after this tourney.

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
With the caveat that obviously the WJC is not an end-all be-all event, it’s disappointing that Bystedt couldn’t score much as one of the oldest players in the tournament on a great team. I’m about ready to close the door on him ever being a top-6 scorer, though it would be stupid to rule it out completely and we always knew that Bystedt would be a long-term project.

That Nazar for Bystedt/Lund/Havelid trade is looking even more brutal after this tourney.
Definitely silly that they drew out Wilson and Son's departure for as long as possible rather than give the new guys time to do their own research before the draft, whether it ends up working out or not.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

If he does not come over next season to play in the AHL, i would be saying his time with the Sharks is at the least over. But i will admit fully that i am not a big fan of the SHL and it's ability to develop high end players in the NHL (yes i know there are a few). I didn't believe the hype with dahlen and especially did not like the returning of Eklund.

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
If he does not come over next season to play in the AHL, i would be saying his time with the Sharks is at the least over. But i will admit fully that i am not a big fan of the SHL and it's ability to develop high end players in the NHL (yes i know there are a few). I didn't believe the hype with dahlen and especially did not like the returning of Eklund.

I think people are overreacting regarding Bystedt's year and tournament. It has been a rough D-2 but his D-1 was excellent and prospect development is not linear. He still has the tools to become a 2-way 3rd line center and his flaws seem fixable. He's got good size, good skating, good hands, and seems to have a high hockey IQ. Even if he is not producing right now he still has those traits. He may not end up a 2nd line center but I still think he has a 3rd line center floor.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose

It's honestly not the end of the world imo if Bystedt becomes a very good defensive 3C. He can take on 2nd line matchups while Will Smith and Musty feast on 3rd lines (+ get top PP minutes of course).

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Definitely silly that they drew out Wilson and Son's departure for as long as possible rather than give the new guys time to do their own research before the draft, whether it ends up working out or not.
Agreed.
I don’t know the rules exceptionally well, but isn’t there something saying first round Swedish kids can’t come to the AHL as teenagers? Something about Sweden wanting to retain their homegrown talent? I can’t recall, but I do hope Bystedt can come over next season.
I think people are overreacting regarding Bystedt's year and tournament. It has been a rough D-2 but his D-1 was excellent and prospect development is not linear. He still has the tools to become a 2-way 3rd line center and his flaws seem fixable. He's got good size, good skating, good hands, and seems to have a high hockey IQ. Even if he is not producing right now he still has those traits. He may not end up a 2nd line center but I still think he has a 3rd line center floor.
I think you’re underrating the level of skill it takes to be a third line center on a good team these days. I think he has a 4th line floor.

We do have to remember that 3C is a good result for a guy who was drafted 28th overall.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Agreed.

I don’t know the rules exceptionally well, but isn’t there something saying first round Swedish kids can’t come to the AHL as teenagers? Something about Sweden wanting to retain their homegrown talent? I can’t recall, but I do hope Bystedt can come over next season.

I think you’re underrating the level of skill it takes to be a third line center on a good team these days. I think he has a 4th line floor.

We do have to remember that 3C is a good result for a guy who was drafted 28th overall.
I think the last time we looked into the rules, it's that an NHL team can unilaterally assign a 1st round SHL draftee to the AHL. Outside of the 1st round, the SHL team has to agree to let draftees be assigned to the AHL.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Yeah, some of this commentary on Bystedt feels really harsh. It's true that he had an up-and-down tournament, but in his good games he showed enough that I think an NHL future is still a real possibility.

A tournament like this is weird because there are so many factors that can allow a player to shine--or be put in a better position to shine--and Bystedt is someone who didn't have those benefits compared to others. You think about his usage, from his linemates to how he seemingly was instructed to play at times (just because he looks like Big Bird out there sometimes in the yellow kit doesn't mean his best usage is to be parked in front of the net, whether on the PP or at 5v5), and I don't think he was really put in a position to shine in a way that's going to catch the eye of scouts or fans, especially.

I do think that 3C is probably his most likely ceiling, but even with that there are still a range of possible outcomes, some of which could be great for a pick at his spot.

That said, I REALLY want him with the Barracuda next year, in training camp with the Sharks, because I think there are aspects of his game that aren't going to be unlocked until he gets over here and is surrounded by guys like Hertl and Eklund. The #1 thing is a combination of intensity and tenacity. Some guys always end up lacking on that front and end up frustrating coaches and fans; some guys realize if they want to have the career they've dreamt of, they've got to step it up in those regards and they CAN do so. We'll see where Bystedt falls, but to me much of his destiny is now connected to those aspects of his game. Enough of the rest is falling into place.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
He was ~top 5 in scoring in the tourney after 3 or dso games in the prelim rounds.

I was not impressed with Sweden's offensive system in today's game. Perhaps once the team aligned with it, it diminished is abilities?

Reactions: Sandisfan

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
He was ~top 5 in scoring in the tourney after 3 or dso games in the prelim rounds.

I was not impressed with Sweden's offensive system in today's game. Perhaps once the team aligned with it, it diminished is abilities?
Not really a good look when 3 of your 4 points come vs Latvia and Germany. I get it he became a fan favorite prospect for a couple posters here, but there really has been no progress to show why there should be so much hope for him to be part of the future of this team.

• Haha

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Not really a good look when 3 of your 4 points come vs Latvia and Germany. I get it he became a fan favorite prospect for a couple posters here, but there really has been no progress to show why there should be so much hope for him to be part of the future of this team.
He's 19 years old, for f***'s sake. Did you even watch these games?

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Yes i did and he was mostly invisible for the majority of the tournament.
Sure, but if you just expect him to be a very solid 3C, Bystedt will do just fine. I think his development so far indicates that he likely won't be a 2C as many had hoped for after he was drafted, which is okay imo.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
So just to wrap this tournament up:

Celebrini - Chocker even though the Sharks will probably also choke at the lottery and not get to draft him

Smith - Secondary points

Pohlkamp - Worthless

Furlong - Worthless

Hulttanen - Chocker

Bystedt - Scrub

Havelid - Worthless scrub

conclusion: Nothing matters and the Sharks will continue to suck for decades because the universe is bleak and without meaning.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
So just to wrap this tournament up:

Celebrini - Chocker even though the Sharks will probably also choke at the lottery and not get to draft him

Smith - Secondary points

Pohlkamp - Worthless

Furlong - Worthless

Hulttanen - Chocker

Bystedt - Scrub

Havelid - Worthless scrub

conclusion: Nothing matters and the Sharks will continue to suck for decades because the universe is bleak and without meaning.

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
Tomas Hertl erasure.
Ahahaha... this was a really hard combo!!

xJ3uKGjs.gif

1704561429503.png

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
The Atheltic's Scott Wheeler's thoughts on the Sharks in the tourney:

Will Smith (F, San Jose Sharks): Smith’s vision and creativity flashed, as they always do, but he wasn’t making plays, particularly at five-on-five, at the clip that he typically has for USA internationally (though he did come on later in the tournament after a slower start). He still needs to play with a little more jam but I mostly liked his tracking and effort level off of the puck. Had his best shift of the tournament on the game-tying second period goal in the semi, tracking back hard and then applying pressure back the other way to twice be disruptive before getting free at the backdoor to take a pass from Gabe Perreault. He returned the favour to Perreault, who got free for him to hit with a beautiful slap-pass, in the gold medal game, too. Breakaway to nearly make it 2-0 in the second period, too. Hit a couple of posts and could have had more on the scoresheet than he got, even though he was only playing 13-14 minutes a game on a deep team. If he doesn’t turn pro at the end of this year, he’ll be a star on next year’s team.

Eric Pohlkamp (D, San Jose Sharks): Didn’t play when the games matter, but used his booming (understatement, he probably has the heaviest point shot in the event) shot early in the tournament and played his typically aggressive and competitive style.

Filip Bystedt (F, San Jose Sharks): Skated well north-south once he got going but isn’t a very adjustable skater in tight/against coverage. One-timer popped a couple of times. Reach, length, size make him so strong in puck protection at this age.

Mattias Havelid (D, San Jose Sharks): Looked comfortable atop the offensive zone blue line, adjusting his way across the line and feathering passes off of his forehand and backhand. Heady. Shoulder checks. Carrying pucks up ice and creating entries. Didn’t play well against Finland but was otherwise good. I think he can be a little too busy at times, but he’s a good prospect and a top player at this level.

Kasper Halttunen (F, San Jose Sharks): Got ahold of some one-timers/heavy wristers. He’s going to be able to play on an NHL power play because of his shot, even if he’s more of a second unit guy. Really strong on pucks. Sheds bumps to drive past his man well. Wins most 50/50 engagements at this level.

Jake Furlong (D, San Jose Sharks): Lacks acceleration, which can hurt him going back to get chipped pucks. Thought he was mostly solid though for Canada and certainly played in line with who he is as a prospect.

So basically they're all trash and we should just give up and embrace the suck. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00