World Junior Ice Hockey Championships Tue, Dec 26, 2023 – Fri, Jan 5, 2024

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
For me that's the best surprise so far.

I'm not sure we learned much about Halttunen, and unless Smith has a great game tomorrow, we probably see this as a "treading water / maintaining trajectory" tourney for him.

Would also love to see a great gold medal game from the swedes, since they cooled a bit today / game before.
I disagree about Halttunen. Him stepping up and being such a dangerous player in big games, especially the Sweden one, despite getting limited 5-on-5 opportunities, was important to me. He showed that not only does his shot play on this more prominent stage, it struck the fear of God into the hearts of opponents.

Even today, I thought he matured as the game went on even though he wasn't really getting great chances. On the PP the U.S. clearly was really focused on limiting his shot, but he still got some away with great quickness--and in the third period, at 5v5, with his third line mates, he got this look like he wanted to step up his game and be a leader in trying to get the winner/equalizer. He wasn't just a one-time machine at that stage, but he varied his game up, which I loved to see, but his linemates just weren't capable of matching his level, which I'm sure was frustrating.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
I disagree about Halttunen. Him stepping up and being such a dangerous player in big games, especially the Sweden one, despite getting limited 5-on-5 opportunities, was important to me. He showed that not only does his shot play on this more prominent stage, it struck the fear of God into the hearts of opponents.

Even today, I thought he matured as the game went on even though he wasn't really getting great chances. On the PP the U.S. clearly was really focused on limiting his shot, but he still got some away with great quickness--and in the third period, at 5v5, with his third line mates, he got this look like he wanted to step up his game and be a leader in trying to get the winner/equalizer. He wasn't just a one-time machine at that stage, but he varied his game up, which I loved to see, but his linemates just weren't capable of matching his level, which I'm sure was frustrating.
Great write-up and great to hear.

Reactions: Sandisfan

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose

Maybe if Haltunnen becomes more of a 2-way winger, we'll have ourselves a 3rd line scoring winger who can also contribute on special teams

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
You have Musty and Halttanen playing their offsides
Isn't Coe also a RW?
You want Halttunen on the LW so you can feed passes right into his wheelhouse for some wicked one-timers.

Maybe if Haltunnen becomes more of a 2-way winger, we'll have ourselves a 3rd line scoring winger who can also contribute on special teams
This definitely doesn't feel like some far-fetched outcome at this point. There's a chance (more realistic than one could have hoped) that the 2023 draft, even if there isn't a single superstar or game-changer who comes out of it for the Sharks, still ends up as a really significant driver forward in the rebuild.

Reactions: DG93 and Sandisfan

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
One things for sure. If Smith gets any points tomorrow the USA is winning because all of Smith's points are secondary and have no impact on his team.

• Haha

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
You have Musty and Halttanen playing their offsides
Isn't Coe also a RW?

It was a gag post I wrote up in like a minute and a half. I wasn't going to pull up eliteprospects or whatever to sort out correct positions.

Eklund - Celebrini - Halttunen
Musty - Smith - Gushchin
Bordeleau - Bystedt - Coe

Better?

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood
Yeah, I'm watching Sweden/Czechia right now and in the 2nd period the broadcast pointed it out. Some dumbass in the crowd has a megaphone and is pressing the siren button in it when the Czechs are in the attacking zone and they did the same thing vs other teams in the round robin.

It's kind of hilarious that they allow it. It's one things for fans to chant and yell whatever, and those plastic vuvuzela horns are annoying but low-key, but in the same way you're not allowed an actual whistle because it would get confused with the ref's whistle, you'd think that sirens like that would be disallowed because it could cause people to turn out legitimate in-arena alarms and whatever. Plus it's just annoying as hell.
To be fair, it's the first time I've ever experienced the siren and I've been endlessly wondering why don't they take it away from them. Oh well.

I agree. That shot is lethal, but along that, he seems to have a lot of drive in him. The occasional risky plays are there - as one would probably expect - but there's also a ton of confidence. Obviously, the whole team started to look way different after the Latvia game, but Halttunen has definitely improved his play during the tournament too. All in all, it's been fun having him and other Sharks prospects to follow during the tournament.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Is haltunen playing today in the bronze game? I have seen like 12 minutes of the first and the entire second and third so far and have not heard his name yet once.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Everyone excited to watch Will Smith play 12 minutes today? Haha on the real I hope one of the baby Sharks has a big moment

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood
I can't recall when I was this emotionally invested in Team Finland. Oh well.

I hope USA beats Sweden today, just because it's Sweden. My partner is rooting for Sweden though, so we're in for a good one here haha.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Good first two shifts by Smith. Looks fast out there -- first time I have said that. Just had a lot of puck control in O zone and found some nice seam passes, but everyone forcing it a bit too much with a number of blocked shots that could/should have been passes or moving for a better lane. Fortescue penalty taken at the end of the shift had nothing to do with any of the BC guys.

Third shift -- shark on shark faceoff with Bystedt vs. Smith. First one was a stalemate, second one Smith won cleanly then worked well with Buium for a clean shot for a tip to Perreault. Great work by Smith there. One of the most noticeable forwards today which is a nice change from what people have been saying.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad