Prospect Info: World Junior Championships 2014-2015

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Great cycling on the Wood-Matthews-Schmaltz line before Werenski's wrister found its way through. C'mon boys!

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
US penalty or a bad offside call?

Check that, US pp. Not sure why the whistle blew.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
The end of that game was like watching the Devils try to tie a game. Never even got a chance.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Disappointing but not totally surprising given the nature of the tournament. On the bright side, the US was fielding a relatively young roster. Eichel likely won't be there next year, but a good chunk of the core will still be eligible.

Naturally we can be incredulous and assume that Santini would have been a boost to the PK today.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Disappointing but not totally surprising given the nature of the tournament. On the bright side, the US was fielding a relatively young roster. Eichel likely won't be there next year, but a good chunk of the core will still be eligible.

Naturally we can be incredulous and assume that Santini would have been a boost to the PK today.

It's true that the USA roster was comparatively young, and hopefully a good chunk of that core can come back next year with more experience and a hunger to medal.

Santini might have been a real boost to the PK if he was able to play. It's a shame his injury prevented him from playing in the tournament. I'd been really looking forward to seeing him compete, but health and safety must come first, obviously.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
To bad. That's what happens when you don't play a full 60 and to much one on one play by the US for my liking. I believe McDavid definitely cemented being the first pick in June. Eichel was OK but not the best player on team USA.

Combat Koala

Tough buildings never die
Oct 29, 2014
So Finland and USA lost... that sucks to be honest. Finland went 0-for-21 in powerplays in this tournament which ultimately led to their loss. What a joke. Everytime, on every level. The powerplay. **** dat.

At least Rantanen was a beast out there, Puljujärvi looks great and Lehkonen had a good showing. Honka looks like a future #1 or #2 dman. Hintz caught my eye too.

Czech Trio

Aug 29, 2009
Thought the majority of this team was incredibly underwhelming just like the Olympic team.

Eichel is obviously dominant physically and skillfully but he needs to incorporate his teammates more. He was trying to going solo way too much.

Wood looked like one of the few forwards who knew it was an elimination game. I just realized he isnt even eligible for next year cause he will be 20 but he looks to have great mobility/net drive/fiestiness. I can't attest to his skills much but I think they are there. Definitely a steal in the 4th. I would say he is up there with Boucher in terms of 'impact offensive' prospects.

One thing that stood out to me was how invisible Tuch/Milano were. They gave me a bad Ryder vibe. Unless they were involved in a goal I thought they were completely invisible.

I would say the best players were Eichel, Demko, Larkin, Motte/DeLeo/Louis(bottom 6 guys in general), Hayden, and Wood.

No defensemen stood out particularly. If someone said point out Hanifin without names/numbers it would be hard. DeAngelo gave me a Zidlicky vibe with his great offensive/defensive effort. Carlo has good size but I wonder if that gets him in tough situations at times. If/when he grows into it he could be a nice 2nd/3rd round get for any team.

BomaLightDevils

Jan 15, 2011
Copenhagen
Why is it that Miles Wood get so mutch hate on the USA thread? He played Was a role player doing hes job okay i Think. He had a average tournament but people say he Was one of the worst on team USA. Why cant they understand that he Was not the guy to carry the team, tuch, Milano and so on did not show up When they should.
Santini is the guy they Were missing all tournament long. But nobody seems to see that.

Combat Koala

Tough buildings never die
Oct 29, 2014
Why is it that Miles Wood get so mutch hate on the USA thread? He played Was a role player doing hes job okay i Think. He had a average tournament but people say he Was one of the worst on team USA. Why cant they understand that he Was not the guy to carry the team, tuch, Milano and so on did not show up When they should.
Santini is the guy they Were missing all tournament long. But nobody seems to see that.
You are on HF... what did you expect?

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
I thought Wood was fine but it would be nice to see him play at the next level consistently instead of a HS.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey

It's not really fair but when a team has a disappointing end to a tournament, I think people sometimes have a tendency to want to blame the role players rather than the stars when a lot of time it's the stars not showing up strong enough that caused the loss. Personally, I thought that Eichel underperformed; I could see his talent, but he didn't seem to be very effective at using his line mates. Obviously, he is an incredible prospect, but, by the end of the tournament, I was more looking to Larkin to score a big goal. I thought that Larkin was USA's best forward in the tournament, even though Eichel might have been the most talented.

Santini was a big loss to the team, but I also think USA sort of undermined its own cause in the game against Russia by taking so many penalties.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad