Half-Assed GDT: World Championships 2018 - Bluesy

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I couldn’t really care less if Soshnikov wants to leave or not. If there’s one thing this organization has in spades right now it’s bottom/middle 6 tweeners and guys who project in that range. Wouldn’t be a huge loss. If he wants to stay, great it’s another guy fighting for a spot in camp.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I like what Soshnikov brings to the team in terms of physicality and that shot of his, but I certainly wouldn't lose any sleep over him leaving to the KHL. I think he's one of our 12 best forwards, but the gap between him and some of the other guys battling for a spot is not much.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Guys he’s been a Blue for less than 3 months and played 12 games for us. Maybe, just maybe we haven’t seen everything he has to offer yet.

What we saw was pretty much exactly what Toronto fans said we’d be getting. Strong wrister. Tries hard. Can’t stay healthy. I don’t hope he leaves but if he’s not going to be happy with a bottom line/bottom six role, then best of luck. If Armstrong does his job there shouldn’t be any reason why he’s in the conversation for a top 6 spot. He seems to be what he is at this point. A nice option for your bottom six when he’s healthy.

Reactions: BlueDream

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Haven't read the interviews but I can see why Soshnikov would perceive the locker room as tense. He joined the Blues while they were in a huge slump and I'm sure there were some fingers being pointed. Add to that, a popular locker room leader in Stastny gets dealt a couple weeks later, and yeah it seems pretty plausible that the Blues room was not in the greatest state of mind. I don't have any concerns with the locker room going forward, it was just a whirlwind of events that likely left the Blues in a bit of internal disarray.

Regarding Soshnikov and the rumors of him heading to the KHL, I hope that isn't true. He's not a pivotal cog on this team, but I like the skill set that he brings. He's got speed, a wicked shot, and an endless motor. His injuries are my biggest gripe about him but a couple changes in his reckless playstyle could probably reduce the amount of time he's on the IR. I'm not losing sleep if he goes to the KHL since we only gave up a 4th, but I would definitely be disappointed.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Haven't read the interviews but I can see why Soshnikov would perceive the locker room as tense. He joined the Blues while they were in a huge slump and I'm sure there were some fingers being pointed. Add to that, a popular locker room leader in Stastny gets dealt a couple weeks later, and yeah it seems pretty plausible that the Blues room was not in the greatest state of mind. I don't have any concerns with the locker room going forward, it was just a whirlwind of events that likely left the Blues in a bit of internal disarray.

Regarding Soshnikov and the rumors of him heading to the KHL, I hope that isn't true. He's not a pivotal cog on this team, but I like the skill set that he brings. He's got speed, a wicked shot, and an endless motor. His injuries are my biggest gripe about him but a couple changes in his reckless playstyle could probably reduce the amount of time he's on the IR. I'm not losing sleep if he goes to the KHL since we only gave up a 4th, but I would definitely be disappointed.
Well said, think you hit the nail on the head here...not much else to add really.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
I would have hoped we Blues fans would have learned from the Sobotka machinations that we can't get too attached to a 3rd line winger and any self-inflicted pity party that they created.

If Sosh wants to leave, he can be replaced without skipping a beat.

Shwabeal

Feb 24, 2016
I would have hoped we Blues fans would have learned from the Sobotka machinations that we can't get too attached to a 3rd line winger and any self-inflicted pity party that they created.

If Sosh wants to leave, he can be replaced without skipping a beat.

I think Sobotka is part of the reason that pretty much every person that has posted about it has had a pretty 'meh' attitude about it. Disappointed but won't be upset.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Interviews by Russians in Russian papers where they sound whiny and disappointed are about a dime a dozen: just about every Ruskie has one. My opinion is: big whoop. He was honest, said he came at a bad time, and didn’t get the opportunity he wanted after getting pushed out in TOR. If he uses that as motivation - and he doesn’t strike me as the type of player prone to sulking - he’ll be fine. I wouldn’t read into any of it too much

Reactions: Blueston

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Parayko scores! :bb:

OP6YtTl.gif

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
lol Yeo is driving Canada powerplay. zero goal coming. You got Nuge, McDavid, ROR and Parayko zero goal scoring chagnes. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

******* you YEO :ha:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: simon in canada

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
Highlights from the USA vs Canada game:

Dunno wtf Parayko was doing on USA's 4th goal (~1:40). Maybe just bad communication between him and Nurse/McDavid? Not 100% sure who was really at fault there, looks like Nurse was partially to blame after making a bad pinch. Still, Parayko's guy (Larkin) ended up scoring and it didn't look like a great play by Colt. At least he came back and got the tying goal!

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Highlights from the USA vs Canada game:

Dunno wtf Parayko was doing on USA's 4th goal (~1:40). Maybe just bad communication between him and Nurse/McDavid? Not 100% sure who was really at fault there, looks like Nurse was partially to blame after making a bad pinch. Still, Parayko's guy (Larkin) ended up scoring and it didn't look like a great play by Colt. At least he came back and got the tying goal!

A lot went wrong. Parayko was beat off the wall, which would have been fine if Nurse hadn't been caught flat footed AND had the puck go right through him since Nurse could (should) have picked up that guy and Parayko could have taken the trailer.

Even then, things might have been OK if McDavid hadn't read the developing play poorly and vacated the middle. All he needed to do was hold the middle, and either Nurse or Parayko could have chased down the guy swinging wide on the angle.

Reactions: stl76

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Anyone see how Thompson played? I heard he got an assist but not much else
That about sums it up. Nice assist, not much else. He obviously needs to get stronger, but he still needs to internalize how he should be playing. He still seems too busy out there. Needs to be in position and let game come to him more.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Soshnikov can go enjoy the KHL if that's the attitude and mindset he has. To have a sense of entitlement when he has literally accomplished nothing in North America is not what I want anywhere near the locker room (and his only decent season in Russia was as a 21 YO averaging 0.56 ppg).

I don't really see why anyone would be surprised that a guy is tempted to go home, play in front of his native fans, likely earn more money and have a bigger role on the team. The Blues probably wanted to see what they had in Sosh before giving him too much responsibility, but I don't necessarily see it as an attitude problem. He just has to decide what situation is best for him. Everyone has different priorities.

What a game yesterday. When Parayko buried that tying goal I was wondering where that was most of the year! Team USA looks pretty dangerous, gonna be tough to beat them. Didn't see much of Thompson after that first assist, but Parayko was quite noticeable. Not much of a defensive game overall. Heard that Canada didn't even have a full practice before the game, not sure if that is true or not. Almost like a pick up game. Goalies did all they could to keep it 4-4.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Wow whatt goal Rudolfs Balcers just scored at OT. Sick moves. #1 goal at these games for sure. Looks like this kiddo is Sharks mid round pick at 2015.

Rudolfs Balcers - Elite Prospects

Wait and see the highlights about that goal.

Last edited:

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Anyone see how Thompson played? I heard he got an assist but not much else
Nothing what gives good 'wow' impression, nothing bad, but playing 4th line and less icetime maybe isn't the best for him. He had one really good scoring change front of net, get puck and was alone, but shot it wide.

His skating is major problem imo and lack of body strenght.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Aah my mistake, Mikkolas hasn't even signed to Team Finland yet. Looks like Finland coaches are lurking Pens Määttä, maybe some green light has been informed from him to coaches.

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
Looks like Edmundson is getting healthy and will be in Canada's lineup, on the top pairing w/ Ekblad no less!

Looking forward to seeing how he handles the big ice and top pairing duties.

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
Wow whatt goal Rudolfs Balcers just scored at OT. Sick moves. #1 goal at these games for sure. Looks like this kiddo is Sharks mid round pick at 2015.

Rudolfs Balcers - Elite Prospects

Wait and see the highlights about that goal.

The tweet link doesn't work for me, but here is a clip of highlights from the game:

That OT goal was ridiculous! Goalie should've poke checked, but whatever, still a great play by Balcers. He had another nice goal (top shelf snipe over the blocker) earlier in the game too.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Looks like Edmundson is getting healthy and will be in Canada's lineup, on the top pairing w/ Ekblad no less!

Looking forward to seeing how he handles the big ice and top pairing duties.

I'm interested to see how Schwartz looks on RW. I know most would prefer to keep him on the left side because it is easier for his board skills to shine, but having him on the right side if we still have a glut on the left side might enable us to have more lineup flexibility assuming Fabbri is back to near 100%. Might be even more important if Tarasenko is going to miss any time in October from his shoulder surgery.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Jaskin with the overtime game winner for the Czech Republic! He was all over the ice, could have had several goals if he could finish better. But he was perhaps the star of the game, along with the Slovakia goalie who faced nearly 40 shots. Hopefully this can give him some confidence for next year, he's getting a lot of ice time for the Czech team.

Reactions: MortiestOfMortys

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I'm interested to see how Schwartz looks on RW. I know most would prefer to keep him on the left side because it is easier for his board skills to shine, but having him on the right side if we still have a glut on the left side might enable us to have more lineup flexibility assuming Fabbri is back to near 100%. Might be even more important if Tarasenko is going to miss any time in October from his shoulder surgery.
IMO, you play your best players in their natural positions and fill in the gaps the best you can in other ways.

Reactions: BlueDream

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad