Half-Assed GDT: World Championships 2018 - Bluesy

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Very interesting information, thank you for sharing this article. Just from looking at Suomela's stats, he put up very good numbers in Liiga last year (lead the entire league in points!). At 24 he is still relatively young and has decent size (6' 175lbs).

Can you tell us a bit about Suomela as a player? How is he defensively, is he good at faceoffs? How is his shot/skating/etc? Do you think he can play center in the NHL or would he likely be a winger?

turkulad

Sep 27, 2011
Turku, Finland
While I sadly can't tell you much about Suomela as a player - I have never followed his Liiga JYP team - here are some interesting quotes from the Antti Suomela thread on the Jatkoaika discussion forum, just some snippets from various posters:
* Apparently someone had spotted Barrett Jackman (your development coach) watching a game between JYP and Ässät this April. Speculations then were about him either scouting Suomela or Assat junior Kotkaniemi who's up for draft this year.
* Some analyses are saying Suomela's curious talent is to be able to produce in spite of being not flashy at all. No gloried hits, lightning bullet shots etc., just a bunch of hard work, intelligent zone entries, sneaky passes, a lot of good little things. More of a hard worker than a flegmatic artist, if that's the spectrum to rate him in.
* Apparently he had some KHL options to consider before eventually choosing to sign a contract for HIFK for next year.
* If I read the posts correctly, he essentially won the league's top scoring title playing as a third-line center as he only averaged some 16 mins of icetime, which was less than the other top centers on the teams. Someone quoted his ice time being #189 on the entire league this last season, and having had barely if any PK time and only 2nd unit PP time. On the other hand, this also means he maybe hasn't been as tried on special teams as you'd like for a NHL contract signee.

Hope this interests you. I ain't even a regular here (a Canuck fan's what I am) but just wanted to forward this to you since it caught my eye.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
To be honest, I can't say this is something that really excites me.

However...

If by "Blues scouts like him" I hope that means Bill Armstrong. If that guy liked any player at this point, I'd trust him 100%. I'm sure it's our other pro scouts but I would still like his opinion lol.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Thank god that didn’t hit Schwartz. If that weak wrister in Detroit fractured his ankle that shot would’ve torn his leg clean off.

Reactions: 67Blues

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Thank god that didn’t hit Schwartz. If that weak wrister in Detroit fractured his ankle that shot would’ve torn his leg clean off.
Don't worry, Schwartz still left the game in the 3rd with an injury! (shoulder?)

:help:

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
He got injured after being hit into the boards in the 3rd period of Canada's game today and didn't return. Armstrong said he'd know more Saturday morning.
Really? Jeesus. I was at work didn't see the game.

If that is 6 month injurytime, we're pretty much f***ed up for next season too.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
Is nobody watching USA Vs CAN? Lee just got stopped three times in a row at point blank range. That’s going to drop his international shooting percentage a bit...

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Pretty great game for the gold medal. Came down to shootouts, which is a shame, really.

Congrats to Sweden and Switzerland both, for their respective finishes at gold and silver.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->