Worcester Sharks News & Discussion V

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Ah, but they can.

A number of ECHL teams put guys on NHL or AHL deals on their season-ending roster. They then retain their rights.

If those rights aren't with the NHL/AHL's affiliate, there's often a trade of rights to the affiliate so the following season if assigned to ECHL, he's with the affiliate.

(Haven't confirmed in this case. Just saying. :naughty:)

I would be very interested in any proof you could show of this, because according to the ECHL CBA I can't see any way that a player under an NHL (or AHL) contract could be on player rights list:

(SOURCE)
A team shall only be entitled to reserve Rights to a maximum of eight (8) Qualified Players. Of these eight (8) Qualified Players, no more than four (4) of the Qualified Players shall be Veterans. “Qualified Player†shall mean a Player who is listed on a team’s Season Ending Roster who has received a Qualifying Offer from that team. A “Qualifying Offer†shall mean an offer of a Standard Player Contract to a Qualified Player.

I went to the Alaska Aces webpage (because I think they're one of the best in the ECHL for updating it) and found THIS PAGE that includes the following information:
The Alaska Aces, three-time Kelly Cup champions, today announced its 2013-14 Season Ending Roster of 20 players. The Season Ending Roster offers a list of eligible players to receive a qualifying offer no later than July 1.

Season-Ending Rosters may include up to 20 players. Season-Ending Rosters cannot include any players who did not sign an ECHL contract in 2013-14.

There's also some more info at the bottom of the page I'm not going to bother to copy and paste.

So I can't see how a player that's never signed an ECHL contract can have his player rights held by anyone.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I could see that fall from getting hit by Roussel tweaking his knee. All his weight going backwards with 40 pounds of leg pads on or whatever they are now these days and it could easily tweak that knee.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007

Did you find out if KA was really a healthy scratch? Someone said he was a little banged up.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
When I was told he was a healthy scratch there was nothing to indicate that might not be the case. A minion said he practiced Wednesday and Thursday so that would make it seem like he is healthy.

So Sommer just sat his best d-man, makes sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad