WJC's

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Despite being a winger, it feels like Pelletier is always back on the rush and is covering for the D on the rush at points. Good recongition of when to come back and is hustling to forecheck, and then to get into position to allow Canada's D to be a bit more aggressive imo

His attention to detail has been great so far in this tournament. Love a young player who commits to doing the little things right.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Byfield and Pelletier showing serious chemistry tonight. What a game by Canada. Much more impressive than Germany IMO.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Pelletier needs a bigger role on this team. No homer, but he's been a top 6 forward in terms of possession, forecheck, hustle, d-play,

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Have the Juniors ever been this imbalanced? Feels like every game is a total blowout

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I think people are underrating Zary here. He didn't have a good game against Germany but to me at least he's shown good puck skills at times (watch him cycling against Slovakia or his pass to Pelletier last night or his pass to Perfetti last night or his pass to Cozens against Russia). He's been playing ~10 minutes a game and we shouldn't forget that he's not actually a LW. He needs to improve his skating though; that's the main thing holding him back.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I don’t think skating is an issue in the slightest for Zary. I find him quite explosive to be honest. I feel this is another case of HF disinformation taking hold like it did with Valimaki who people on here said was stuck in concrete. For me Zary still has trouble with the pace of the game from a mental perspective. He’s just not quite making decisions fast enough yet. But that’s to be expected after almost a year off competitive hockey.

Skating is a bit of an issue for Pelletier although his hockey IQ is so elite that if he corrects it he could be special.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Stutzle just scored an insane goal that was offside. He's going to be one of the most dynamic players in the NHL. No doubt.

edit: LOL they ruled that onside! Horrendous call. Spectacular goal though. I think me saying we should trade Tkachuk for this kid in the summer looks like a no brainer now. He’s special. I think he’ll be a top 5 offensive player in the league.

Last edited:

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Feels like every year we talk about our top prospects needing to improve their skating

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I think some people are a bit harsh on our junior players. Not just here, but on other fan sites as well. The kids are on a world stage right now, facing competition they haven't seen before. A bad game or a bad shift and people are all over them like they're either going to be a failure or our numb nuts GM, management team, and the scouting department were sniffing glue when they made their picks. The boys are alright. And will continue to be. I've been impressed with all four of the Flames prospects. The future is bright for these young men and hopefully for our team as well.

Reactions: Mobiandi

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Also let's not take a whole lot away from the World Juniors. Within a couple shifts, Zary can go from getting easily knocked over along the boards to cycling effectively, pushing hard against some pretty big guys. He's a 13th forward right now and has a different role than what I'd figure he has in the dub, and going forward to the NHL. Same with Pelletier, he's being put in a defensive, cycling role and I doubt he's really looking for the fast break. At least looking at Pelletier he isn't pushing for them and is playing safe. It's impossible to tell if that's a product of Pelletier's play or the guidance of coaching. Either way it doesn't seem like skating is an issue for either of them

Reactions: Nanuuk

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Hard to judge very young player based on the junior tournament. That being said, I've been much happier with the play of Pelletier. He just seems to have the capabilities of being a much more dynamic player. I mean it is Zary's draft year and he did make the team but he seems a bit over his head. I keep wanting to make excuses for him but the reality is he's only 6 months younger than Pelletier. There are glimpses something more but for the most part he seems to be sitting back, wondering whats going to happen next. Hopefully, its just nerves and possibly due to playing a position hes not a costume to. Right now, he kind of reminds me of Bennett out there, sure some Flames fans will love that.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Canada - Finland today. 1AM starting time but I'll try to not pass out before that

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
Also let's not take a whole lot away from the World Juniors. Within a couple shifts, Zary can go from getting easily knocked over along the boards to cycling effectively, pushing hard against some pretty big guys. He's a 13th forward right now and has a different role than what I'd figure he has in the dub, and going forward to the NHL. Same with Pelletier, he's being put in a defensive, cycling role and I doubt he's really looking for the fast break. At least looking at Pelletier he isn't pushing for them and is playing safe. It's impossible to tell if that's a product of Pelletier's play or the guidance of coaching. Either way it doesn't seem like skating is an issue for either of them

With Kamloops he's their premier player. So no doubt this is a new position for him to be in.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Both of Zary and Pelletier have had great chances so far. Zary had 3 shots in close in his ~35 seconds of ice time so far lol.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Pelletier hits Holloways shin and it ricochets in! Zary'a finally getting his 3rd shoft of the game.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Thought Zary was more noticeable this game even with only 17 seconds of icetime. Pelletier continued to be strong.

Don't know who to root for in this SWE-USA game. God damn this Zegras kid can play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad