WJC's

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Kuznetsov is playing in the top six tonight so he should get a regular shift.

edit nvm: 1 of 7. Not sure where in the lineup he plays.
I know in the exhibition he was second pairing, and I believe he got the most icetime in the third period for Russian D.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
First time watching Kuznetsov would have to fall under the “yikes” category. Don’t want to be to rough on him because it could’ve been just an off night, but did not look good.

Reactions: Nightrain

Khrox

May 31, 2018
First time watching Kuznetsov would have to fall under the “yikes” category. Don’t want to be to rough on him because it could’ve been just an off night, but did not look good.
He ultimately went even, on for two for, on for two against, and did take a penalty (that was killed off successfully). Not necessarily a great game, but he's also like the second youngest player on the team (paired with the youngest player I believe), so bound to be a little bit of growing. His exhibition game against Canada was a LOT better than this one.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Kuz is a big boy so when he makes mistake or is caught on the ice when the opposition scores he is noticeable. I thought he was so-so last night night. Not bad, not great. The speed of the game is obviously higher than what he will see in the NCAA.

Last edited:

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
He ultimately went even, on for two for, on for two against, and did take a penalty (that was killed off successfully). Not necessarily a great game, but he's also like the second youngest player on the team (paired with the youngest player I believe), so bound to be a little bit of growing. His exhibition game against Canada was a LOT better than this one.
Fair enough. I watched pieces of the Canada game and he wasn’t impressive or unimpressive to me backed on the limited bits I watched.

He just showed horrible pucks skills and got lost often in the D zone last night for someone who was touted as a shutdown guy. Don’t think he made a clean pass either. But like I said, hopefully (and likely) just an off night.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Wolf to get the start tonight after playing half the game after Knight was yanked. Important to note that it was probably the plan for Wolf to start today initially. But does not going back to Knight against a weak Denmark team tonight signify Wolf could be the starter for the rest of the tournament?

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Zary appears to have been benched in the 2nd (no big mistakes but a few small meh plays). Pelletier misplaced a pass on a 3 on 1, not a great game for the guys so far.

Edit: Zary got his first shift about 10 minutes in. His best shift of the game, nice entries and vision to spot teammates in behind the play.

Last edited:

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Zary appears to have been benched in the 2nd (no big mistakes but a few small meh plays). Pelletier misplaced a pass on a 3 on 1, not a great game for the guys so far.

Edit: Or he's injured. Haven't seen him almost 10 minutes in.
Probably more to do with Mercer playing well. Zary just had a good shift though

Reactions: Dack

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Probably more to do with Mercer playing well. Zary just had a good shift though
Just updated my post. Honestly neither of Mercer or Tomasino should be in contention for the 13th forward slot. Those guys are both easily everyday players, there is quite a few guys up the lineup I'd play them over.

Reactions: User1996

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I feel like for the most part Pelletier is still playing really well. Byfield was a complete dud tonight.

Zary has been meh but it’s tough to adjust to a 4th line role for sone players.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Zary actually should have received an assist on Canada's first SH goal. I didn't watch the whole game, but I don't think he was that bad. Pelletier looked a lot better than the previous game. I think he's a keeper.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014

On the goal you're talking about I don't think Zary gets an assist because the German goalies had the puck for a few seconds. I also don't think it matters that he didn't get a point. Byfield played more and had no PK ice time and didn't get a point. Holloway had 1 secondary assist playing on a line with a guy who had 6 points. Jack Quinn had one assist on a nothing play early in the game.

The German goalies were a complete mess. Tomasino and Mercer both had 3-4 points and all but one of them were goalie error. Zary only had a little over 10 minutes of ice time. About 2 of those minutes was PK time and another 3-4 were in the 3rd when Canada was basically trying not to score.

I say this because though I know no one here is freaking out people on CP were when I read their game thread.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Holloway out today. 12F’s so hopefully more ice for Zary.

He and Pelletier slated to play together flanking Bustfield

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I actually thought both of Zary and Pelletier were better than they were against Germany.

They had some good chemistry IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mazatt

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
I actually though both of Zary and Pelletier were better than they were against Germany.

They had some good chemistry IMO.
What I noticed too. Not super standout but far from a poor performance. Liked Zary a bit more though.

Reactions: Dack

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Zary is weird to me. When he's on the rush he'll get easily smother against the boards but as the game went on there were plays where he was controlling it in the corners and cycling well with Pelletier.

Both of them didn't show too much high level skill but they were grinding away and were a very effective grouping on the forecheck. Slovakia was just super effective defensively this game in clogging lanes and keeping players to the outside for the most part, and they weren't trying to force plays that weren't there, while taking some worse opportunities that were there. Both guys were very effective along the boards as a general note. Zary seemed like he had higher peaks and lower lows than Pelletier throughout the game, while Pelletier was a lot more consistent in his effort and abilities with not trying to do too much offensively.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Their line had some good moments on the boards establishing possession. Zary made some good defensive plays. Pelletier was skating well and had a few chances. Surprised at how physical he is.

Not great not bad either. Byfield too passive again.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Despite being a winger, it feels like Pelletier is always back on the rush and is covering for the D on the rush at points. Good recongition of when to come back and is hustling to forecheck, and then to get into position to allow Canada's D to be a bit more aggressive imo

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Pelletier is a stud.

Zary still looks rusty to me but I like the energy he brings.

Byfield has played well tonight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad