WJC Semifinal: Jan 3 GDT - Russia vs. Sweden

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
He wasn't bad or anything. Most likely a move to get the team going.

Damn this board is slow today.
I'll disagree. Aside form the fact i expected to see Gistedt start the game cause he looked like the better, more ready goalkeeper in the other games i saw, Henroth was fooled way too easily on 1vs1 situations that led to the 1st and 3rd goal. Looks like he has some work left to do to not be caught out of position.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Well, he aint on the bustlevel as Daigle, but he definately haven't been playing a good game today.

Anyway, i have a sollution for the swedes to score: Stop playing ping pong in the corners, get people infront of the net, and shoot the fricking puck!

They´ve been watching too much of the Sedin twins cirka 2002.

Screen and shoot screen and shoot.

If I was Russian I´d feal totally calm when Sweden is in their offensive zone, noone takes a shot anyway.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
krysanov, makarov, cherepanov, anisimov, zubov putting on a clinic out there with stickhandling, how did some of these guys fall so low in the draft even w/ out a transfer agreement

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Well, he aint on the bustlevel as Daigle, but he definately haven't been playing a good game today.

Anyway, i have a sollution for the swedes to score: Stop playing ping pong in the corners, get people infront of the net, and shoot the fricking puck!

Why aren't u coaching Sweden yet is beyond me.

Crazyhorse

Sep 2, 2006
Gothenburg
We need to have some luck in the third in this one. Clearly, pp won't do any difference, atleast not for Sweden.

Time for the big guys to step up. I would like to see a line with Omark-Bäckström-Thuresson in the third. Nevalainen shouldn't get any more pp-time, he never uses the one-timer, he is to slow. Hjalmarsson and Ahnelöf on the powerplay.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
krysanov, makarov, cherepanov, anisimov, zubov putting on a clinic out there with stickhandling, how did some of these guys fall so low in the draft even w/ out a transfer agreement

The reason why is that many NHL scouts look at the size. Even though the NHL has evolved a bit, u still have to be able to take the punishment, and in general our players don't do too well in a physicall game. Plust the agreement, or lack of thereof.

Gozer

Sep 22, 2005
Västerås
I'll disagree. Aside form the fact i expected to see Gistedt start the game cause he looked like the better, more ready goalkeeper in the other games i saw, Henroth was fooled way too easily on 1vs1 situations that led to the 1st and 3rd goal. Looks like he has some work left to do to not be caught out of position.

Well, I didn't say he was good. ;)
I'm almost enclined to agree with you, having seen the goals in replay a couple of times.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
I'm watching the game and I haven't seen Backstrom miss a pass, his linemates (and Sweden's forwards) are slow and ineffective against the Russian defense.

I´ve seen him miss plenty, and keep in mind, they only passes he makes are easy ones 10 feet open ice, or even shorter along the boards. He hasn´t set his linemates up with a single decent pass all game long.

The only thing he´s done is hit the post on a breakaway.:teach:

And that´s not a good thing by any means..

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
In order for Sweden to beat a russian team (any russian national team) we need to fulfill a few criteria:

1. Our goalie must be better than theirs
2. Our D must be mobile as heck
3. Our team play must be smarter, especially in our own zone

Now, Varlamov is better than both Gistedt and Enroth, our D is slow and the russians have a better team game. Sweden is trying to outskate and out-deke the russians, which is pretty silly considering that the russians are better skaters and puck handlers.

Crazyhorse

Sep 2, 2006
Gothenburg
In order for Sweden to beat a russian team (any russian national team) we need to fulfill a few criteria:

1. Our goalie must be better than theirs
2. Our D must be mobile as heck
3. Our team play must be smarter, especially in our own zone

Now, Varlamov is better than both Gistedt and Enroth, our D is slow and the russians have a better team game. Sweden is trying to outskate and out-deke the russians, which is pretty silly considering that the russians are better skaters and puck handlers.

Word.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
How's Valentenko in today's game? Heard he's having a good tournament so far.

Kaktus*

Cheap shot BS... I can not believe it.. I hope that moron gets 10 minutes.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
I´ve seen him miss plenty, and keep in mind, they only passes he makes are easy ones 10 feet open ice, or even shorter along the boards. He hasn´t set his linemates up with a single decent pass all game long.

The only thing he´s done is hit the post on a breakaway.:teach:

And that´s not a good thing by any means..

Sweden looks like hell today. Backstrom = scapegoat.

Ribban

May 16, 2005
USA
umm, I think Backstrom has been very good this tournament.

The problem is that most people don't get that a playmaker needs his line mates to skate and move as well. From what I hear on the web feed, it sounds as if we (the Swedes) are standing very still off the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad