WJC Semifinal: Jan 3 GDT - Russia vs. Sweden

phoow

Dec 6, 2006
Bäckström had a bad game, and therefor don´t start guessing what kind of player Bäckström is.. based on one game.. we´ve seen him lots, lots and lots of games.

He won´t be as good as Forsberg.. but he has the same vision.. he is somewhere in between Zetterberg and Forsberg.

That is what im saying. Its stupid to compare him to one of the best players of our generation and also one of the smartest.
I do not base my opinion on just one game, i watched all of Sweden's games and some Russian replays. I have also watched a handfull of Brynäs games and he never struck me as him being similar to Forsberg.

SChan*

lol it is so funny reading aftonbladet now where the forum posters call backstrom a bust. So sad. :shakehead

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Irritating loss...

Russia was really, really lucky in the first and Sweden played terrible the last part of the first and most of the second.

3 or 4 shots hit the post in the first period? Man, Backstrom should have scored on his great individual effort.

2 of 3 goals in the game are weak from Enroth

If we could have scored one more in the first and if we would have played Gistedt instead of Enroth I think we would have won this. Enroth was great in the quarterfinals but it was still a very, very surprising move to play him there instead of Gistedt. Why the hell do you scratch a perfect and a much more experienced goalie? True gambling from coach Bendelin which worked in the quarter finals but not in the semifinals.

Weak game from Russia? Sometimes we made them look weak, end of discussion.

I like coach Bendelin usually but this game was a dissapointment.

Also Backstrom was also reaching perhaps 80 procent of his capacity in this tournament even if you sometimes saw his greatness.

Hjalmarsson (1), Gistedt (2) and Omark (3) made the biggest positive impressions on me in this tournament. Bergfors was the biggest dissapointment. Backstrom didn't reach top form, why I don't know.

From a swedish junior hockey point of view it was still a step forward, not to forget.

Last edited:

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
I think he is talented and has better understanding of the game than most players in his age. But Forsberg-like vision? no way
http://www.philadelphiaflyers.com/sightsound/highlights/media/061231/2294.wmv
Personally, I think that Foppa is somewhat overrated. His vision is of course excellent but the guy has never scored more than 30 goals and he is made of glass. If Bäckström can stay healthy, I think I rather have a guy like him than a super fragile super star.

Roger's Pancreas*

Personally, I think that Foppa is somewhat overrated. His vision is of course excellent but the guy has never scored more than 30 goals and he is made of glass. If Bäckström can stay healthy, I think I rather have a guy like him than a super fragile super star.

He never scored more than thirty goals because he was the best playmaker of his generation. If he wanted to score, as opposed to making that extra unselfish pass, he would. Believe me.

Compare some of his stats to those of Kovalchuk. Ilya takes upwards of 350 shots a season, with only a 14% conversion percentage to show for it. Peter Forsberg takes a modest 180 and matches that shooting percentage (his career shooting percentage actually being considerably closer to 15%). If he starts shooting that damn puck instead of passing it all the time, he could score at least forty.

I know it's a common knock against Forsberg, but don't believe for a second that he isn't a dangerous goal scorer.

Paxton Fettel

Mar 3, 2006
the superior team won. Sweden got some boost from the crowd, but couldn't hold on to the momentum for more than 15-20 minutes.

logical win.

VladNYC*

Easy win? Did you see our offense?!?

I watch all the games. The USA just wanted it more but Canada's superior skill shone through in the end.

My comment makes perfect sense if you recall past years performances where a shaky team Canada kicks it into gear as soon as they have to face team Russia.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden

Foppa overrated? He is a ****ing legend. It's sad to see now when he is having constant injury problems. He is still producing the few games he plays though.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Foppa overrated? He is a ****ing legend. It's sad to see now when he is having constant injury problems. He is still producing the few games he plays though.

Calling Forsberg overrated is like calling Shaq overrated...this guy is one of the best players of his generation, and if not for injuries could have been the best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->