GDT: WJC - Latvia vs Canada, Dec 27, 2023

Forecheck1

May 19, 2023
Canada does what it needs.

Good for Rousseau to get the shutout even if its against Lativa, I thought he played really well against Finland the other day.
Big Picture - You play the back up in the 3rd to give him some action - It isnt about Rousseau - Its about the team !! ( If Rousseau goes down you have to put in a guy who as no action at all )

Chereyl Pounder speaks to fast and has no idea what she is saying - Buzz Words - Prescripted = Shouldnt be there - But its 2023/24 and ya have to tick the boxes right

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Big Picture - You play the back up in the 3rd to give him some action - It isnt about Rousseau - Its about the team !! ( If Rousseau goes down you have to put in a guy who as no action at all )

Chereyl Pounder speaks to fast and has no idea what she is saying - Buzz Words - Prescripted = Shouldnt be there - But its 2023/24 and ya have to tick the boxes right
If Canada wins they did the right thing, if they don't then everyone is a critic and knows better.

TheOne

Jun 15, 2023
How does Celebrini have a 5 point game yet is listed as +4 for +/- stats in a shutout game?

Pan

Apr 11, 2017
Minsk
Latvia is frequently in the tourney with or without Russia. They just took Bronze at the world champs too. Don't discount them because of this game.
It's in the tourney because of the Scandinavian-Baltic lobby in the IIHF that allowed a country that has no considerable development program* to participate 3 years in a row in the top division replacing two better teams without being properly promoted from the lower division.
Next time they'll come up with 12 teams format or whatever to keep Latvia and Norway in the game and you'll have a chance to play against Denmark and maybe Hungary as well /with or without Russia.

* unless "kids we're sending you to any country go learn some hockey" is their official development program.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I mean, they pronounce Savoie as Savoy so it might be something he goes with and not necessarily Miller pronouncing it wrong.

novisor

Feb 6, 2012
Kitchener, ON
Pretty boring game, but good to see Rehkopf step up. We were spoiled with that Germany-Finland game earlier. Either way, can't complain it's the Holidays and the world juniors are on all day!

Reactions: tictactoe

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I mean, they pronounce Savoie as Savoy so it might be something he goes with and not necessarily Miller pronouncing it wrong.

Miller said as much about Savoie and Poitras during play in the first period - that was what the players want to be called.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Chereyl Pounder speaks to fast and has no idea what she is saying
Jeff O'Meal is a motormouth too. I think they're being encouraged to speak that way.

Well if its pronounced Celebrate like then its because Canadians have butchered his last name for decades,maybe Generations...Gord Miller is a moron or as Bugs Bunny would say Maroon
They're not trying to represent the Platonic ideal of the name... they're trying to say that particular guy's name, and they're going to say it like he says it.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
It's in the tourney because of the Scandinavian-Baltic lobby in the IIHF that allowed a country that has no considerable development program* to participate 3 years in a row in the top division replacing two better teams without being properly promoted from the lower division.
In your unbiased opinion..

There is little to no evidence Belarus would be better than Latvians this year. But by all means, let's whine about how the developmental powerhouse which can't beat GB at men's level, despite half of a roster of adopted "citizens", isn't there.

Reactions: Vikz and luiginb

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Canada has looked like the noticeably better team in both opening games, can't ask for more. Team looks like it has some great chemistry already, I think Canada will continue to get better with each game as is what usually happens.

Reactions: jj cale

TheOne

Jun 15, 2023
Might be because he's a Canadian and Italian isn't spoken in Canada. That might be why.
Also that's how his name was/is pronounced in the states too. He was introduced in the starting lineup in Chicago by his own arena announcer every game pronounced like that. Pretty sure that poster is concern trolling.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Didn't Latvia just win a hockey medal recently, like in the last year or so?

I mean sure they aren't quite a threat to take this year's WJC's or even next year's, but there's been SOME promise shown by their hockey program as of late. :dunno:

deleted user

Sponsor
Dec 16, 2019
Cheryl Pounder does regional Sens games for TSN and she’s insightful and makes solid observations.

I’d suggest giving her a chance.
I honestly like her. She explains things and I've never been confused after listening to her. I respect that she knows the game because she played. It's not a prerequisite outright for me, but it's handy I think. Her voice is clear and doesn't cause me to recoil in agitation (lol, again not a prerequisite outright for me but if I'm listening to ppl I gotta connect with the voice and not find them annoying or something).

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Pretty boring game, but good to see Rehkopf step up. We were spoiled with that Germany-Finland game earlier. Either way, can't complain it's the Holidays and the world juniors are on all day!
TBH, I wish the games were live at night.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad