GDT: WJC - Latvia vs Canada, Dec 27, 2023

Vikz

Dec 26, 2021
Homework for Latvia after the Sweden game:
1. Fix discipline. The players should meditate or something. Fenenko should be the first in a yoga class in the morning;
2. Shuffle lines. Start with getting Vilmanis and Locmelis back together;
3. Swap Rolovs for Ozols. Not that its a big improvement (if any) since our goalies are overall mediocre, Rolovs was bad today.

Then, we might have a chance to score a goal or two.
The most important games for team Latvia are still ahead. The most important game for Mateiko and Uljanskis might be this one. Lose with dignity, raise your draft stocks, and be ready for Finland and, most importantly, Germany.

Reactions: GX

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
should be winning by 5 minamum latvia has looked like the worse team in the tournament after day 1

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
I'm not sure what to think of the Latvian showing. We played worse than in exhibition games, lacked focus and gave up at the end, which is very untypical for Latvian teams.

Pretty sure the kids had a rough debrief in the locker room. We were playing undisciplined and not just in terms of taking penalties. Our PK sucked and we were making lots of positional mistakes and not switching correctly.

The good news are that most of this is fixable, the bad news are that we're facing Canada next.

If we do adapt and learn from our mistakes and play a more structured game, we can have a close game tomorrow, otherwise it's going to be a scoring festival.

Whatever the score, we need to get our offense and PP going and score at least a couple of goals, even if we do end up losing 2-8.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Latvia always seems to give Canada a tough game. I know many people are expecting a slaughter, but I wouldn't be shocked to see a one or two goal game... assuming the Latvians can stay out of the penalty box.

Reactions: Pieck

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Latvia always seems to give Canada a tough game. I know many people are expecting a slaughter, but I wouldn't be shocked to see a one or two goal game... assuming the Latvians can stay out of the penalty box.
I would.

Because reseeding of the semis is based on goal diff, Canada's gonna need to run up the score.

The U.S. played their weakest opponent and only won by 3. A bit of a shock and an opportunity for Canada. If we can run up the score against Latvia and Germany, and, of course, beat Sweden on Friday in regulation, we could be Top Seed going into the Semis.

Having said that, that can be a curse - Slovakia looks GOOD, but I'd rather play Slovakia in the semis than the U.S. or Sweden <-- maybe I'll change my mind. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: TMLLFC

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Hopefully this game will help kick start some of the forwards offense, a lot of guys haven't really found their stride yet.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Not enough elite goal celebrations yesterday. They have to step it up. This should be good practice for the Ovi, the Matthews, and the Fluery/Yakupov-type celi!

;)

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
with the czech game going longer than expected, will NHL network stick with it or flip to Canada?

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Latvia always plays us tightly.

I’m still hoping for a 10-15 goal explosion by the boys here against our weakest opponent, though. Let’s get some chemistry and shooting confidence going here.

Reactions: jj cale

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad