GDT: WJC, Jan. 2: Sweden vs. Switzerland, 7:30 p.m. local, 1:30 p.m. EST

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
After missing that crazy interference and the finn who went bowling the previous game, i don't feel like Swedes has gotten much of an advantage from the refs.

Also that was clearly a penalty given the circumstance. He stopped a massive scoring chance with that hook.
Which would never have occurred if they called one of the infractions Sweden committed before that. That's why letting teams play is absolute garbage.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
As usual the officials give the game to Sweden. Why anyone watches this shit I don't know.
I don't think it's normal, at all. This case is pretty awful and a bad look for the WJC overall. Hard to say whether the refs are just mental midgets and giving in to the pressure of the moment, or whether someone from on high told them they NEED to have Sweden to win this game for the gate and TV people. Losing Canada and Sweden(on their home ice)wouldn't be a great scenario for the organizers.

Bad, bad look for the tournament.

Reactions: Kofi Annan

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
This reminded me of Canada vs Slovakia in the quater finals last year. Just like Canada, Sweden were heavy favorites going into this game. Probably guilty of looking ahead to their big semi-final matchup. Needed overtime to win.

Reactions: Phil McKraken

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
After missing that crazy interference and the finn who went bowling the previous game, i don't feel like Swedes has gotten much of an advantage from the refs.

Also that was clearly a penalty given the circumstance. He stopped a massive scoring chance with that hook.

What about the Muller chance though? It was a massive scoring chance even with all the Swedish sticks on him.

Sliptip

Sep 8, 2022
Reffing discussion from all sides is corny as f***, jesus. Worst part about game discussions.

This performance is worrisome from the swedish side though. Would have expected this team to win semis pretty comfortably after Canada lost, but now it looks like we will have a real battle. Czechs got a good chance to repeat final appearances. Both seem likely to get smoked by the US either way.

Feb 20, 2013
The complaints about the officiating are a little silly IMO. There were probably six or seven borderline penalties that weren't called including two hits from behind by the Swiss in the last 10 minutes of the game. Sweden had possession for most of that time and were looking for calls, Lekkerimaki in particular was trying to goad off puck interference on multiple occasions. The spear was not a penalty, but Dionicio's hook was a very obvious call and prevented a really good scoring chance. That one gets called all day every day nowadays.

The refs got the spearing call wrong, but Switzerland was very lucky not to have put themselves on the PK earlier. In all likelihood the penalties evened out to the correct result.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad