GDT: WJC, Jan. 2: Sweden vs. Switzerland, 7:30 p.m. local, 1:30 p.m. EST

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Not the smartest of plays but it's usually not a penalty in OT. The refs just let very similar plays go twice on the Muller play. If those two aren't penalties, neither is the Dionicio one. You need to have a line as a ref.

I do fault Dionicio for the lazy delay of game he took but the one in OT I think was calculated risk after all the previous non calls.

I have no strong opinion on the call. It was a tough call, no doubt about that. Be it 5 on 5, 2nd period, I would say: A penalty. I a 3 on 3 overtime ... I don't know. Would need to watch the replay several times. The refs were OK for 2 periods but the third became a mess. There were a few clear fouls on both sides they let be, then that ridiculous penalty 2 mins to go. They even called it 5+20 initially (WTF?), then made it 2 mins for slashing (what slashing)? I don't think they would be intentionally pushing Sweden to the SF. But they clearly set some standard in the first two period and then were unable to maintain them in the third. That's always bad and confusing for the players.

Still, I think Dionicio should have avoid that engagement. It couldn't have any other significant impact on the situation on the ice than the risk of taking a penalty. Definitely a strange and a bit bitter ending of the game even for me as a neutral spectator. Such thriller games shouldn't be decided by controversial penalty calls.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
your on home ice.. you are equal favorites to usa and above finland and cze.. i am tired of your nonsense you play the sweden is trash sweden sucks card so you can disappear when you lose.. but when you win ye run your mouth.. the act is old dude.
home ice is is not giving us any super powers

USA has their best team ever, Czechs was in final last year and just knocked out juggernaut Canada. Finns are finns, they win their share of golds. Sweden is overhyped thats a fact

and when Sweden wins u play the "Sweden cheated card".

• Haha
Reactions: hockey20000

BerthMania

Jun 3, 2022
Montréal
Very nice 3rd period and overtime. I do believe Dionicio's penalty in OT shouldn't have been called, I don't even think in a ''normal/non important game'' it would be a good penalty to call. Considering that, in overtime of an elimination game in the world juniors, it's definitly not a penalty that should have been called.

However, it's a mistake by the refs, not the fault of team Sweden. What is the justification that Sweden cheated? (asking those who believe that)

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
The optics of that penalty at the end of regulation were ATTROCIOUS

The ref wasnt calling a penalty
the swedish player complained
then he calls a penalty for spearing

just brutal

Reactions: onionsack

crowncarrier

Apr 10, 2015
And? That alone doesn't make it an illegal goal...
It's doesn't? Found this in the IIHF rules. It could be wrong but...

Goal Crease Area: Unless the puck is in the goal crease area, a player of the attacking team may not stand in the goal crease. If the puck should enter the net while such conditions prevail, the goal will NOT BE ALLOWED.

BerthMania

Jun 3, 2022
Montréal
It's doesn't? Found this in the IIHF rules. It could be wrong but...

Goal Crease Area: Unless the puck is in the goal crease area, a player of the attacking team may not stand in the goal crease. If the puck should enter the net while such conditions prevail, the goal will NOT BE ALLOWED.
Was Edstrom really in the crease? I saw the replay and if he's in the crease it's like 1 milimeter haha

Reactions: matsqq

crowncarrier

Apr 10, 2015
Was Edstrom really in the crease? I saw the replay and if he's in the crease it's like 1 milimeter haha
Yes he was. I don't like the rule so please don't think it's sonething I support. But, his heels were 100% in the crease. Doesn't matter if it's a millimeter or a foot. Either you're in or out....he was in.

Janvonpobben

Sep 15, 2021
Yes he was. I don't like the rule so please don't think it's sonething I support. But, his heels were 100% in the crease. Doesn't matter if it's a millimeter or a foot. Either you're in or out....he was in.
Inconclusive and the goalie wasnt disturbed. It is called a good goal 10/10 in todays hockey, But keep thinking that it will get called back.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Your performance in every match thread has been a disgrace if anything. Just moaning about everything.
yeah especially he comes with crazy conspiracy theories that Sweden have bought the refs in every tournament, the guy lives 0n Mars and thinks the earth is flat

crowncarrier

Apr 10, 2015
Inconclusive and the goalie wasnt disturbed. It is called a good goal 10/10 in todays hockey, But keep thinking that it will get called back.
Like I said I do not agree with it. To me he did not interfere with the goalie. But...the rule I found states Unless the puck is in the goal crease area, a player of the attacking team may not stand in the goal crease. If the puck should enter the net while such conditions prevail, the goal will NOT BE ALLOWED.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
The way the officiating has been this tourny was a little weird. It seemed closer to NHL standard than what you typically see in these international tournaments

Reactions: MXD

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4