GDT: WJC, Jan. 2: Sweden vs. Switzerland, 7:30 p.m. local, 1:30 p.m. EST

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
I do agree it's a weak ass penalty to call in OT. Didn't see the game or anything so I will not say anymore, but this particular penalty does look very weak

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Please Canada, you are irrelevant this year.
Just leave all threads alone from now on.

It’s annoying to see the whining you bring to the board and rooting for the underdogs.
1704293521208.jpeg

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I just finished watching... the call on Meile was egregious. You cannot have played hockey at all if making that call. The call on Dionicio? He put himself in a bad spot which is something he makes a habit of... why was he playing defense going forward there? In the middle of the ice 3 on 3? Brain dead.

Penalty is soft for overtime, but Dionicio will be a Swiss league mainstay and not an NHLer if he does not reign his game in. He has tremendous tools and talent.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I just finished watching... the call on Meile was egregious. You cannot have played hockey at all if making that call. The call on Dionicio? He put himself in a bad spot which is something he makes a habit of... why was he playing defense going forward there? In the middle of the ice 3 on 3? Brain dead.

Penalty is soft for overtime, but Dionicio will be a Swiss league mainstay and not an NHLer if he does not reign his game in. He has tremendous tools and talent.
I agree that Dionicio has to clean up his game and I do fault him for the delay of game he took (which was actually his 2nd dumb penalty that led to a goal against) and handed Sweden a free goal but not for the call in OT. You don't expect such a call in an OT game if everything was let go previously. Just seconds ago, Miles Muller had multiple Swedish sticks in his skates during his chance and the refs let lots of similar stuff go earlier in the game as well. If you wanna adjust your refing during a game, you do it during the 40' of the game, not in OT. As a player you have to adjust to the refing or you're the idiot if you're consistently whacked at etc but don't do any of it yourself. Was Dionicio out of position and that's why he did it? Probably. But we're talking about 3vs3 which has absolutely nothing to do with structured hockey. When the opponent has the puck you're almost always chasing.

I called out Dionicio for bad penalties many times but you really can't fault him there in my view. These refs should lose their license. I know that refing is tough and you can't see everything or get everything right. It's much easier to just rant about refs sitting on a couch in front of a TV. Still, as I already said, there needs to be some cohesion if you're refing. You can't change your refing in OT of an elimination game. That's not acceptable. Also, the Meile penalty alone should lead to an indefinite ban for those refs. One of them was standing right next to Meile looking right at it. He must have seen it correctly and even if not, they literally looked at the review. They saw the exact same thing we all saw. I don't think you'll find two more refs worldwide working games of a similar level who think that this was actually a penalty. And that's not even taking into account the timing of the penalty, right towards the end of a tied elimination game of an international tournament. I don't usually criticize refing but there's no excuse for this. I don't know about their motives but I feel like you can only do this on purpose. Either way that should be the last game they ever worked in hockey. If I spot them again this tournament I'll be seriously upset.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad