GDT: WJC: Finland Vs Czechia | 29th December @ 12:00PM MT

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
I didn't expect us to win, but I really wanted to see us play. I worked pretty hard today as well. Oh well. I can't see us playing tomorrow if we have a positive case today. We may end up losing to Austria 1-0 as well :laugh:
Thank god for no relegation... Belarus was this close to taking our spot.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Aatu Räty is lucky he had to stay home playing liiga games and not get covid on a soon to be cancelled tournament

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
The vacs give 70-80% shield for covid-19 and Omicron spreads more easily than earlier variants. I was at a bar two weeks ago and got it while being double vaccinated.
Moreover, all the other people at the bar had the corona pass, meaning double vaxxed or recent negative test. So the source was likely also double vaxxed (as it's over 4/5 of the adult pop).

chauron

Jan 5, 2014
Canada has been under fairly onerous restrictions for the past year and a half going on two years.

The players here are all fully vaccinated, that’s the major difference along with the science supporting that Omicron is far less lethal particularly in vaccinated people.

Regarding the omicron lethality, once that is no longer a hypothesis but a validated fact, then the restrictions can be lifted. That moment is not now AFAIK. I am fairly sure the Canadian health officials rather want to play safe and be overly prepared than be surprised in the same way than Italy, Spain and UK in 2020 (disease had already penetrated deeply to population).

They should have postponed the tournament OR take harder actions to make it a real bubble, just in case. Open tournament in the middle of world wide surge ... why didn't they calculate this scenario.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Regarding the omicron lethality, once that is no longer a hypothesis but a validated fact, then the restrictions can be lifted. That moment is not now AFAIK. I am fairly sure the Canadian health officials rather want to play safe and be overly prepared than be surprised in the same way than Italy, Spain and UK in 2020 (disease had already penetrated deeply to population).

They should have postponed the tournament OR take harder actions to make it a real bubble, just in case. Open tournament in the middle of world wide surge ... why didn't they calculate this scenario.

I agree with your last point. Should have been a bubble and more contingencies built into the schedules.

Just all around stupidity from the IIHF on this in an attempt to squeeze out as much money as they could from this.

Reactions: Swipes

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Canada has been under fairly onerous restrictions for the past year and a half going on two years.

The players here are all fully vaccinated, that’s the major difference along with the science supporting that Omicron is far less lethal particularly in vaccinated people.

Yeaaah no, that is patently not true. Outside of the original lockdown, so long as you've been vaccinated, you can do pretty much whatever you want. Only in the Omicrom wave (which has also shown significant immune escape) have there been new restrictions.

Preventing the unchecked spread of COVID-19 at a kids hockey tournament seems like a reasonable thing to do. People crying about not being able to watch a hockey game need to reassess their lives and grow up.

Reactions: Cellee

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Let all healthy working age people suffer and lose businesses, etc.
No, that's not a good plan. It's better to keep any restrictions as short time as possible, and offer fair compensation to those businesses.

Oh, I see, you were being sarcastic!

Reactions: snipes

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
What would have happened if a Finish and Czech player had both tested positive? First to report loses? Lol.
This is a damn good question! I'd like to know how it is resolved then.

Both forfeit same time so both lose and win? So both get full points? :D

Reactions: Swipes

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
This is a total farce now. I couldn't appreciate it even if Finland won this "tourney". Approaching the level of the last World Cup of hockey :thumbd::thumbd::thumbd:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad