GDT: WJC: Finland Vs Czechia | 29th December @ 12:00PM MT

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
As a Finn fan I don't want a W this way. Feels mostly just shitty to benefit from another team's bad luck without any hockey involved. Points should come from good games, when they come, not forfeits. Only then it feels like a tourney.

One more of these and I'll be ready to join the "cancel this clown show" crowd. Sorry, kiddos, who so looked forward to competing for the championship. Just... not this way.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
I agree with your last point. Should have been a bubble and more contingencies built into the schedules.

Just all around stupidity from the IIHF on this in an attempt to squeeze out as much money as they could from this.
Are you sure it's all on IIHF, not the host, about the acommodation arrangements? (I'm not going for good old "Blame Canada" but I'm not sure who got to decide what in the whole effort/brouhaha.)

You have a good point about contingencies though. Wouldn't have been that hard to include some options in the schedule just in case.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Are you sure it's all on IIHF, not the host, about the acommodation arrangements? (I'm not going for good old "Blame Canada" but I'm not sure who got to decide what in the whole effort/brouhaha.)

You have a good point about contingencies though. Wouldn't have been that hard to include some options in the schedule just in case.
WHC in Riga went well last year, so..

Reactions: DoyleG

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK

Its the IIHF's tournament so therefore the IIHF's responsibility.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
I'm wondering what would happen if two teams that should face each other both have to go into quarantine. There are no ties, so how would they determine the forfeit score?

Silky Johnson

Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
To some degree. It's hard to imagine Hockey Canada and the Canadian government have no say here. Come on.
IIHF sets the protocols. Thats their role in oversight and ownership of the tournament. They represent all countries involved.

I don't see what the Canadian Government has to do with it. I wouldn't want them to get involved in specific tournaments. They set the minimum standards for health regulations, that's it.

Reactions: Czechboy

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006
I'm wondering what would happen if two teams that should face each other both have to go into quarantine. There are no ties, so how would they determine the forfeit score?

Similarly I wonder would it be possible to win the tournament on consecutive forfeits?

Or is it so that if enough teams go to quarantine they cancel the tournament?

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
IIHF sets the protocols. Thats there role in oversight and ownership of the tournament. They represent all countries involved.

I don't see what the Canadian Government has to do with it. I wouldn't want them to get involved in specific tournaments. They set the minimum standards for health regulations, that's it.

On a federal level, not much I don't think, except with regards to cross-border travel.....but the provincial government decides just how packed that arena is going to be.

Reactions: Jussi and Cellee

Silky Johnson

Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
On a federal level, not much I don't think, except with regards to cross-border travel.....but the provincial government decides just how packed that arena is going to be.

No, they decide how packed it CAN be at a maximum. IIHF decides how packed it WILL be to that maximum.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
According to the Czech team, the player tested positive has absolutely no symptoms, in other words, he's a healthy guy. And this is how it is going to be with 99% of athletes tested positive. They are young, fit, vaccinated, getting infected by a mild variant of the virus. Just sayin',

Reactions: AB13

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
No, they decide how packed it CAN be at a maximum. IIHF decides how packed it WILL be to that maximum.

.....what? :laugh:

Are you saying the provincial gov't can put a cap of, say, 10k people, and then IIHF can restrict it even further?

According to the Czech team, the player tested positive has absolutely no symptoms, in other words, he's a healthy guy. And this is how it is going to be with 99% of athletes tested positive. They are young, fit, vaccinated, getting infected by a mild variant of the virus. Just sayin',

Pretty much. These kids probably have no idea they're even sick until some doctor on-site tells them they are, and then it's curtains for the whole team.

Crazy times.

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006

The thing is that you never can tell how it turns out. I know a healthy, young person who was hospitalized due omicron.

Its not ethical to risk anyone's health / to catch a contagious disease for entertainment.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Its the IIHF's tournament so therefore the IIHF's responsibility.
IIHF is to blame, but they didn't just dictate to Canada how it's all done. I bet the host had some say in a few things at least. (Maybe they didn't listen?)

If you follow the money, the host usually gets some scraps off the table, so maybe a more bubbly accommodation could have been economically done even with the IIHF bossing around.

Reactions: RBbandit

Silky Johnson

Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
What?

No. If the Alberta government says no fans tonight, it is no fans tonight.

Exactly, then the Maximum the IIHF could allow is 0. My point it the government sets the minimum standards. IIHF decides if they want to meet or exceed those standards.

Best practice and minimum standards are not the same thing. Having a bubble would be a good example of this. You don't have to have one but I bet they sure wish they had one now.

Reactions: Stubu and Czechboy

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto

The IIHF seems to have confused the U-20s for the Over-70s.

No bubble like in 2021, and now ruining the event's credibility because a few healthy vaccinated athletes basically have a cold.

Easily the most laughably incompetent organization in all of sports.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
The thing is that you never can tell how it turns out. I know a healthy, young person who was hospitalized due omicron.

Its not ethical to risk anyone's health / to catch a contagious disease for entertainment.

The point is that you have plenty of contagious diseases which can, occasionally, send even a young and healthy person to the hospital. Following this logic, just let's cancel all sport, culture, virtually everything forever, because there will always be such disease. To me, this is equally absurd to "ban car traffic because you never know if your car is not going to hit and kill a person." The world isn't 100% safe place and it is never going to be. Diseases have always be here and always will be. This COVID did some terrible damage to healthcare systems, killed many people, it was reasonable then to impose enhanced measurements. But such measurements cannot last forever, and the virus is not going anywhere. There always are some new variants emerging, waves coming, and of course there will always be hospitalizations and deaths. There is no "light at the end of the tunnel" in the sense that the virus would disappear. What is less ethical: Starting to live with the virus as with a normal disease which sadly kills some people as many other diseases do, or bullying entire societies perpetually?

Sorry for offtopic.

Reactions: RBbandit and AB13

Daimon

Sep 1, 2006
What a joke. Isn't everyone participating in this tournament vaccinated? How long will this craziness continue?

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Exactly, then the Maximum the IIHF could allow is 0. My point it the government sets the minimum standards. IIHF decides if they want to meet or exceed those standards.

Best practice and minimum standards are not the same thing. Having a bubble would be a good example of this. You don't have to have one but I bet they sure wish they had one now.

The province sets maximum standards.

IIHF can't "exceed" anything, even if they want to.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Event closes
    • Updated: