GDT: WJC: Finland Vs Czechia | 29th December @ 12:00PM MT

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Two doses doesn't quite cut it vs. Omicron.

I can't even get my 3rd dose here, and probably won't be getting it before February.

Apparently not, since the vast majority of cases reported are seen in people with two shots already.

Reported to be highly contagious, but also by all accounts relatively mild.....no significant uptick in hospitalizations, ICUs or deaths either.

That said, hard to gauge right now with all the information (or misinformation) flying around. I'm not too concerned, chances are we've all already had it at some point and never even realized it. :laugh:

Also.....no booster until February? Who knows, maybe by then you won't even need it.

I'm just hoping we don't end up in a loop where a booster is required every 3-4 months. :help:

Reactions: 03282022

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Let's just lock down everything.

No more jobs for anyone, we all just hide inside forever from now on.

Let's just move immediately to private health care so we don't have to pay for the unvacinated to be in ICUs and they can figure that out with their providers.

Reactions: Kleefeld

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
We were going to lose and I was STILL really excited to watch the Czechs play the Finns (I really enjoy watching the big 5 play). 1-0 might be out best case scneario and no one got hurt. I'd give the GAA and Save percentage to our 3rd goalie to pump his stats... Kral, son of the guy that has helped run Czech hockey into oblivion.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I don't follow women's hockey closely but it was an outrage! A tonne of noted media members complained and they are trying to get it back on track. 2 years in a row without a U18 for the ladies is not right. I say this as someone who woulnd't have watched anything but the Czech ladies in the quarters (if they even made the tourney).

One of my fav Canadian posters keeps saying 'follow the money' in hillarious little comments (I think he's being funny?) and he's bang on for this one!

Without a doubt.

The IIHF released a statement in response to the criticism over canceling it, and even they admitted there were "economic incentives" for allowing the WJC to continue. :facepalm: :laugh:

IIHF - Addressing tournament cancellations

Reactions: Jussi

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
We were going to lose and I was STILL really excited to watch the Czechs play the Finns (I really enjoy watching the big 5 play). 1-0 might be out best case scneario and no one got hurt. I'd give the GAA and Save percentage to our 3rd goalie to pump his stats... Kral, son of the guy that has helped run Czech hockey into oblivion.
I was looking forward to the game with the hope you guys could pull off the upset. I'm not in a position to comment on the cause for the recent downturn, bit you guys put on an awesome tournament in Ostrava and the support for the game at this level remains strong. I'll come back for the next time you host and will hope things improve by then.

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Few things ... on December 1st in Canada... schools were open, things were good and most were living their lives. There really wasn't much going on. December 15th it got a little worse.

I assume hotel decisions and not doing a bubble was made around the 1st and, at that time, it was pretty clear sailing. SPengler was still happening, NHL hadn't started postponing games and the Olympics were still on.

So please don't blame Canada for this.

Having said that - they should've just done a bubble in an abundance of caution to make sure this happens without a hitch. Then I'd be okay with the forfeitures but I currently picture a US player or a Czech one going in the hotel elevator and there is a couple on their honeymoon in there.lol

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Since I'm ranting a bit... aren't the Czechs and US about 500kms apart? One in Red Deer and other in Edmonton. These means both cities have it swimming around unless I'm wrong. It almost seems certain that if playoffs happen that a team will forfeit a game!

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
That's fair. Another target for blame would be the national teams deciding not to give the players individual rooms.
My question is this.. who makes the hotel decision? IIHF, Hockey Canada, each nations federation?

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Simple hotel solution that I read yesterday.. get the chains to sponsor the teams..

Put a big Marriot badge on Team Canada Helmets
Trump Towers on the US
Econolodge on the Czechs

Reactions: Cellee

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
Since I'm ranting a bit... aren't the Czechs and US about 500kms apart? One in Red Deer and other in Edmonton. These means both cities have it swimming around unless I'm wrong. It almost seems certain that if playoffs happen that a team will forfeit a game!

only 150km or so. We broke our previous daily recorded cases on the 26th iirc from the update yesterday.

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Reactions: The Head Crusher

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
I don’t understand how they went ahead with this year’s tournament with no flexibility built in. No ability to move games around, and no alternate players (taxi).

The WJC deserved better than this.
Agreed, although a taxi squad creates a bigger advantage for deeper programs such as Canada and the USA.

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
I didn't expect us to win, but I really wanted to see us play. I worked pretty hard today as well. Oh well. I can't see us playing tomorrow if we have a positive case today. We may end up losing to Austria 1-0 as well :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad