GDT: WJC: Finland Vs Czechia | 29th December @ 12:00PM MT

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
They already set the precedent that they wouldn’t change around the games and would instead impose forfeits.
The Czechs have already forfeited tonight they are talking about moving their game tomorrow later so it doesnt run into the 24 hour quarantine. Not the same as what happened with the US as they already play the late game tonight.

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
Oh the refs will be wearing masks?

[insert FlexSeal meme here]

It's at least 80% in Ontario I think, not sure about Alberta......although who knows when Canada decides that "fully vaxxed" means "two shots plus a booster". The number would drop significantly.

i am canadian lol its 2 doses atm and pretty sure it was 70 or 76% of population that had it i seen yesterday but boosters going around.. i can get mine by mid febuary..

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Oh the refs will be wearing masks?

[insert FlexSeal meme here]

It's at least 80% in Ontario I think, not sure about Alberta......although who knows when Canada decides that "fully vaxxed" means "two shots plus a booster". The number would drop significantly.

Two doses doesn't quite cut it vs. Omicron.

I can't even get my 3rd dose here, and probably won't be getting it before February.

Reactions: Cellee

Apari

Nov 13, 2012
There is definitely a time issue with the next game being tomorrow at 2:30 PM MT, but somebody posted the relevant Bob McKenzie tweet about a request being made to the IIHF to postpone (or switch) that game so this scenario doesn't happen.

The Czechs have already forfeited tonight they are talking about moving their game tomorrow later so it doesnt run into the 24 hour quarantine. Not the same as what happened with the US as they already play the late game tonight.

Isn't the game in like 28 hours so shouldn't there be enough time even without rescheduling the games?

Mara

May 10, 2011
This was pretty obvious after yesterday. A lot of these players have come into contact with infected individuals by now. They should just call it and pack their bags at this point. Try again next year.

Reactions: Dingo

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Two doses doesn't quite cut it vs. Omicron.

I can't even get my 3rd dose here, and probably won't be getting it before February.

Here is Alberta?

You're right though. The "fully vaccinated" status has definitely been redefined from a practical sense with Omicron and waning immunity. At least from the likelihood of getting infected.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
The only good thing about covid is more and more young people are realizing that the government neither has their best interests at heart nor has any competency to do anything whatsoever. As you get older you'll get wiser.

Or even dumber.

Mara

May 10, 2011
This is a hockey thread. It's not the government's fault the IIHF decided to try to play the tournament without any kind of contingency plan for postponing games.

It's a tough situation. Many of these players have clubs to return to, clubs that pay them a salary. Some of the players are difference makers in pro leagues, and the clubs are suffering just by having these players go to these trounaments. IIHF has to run things on a tight schedule and there's probably not much wiggle room.

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I understand it was "not the real thing".....that said, I'm not too familiar with the women's hockey tourneys or if they even have a "WJC", but this was the second year in a row that their tourney got kiboshed while the WJC goes on as scheduled.

No outrage, just amused by the double standard I guess. Money talks!
I don't follow women's hockey closely but it was an outrage! A tonne of noted media members comlplained and they are trying to get it back on track. 2 years in a row without a U18 for the ladies is not right. I say this as someone who woulnd't have watched anything but the Czech ladies in the quarters (if they even made the tourney).

One of my fav Canadian posters keeps saying 'follow the money' in hillarious little comments (I think he's being funny?) and he's bang on for this one!

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
It's a tough situation. Many of these players have clubs to return to, clubs that pay them a salary. Some of the players are difference makers in pro leagues, and the clubs are suffering just by having these players go to these trounaments. IIHF has to run things on a tight schedule and there's probably not much wiggle room.
That's fair. Another target for blame would be the national teams deciding not to give the players individual rooms.

Reactions: Czechboy and MXD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad