WJC: Dec 27 GDT - Canada 6 USA 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
Tons of indivdual talent and little team success is right on the mark..so far. As far as being up there, or worse than the primadonna's Russia is famous for producing, not even close. the difference hear being, the USA actually works hard. the Russian Primadonna's of years past were ,for lack of a better term pansy's, you'd hit them and they'd crumble, they wouldnt go for the pucks in the corners and gave easy after a relative small pounding. Heck even Ovechkin was bad when he was checked, didnt play all that physical at all, but waht makes ovechkin great is he learned and adjusted when he came to N.A. look back at the last 2 gold medal games, the Russians just crumbled under the intense physical barrage the Canadian put them under, not to mention the skilled play of the 2005 team, that team was something else, ive never seen a team play like that they were simply awesome, no body could match them. back on topic though. the US doesnt give up when the going gets tough, they fight back, and for that they should never be compared to the Russian prima donnas of years past.

Worthy of a jingoist, for lack of better term. Doublecheck with Teams Canada's 99,02 and 03 issues. How can anybody compare "the little team success" of US to the "little teams success" of Russia is also beyond me.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
yah, I know nothing of the program other than it is producing some fine high end talent. I do understand what you are getting at, there is nothing worse than an old boy network, much like Team Canada at the Highest Level (look at the Olympic team and the Oilers of old, and current with handing out coaching postions and going for good old Alberta boys over better talent) but I dont think comparing them to the Russians any sense is good, there is not a team i despise more (other than the canucks and flames) than the 2001-2003 Russian WJC teams, they were dirty, selfish, whinny and downright the worst when it came to "lumberjacking" amd diving.

Maybe it was a poor comparison. I guess for a long time, American players were known as hard-working, blue-collar types with not a lot of flash. I think that trend is over and you're seeing a lot more natural talent. While I like to see that, it's also bringing with it egos and the collapse of the team concept.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Worthy of a jingoist, for lack of better term. Doublecheck with Teams Canada's 99,02 and 03 issues. How can anybody compare "the little team success" of US to the "little teams success" of Russia is also beyond me.

the 03 Gold medal game was just on TV over the weekend, and yes, the Russian team is the dirtiest ive ever seen.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Russians haven't won gold at a major non-junior international tournament - World Championships, Olympics or World Cup - since 1993. Every tournament they enter with as much talent as anybody. Every year it's the same result - they lose a game in the medal round. They've shown that if they can bring their talent together and play a team game - they won silver at the 1998 Olympics with a tight-knit group, despite missing several marquee players - they can do very, very well.

The Russian Hockey system has been plagued by hot dogging prima donnas and politics for years. Tarasov would roll over in his grave if he saw what has happened to Soviet/Russian hockey.

MHX

Hockey Makes Us...
Nov 2, 2006
So far, team Canada has been doing well in the tournament. I've been impressed with Carey Price. He's a fantastic goalie! This team is loaded with talent. It's gonna be great seeing these names in the HNL soon.

Pipeandin

Dec 7, 2004
Some people on here really have no idea what they are talking about. Not saying I am an expert, but. EJ honestly played a good game. He threw his stick to try and prevent a goal? So what, trying to stop a goal, shows good effort. JJ should be getting grilled for that. If he didnt turn that puck over EJ would of "had" to throw his stick. Not a great play, but its not like he wanted to cost the game. US is in a lot of trouble and needs to rebound fast. I think EJ has been better than JJ, neither have been BAD. Lots of pressure I imagine. JJ really has some sweet moves, I think he is dynamite on the PP. He is going to be a star.

Kane is a stud, I think Frazee needs to playthe next couple games. Hopefully this will be a turn around.

Alison

Sep 7, 2005
sudbury
Everybody seems to have a hard-on for Staal. He definitely looked pretty good, but he was -2 today and him being burned on the outside directly lead to that goal were Price was interfered with.

Actually all the Canadian Dmen were negative players today except Letang and Bourdon who were both plus 3. Obviously +/- doesn't always mean a lot, so take it for what it's worth.

Which means he should have only been a minus one. Staal burned Eric Johnson a few times out there and was one of if not the best defence man out there. He is not selfish and does not take stupid penalties. Staal is out there to be defense not use his offense which is Letang and Bourdon's job, so if you look at what each had to do separatly it makes sense that Staal and Parent would be minus.

supermoon

Mar 11, 2003
Visit site
Which means he should have only been a minus one. Staal burned Eric Johnson a few times out there and was one of if not the best defence man out there. He is not selfish and does not take stupid penalties. Staal is out there to be defense not use his offense which is Letang and Bourdon's job, so if you look at what each had to do separatly it makes sense that Staal and Parent would be minus.

IIHF stats show him as a -2.

Anyways, I don't want this to sound like I'm ripping Staal, because I'm not. He's played quite well, but I just think he's starting to get really over-hyped on these boards.

I did not see Staal "burn" EJ a few times. How exactly did Staal do this? I did see Staal make a number of really nice defensive plays out there, but he was also beat a handful of times as well. Over-all I think so far the Parent-Staal pairing was more dominant last year.

Bourdon and Letang do provide both offense but also defense as well. I don't think the argument that Staal and Parent are the shutdown pairing so it makes sense for them to be minus holds much water.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
great game by the canadiens. Even though i was hoping for a US win i knew they really didn't have a prayer. US goaltending in this game was pretty awful. Carey Price looks great for the canadiens. Canada has too many weapons for any team to take em down.

Bloggins

Dec 1, 2005
It was an entertaining game that's for sure. The announcers were commenting on how great a 7 game series would be between these two. I'd like to see it;)

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
It was an entertaining game that's for sure. The announcers were commenting on how great a 7 game series would be between these two. I'd like to see it;)

Hasn't Canada beat the USA pretty much every time? I think I heard a stat that says that the USA has only won 5 of 30something games between the two in tournament history.

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site

Anyways, I don't want this to sound like I'm ripping Staal, because I'm not. He's played quite well, but I just think he's starting to get really over-hyped on these boards.

I did not see Staal "burn" EJ a few times. How exactly did Staal do this? I did see Staal make a number of really nice defensive plays out there, but he was also beat a handful of times as well. Over-all I think so far the Parent-Staal pairing was more dominant last year.

Bourdon and Letang do provide both offense but also defense as well. I don't think the argument that Staal and Parent are the shutdown pairing so it makes sense for them to be minus holds much water.

Staal seems to me to be good defensively and decent offensive skills but tries to overhandle the puck and doesn't have the puck skills for it.

jaydub*

i think maybe 5% of posts in this forum will be objective. most of the posters are overcome by jingoism that leads them to say things like Staal is better than EJ, or other nonsense

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
the Johnsons and Zatkoff need to find their game....

anyone who read this thread during the game probably knows how i picked on Zatkoff, he was horrible in the first 30 minutes of the game. his positioning was awful, played too deep in the net and made bad choices. towards the end he improved. If the US wants to advance, he needs to find his game, or they need to play thier back up.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
i think maybe 5% of posts in this forum will be objective. most of the posters are overcome by jingoism that leads them to say things like Staal is better than EJ, or other nonsense

in the 2 head to head games they've played, Staal outclassed EJ by a far margin. Plain and simple

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad