WJC: Dec 27 GDT - Canada 6 USA 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

kovalev27hf

Aug 3, 2005
nyc
Pretty good game that had it's great moments and ended with the better team winning convincingly.Give credit to the U.S for coming back and battling,they made it tougher then the final score indicated.

Toews was awesome,super game tonight from him.

I'll say it again....while the 2 Johnsons have bigger upside then Parent and Staal both Canadian d-men are currently the better defensmen then their American counterparts.i've watched all four guys two years at this tournament now and both are just steadier,smarter players at this point in time.The potential for the Johnson's is very high,all the tools are there for them to become impact d-men but i've heard lot's of people swear they are superior to Staal-Parent right now and it just isn't the case.The game is played on the ice not on potential and right now Parent and Staal are better players where it matters.........on the ice.They just play the game smarter and 5 times more in control.

Good game,happy with the win.The U.S made us earn it and we did.Just the kind of game we needed in order to build on.............i thank them for that.

great post and i completely agree

by the way bourdon and letang were definitely better today than yesterday

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Just because a guy is having a bad tourney doesn't mean he's a bust.

People put WAY too much stock into this tournament.

He's a 19-year-old kid who was an all-star at last year's tournament. It's only natural to expect him to take another step forward. He has not. In fact, he hasn't been nearly as impressive as he was last year, when he was one of the few bright spots on an otherwise disappointing U.S. team.

I'm not writing him off as a bust. I think he still has all-star potential. But when I see a kid with that kind of potential, who played that well last year as an 18-year-old, take this kind of step back in the first two games (and let's keep in mind it is only two games), there is something amiss. He made some really stupid plays today. He's got the potential to rebound over the next four or five games, but U.S. coaches, players and fans have every right to be disappointed in his play, and to expect much more.

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
I'll say it again....while the 2 Johnsons have bigger upside then Parent and Staal both Canadian d-men are currently the better defensmen then their American counterparts.i've watched all four guys two years at this tournament now and both are just steadier,smarter players at this point in time.The potential for the Johnson's is very high,all the tools are there for them to become impact d-men but i've heard lot's of people swear they are superior to Staal-Parent right now and it just isn't the case.The game is played on the ice not on potential and right now Parent and Staal are better players where it matters.........on the ice.They just play the game smarter and 5 times more in control.
Agree.
Both Johnsons have a lot of hype and ARE very good players in this age group...but today they looked pretty overmatched.
Might be a good time to revisit the "USA has the best defense in the tourney" threads, hmmm?

Souffle

A soupçon of nutmeg
Aug 9, 2003
Le Creuset
Visit site
Jack Johnson did not play well. He made a bad pinch on the first Canadian goal, took a bad penalty that put his team down two men in the second (although Canada was ineffective on that 5-on-3) and he foolishly threw his stick to set up Toews' penalty shot. He needs a jolt of discipline.

It was actually EJ who threw his stick; JJ coughed up the puck at the blueline. Anyway, I pretty much agree with everything else. JJ is kind of like Downie in the way that both players need to play on that thin edge of the wedge without falling off. But a difference is that JJ almost looks bored or something, like he just doesn't take it seriously, though maybe his insistence on staying in college partly off-colours that perception.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Jack Johnson did not play well. He made a bad pinch on the first Canadian goal, took a bad penalty that put his team down two men in the second (although Canada was ineffective on that 5-on-3) and he foolishly threw his stick to set up Toews' penalty shot. He needs a jolt of discipline.

I think it was Eric who threw his stick.

lilooet*

Funny to see so many crying about what happened to Price but then laughing about what happened to Zatkoff. Maybe next time the whining should be saved until after the game is over?

Either a homer, or you don't know much about hockey. The two plays were fundamentally different. Both were US penalties. Or, would've been had Helm not got lucky and scored. The former was a missed call, plain and simple, any way you slice it. Anyone who says different is just incorrect.

non-related p.s. Nice throwing of the stick. Classy. Hadn't seen that in some time - maybe since Atom.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
Disagree. Up front the US did a nice job at times and dominated scoring 3 even strength goals.

One should not have counted, and another was off a lucky bounce. Hardly dominating.

That said, the US had a great deal of pressure going in the second period.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Jack Johnson did have an awful game, but it was Erik that threw his stick at Toews.
I stand corrected. But it was a really boneheaded play. I expect more from Erik than that. Zattkov read the play well and Toews wasn't going to score. Erik throws his stick and gives Toews a penalty shot. The Erik Johnson I watched last year didn't make blunders like that.

PanthersFanatic12

Aug 2, 2005
did Mcardle play today for Canada and if so how did he look?. Or was he benched again, which i dont know whats the deal with that.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Disagree. Up front the US did a nice job at times and dominated scoring 3 even strength goals.

Dominated? I don´t know about your choice of words there. There was nothing dominating about those forwards. A fluke bounce goal and running the goalie over doesn´t count for much in my books, and the other goal was from a defenceman. How many good scoring chances did they have? 3 or 4 tops.

time

Feb 26, 2005
Agree.
Both Johnsons have a lot of hype and ARE very good players in this age group...but today they looked pretty overmatched.
Might be a good time to revisit the "USA has the best defense in the tourney" threads, hmmm?

UMM. . . I guess I just poked that hornet's nest.

itzabreeze

Jul 12, 2006
Agree.

So what order would everyone rate these players?:

-Both Johnson's
-Bourdon
-Letang
-Staal
-Parent
-Russell

lilooet*

did Mcardle play today for Canada and if so how did he look?. Or was he benched again, which i dont know whats the deal with that.

He had very limited icetime; and by very, I mean minimal. In the third, with Canada up by one, he took a dumb "too many men" call by uneccesarily touching the puck in the neutral zone immediately after hopping on the ice. Could've been a huge blunder had Canada not killed the pp. Still, it wasn't totally his fault, and he'll get a lot more icetime in the next two games.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
The US program will rarely win this tourney regularly if it doesn't teach its kids the fundamentals of a hockey game: don't turnaround the puck in the neutral zone, know when to pinch, cover one-on-one, and play defence.

Every year or so, it's the same story from the american squad: loads of talent, but seldom do we see it play a solid fundamental game. the flashy moves are ok, they work once, maybe twice. But after that, you're out.

As for Canada, they need to play a full game. I saw them dominate the 1st, suffer in the 2nd, and be a bit lucky in the 3rd. The Gagner pick is not a fav of mine. I'm pretty sure there were better bets out there in the CHL. Marchand is a mystery for me. Why is he playing on the 1st line is beyond me.

Price looked less in control than yesterday, but the US threw more bodies in front of the net. No other team does it that way in that tourney so I don't think he'll suffer the rest of the way. He lateral movement wasn't sharp on the 2nd goal. But he was solid nonetheless. Moreso that the american goalie, who did not impress me at all. He did not look technically sound.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Dominated? I don´t know about your choice of words there. There was nothing dominating about those forwards. A fluke bounce goal and running the goalie over doesn´t count for much in my books, and the other goal was from a defenceman. How many good scoring chances did they have? 3 or 4 tops.

Exactly, they played well, they did not dominate. that second goal was a blessing and anyone wouldnt scored on that. and running the goalie goal should not have counted. in the end, it worked out well though.

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
Does Alzner even get one shift a game? Not that im complaining about Canada's defence lol they are freakin awesome but im just wondering...maybe he'll get some time during the games that arent so close.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
He had a couple really strong shifts in the first period. I think you'll see more of him as the tournament progresses. I think he could be a really effective penalty killer, although penalty killing is not a problem and should not be tinkered with right now.

He didn't help his case with that too many men blunder at a critical point in the third period.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
The US program will rarely win this tourney regularly if it doesn't teach its kids the fundamentals of a hockey game: don't turnaround the puck in the neutral zone, know when to pinch, cover one-on-one, and play defence.

Every year or so, it's the same story from the american squad: loads of talent, but seldom do we see it play a solid fundamental game. the flashy moves are ok, they work once, maybe twice. But after that, you're out.

As for Canada, they need to play a full game. I saw them dominate the 1st, suffer in the 2nd, and be a bit lucky in the 3rd. The Gagner pick is not a fav of mine. I'm pretty sure there were better bets out there in the CHL. Marchand is a mystery for me. Why is he playing on the 1st line is beyond me.

Price looked less in control than yesterday, but the US threw more bodies in front of the net. No other team does it that way in that tourney so I don't think he'll suffer the rest of the way. He lateral movement wasn't sharp on the 2nd goal. But he was solid nonetheless. Moreso that the american goalie, who did not impress me at all. He did not look technically sound.

The second period was a good period from Canada, they got the early goal and let the U.S back in the game by taking stupid penatlies and playing passive. Towards the end of the 2nd though, they came around nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad