Prospect Info: With the 21st Overall Pick the Rangers Select Filip Chytil

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Not sure how we even know what Chytil's floor or ceiling are given that he's so young. If they wanted to mitigate risk, wouldn't they not draft someone that young.

I think the reference is to the 7th overall. They went safe there and took more of an upside guy in Chytil at 21.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I agree with Steve on the Crawley pick. Not only trade out of Reedy, and take a LD. Ugh!!!

I didn't like the Crawley pick and still don't. That said, a handful of pundits and lots of London/CHL fans have spoken highly of it. We'll see how it works out. Maybe he's a sleeper.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
I don't agree that Chytil is a high floor lower ceiling pick though, i think his ceiling is very high. The pick was a bit off the board though but it wasn't a low ceiling pick.

Would i have liked Yamamoto/Kostin/Tolvanen there? Absolutely, but i don't hate the pick.

The only player i really feel iffy that we took Lias over is Vilardi, but i understand why given his bad skating, NYR obviously valued skating highly in this draft.
Tolvanen is overrated. Can't really understand why everyone seems to rate him so highly... his shot is elite, but at everything else he is average at best. Reminds me too much of Pulkkinen.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
A couple of people said that Chytil was also low ceiling, high floor, or at least compared to the other players available.

This is another pick I am good with, especially considering the type of draft this was.

There's a lot here that reminds of Anisimov when he was drafted. He's raw but incredibly talented, and has only just begun to start to put the pieces together.

If Andersson is the safe pick, Chytil is the longer term prospect. This is a kid who is going to most likely need 3 or so years before he makes any permanent jump to the NHL.

He's slick and deceptive, and he's being forced to raise his game at a young age. This kid is all about possession, and has excellent command of the puck. He was work to do on his play in all three zones and his decision making, but I think those are more about his age and experience at this point.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
This is another pick I am good with, especially considering the type of draft this was.

There's a lot here that reminds of Anisimov when he was drafted. He's raw but incredibly talented, and has only just begun to start to put the pieces together.

If Andersson is the safe pick, Chytil is the longer term prospect. This is a kid who is going to most likely need 3 or so years before he makes any permanent jump to the NHL.

He's slick and deceptive, and he's being forced to raise his game at a young age. This kid is all about possession, and has excellent command of the puck. He was work to do on his play in all three zones and his decision making, but I think those are more about his age and experience at this point.

So we got a guy that might hit 40 points if he plays with Patrick Kane?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
So we got a guy that might hit 40 points if he plays with Patrick Kane?

Artem Anisimov was in that 16-22 goal, 40-45 point range before Kane.

The guy has played 553 games at the NHL level.

If you get that from 21st overall pick, in a draft like this, that's a win.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Artem Anisimov was in that 16-22 goal, 40-45 point range before Kane.

The guy has played 553 games at the NHL level.

If you get that from 21st overall pick, in a draft like this, that's a win.

Anisimov may not be a bad pick at 21 in a draft like this but I can't get excited about getting a pick that we hope becomes a mediocre NHL player, however many games he's played.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Anisimov may not be a bad pick at 21 in a draft like this but I can't get excited about getting a pick that he hope becomes a mediocre NHL player, however many games he's played.

Well that's part of the challenge of being a draft follower, we day dream about every pick being a star.

The comparison to Anisimov is mainly based on their skills levels and where they were heading into their draft year, it's not necessarily a projection.

But, if Chytil can be a consistent 20 goal, 40 point player, that's still a solid pick.

Let's keep in mind that this kid isn't even going to be 18 for another two and a half months, and he's grown somewhere around two inches and added 10-15 pounds in the last year. There's a lot of raw, moving parts here. And yet he's still playing against men.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Anisimov may not be a bad pick at 21 in a draft like this but I can't get excited about getting a pick that we hope becomes a mediocre NHL player, however many games he's played.

Agreed. Even though it's not a certainty, you hope for a top-6 forward or a top-pair D-man in the first round. Those are the picks that need to be spot on. The Andersson pick I understand. The guys with higher upside, might have a higher bust-risk as well. Andersson isn't the flashiest player in the draft, but certainly one who has the skills. Chytil is the youngest (or one of the youngest) players picked in the draft. The first rounders we have had in the last 10 years have been spot on, aside from McIlrath.

Del Zotto: Solid top-4 D man who dipped after a few years unfortunately
Kreider: 1st line LW
Miller: Potential top-6 winger
Skjei: Definitely the tools to be a top-pair D man

That's not bad for overall mid-to-late 1st rounders

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
We also drafted two kids who started playing against men when they were 17.

So we also have to take into account that they weren't cleaning up against their peers.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
We also drafted two kids who started playing against men when they were 17.

So we also have to take into account that they weren't cleaning up against their peers.

Yes. And that is why I am wary of guys like Mittlestadt and Makar. Not saying they are busts, but their production needs to be judged with the opposition in mind.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island

This board is a better place when Edge is posting!

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Somethings tells me if these kids had played in North America last year, against their fellow teenagers, more fans would be comfortable with these picks.

EEL

Sep 18, 2008
HHI
Chytil was a very good pick IMHO!
The predraft rankings are a crapshoot at best-especially in the middle of the draft.
Take in consideration his age and the fact he's playing with men so early. It's going to be a few years but well worth the wait!
Lisa will probably get a look this year.

New York RKY

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 6, 2009
Arizona
I didn't like it at first but how the rangers used their 2 picks in the first round made me happy.

They took a "safer" player with some potential and then they used their later pick to swing for the fences. I think cheetah's ceiling is by measureable at this point. Could really hit a home run here if the cards break right.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
There are two things to really keep in mind here.

1. The Rangers drafted two kids who are already playing against men in their respective countries. Clearly that experience is something the Rangers gave at least some value and consideration to in their evaluations.

2. This is one of those drafts where lists are going to be all over the map. I think if you were to look at different teams' lists, you'd probably see more variety than usual. I've generally found that the term "weaker draft class" is code for "we have to do our research because there's no clear consensus."

Andersson projects as a versatile center that can also play wing. Some of the names mentioned are pretty good comparisons. If there's one area he lacks, it might be be that top level offense. But that also shouldn't be interpreted as meaning that he is no offensive ability or upside. It just means that you probably shouldn't project him as your top one or two offensive weapons.

Chytil is a bit more of a wildcard. He's grown significantly over the last 12 months, both in his game and physically. With that, he is much more of a work in progress --- but as mentioned several times, he is also a younger prospect. I'd be curious to see if the Rangers view him as a center or wing, because I'm not sure that path is clear yet.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
I didn't like it at first but how the rangers used their 2 picks in the first round made me happy.

They took a "safer" player with some potential and then they used their later pick to swing for the fences. I think cheetah's ceiling is by measureable at this point. Could really hit a home run here if the cards break right.

I really liked the Chytil pick. He seems like he's got such a high ceiling and plenty of room to develop.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
There are two things to really keep in mind here.

1. The Rangers drafted two kids who are already playing against men in their respective countries. Clearly that experience is something the Rangers gave at least some value and consideration to in their evaluations.

2. This is one of those drafts where lists are going to be all over the map. I think if you were to look at different teams' lists, you'd probably see more variety than usual. I've generally found that the term "weaker draft class" is code for "we have to do our research because there's no clear consensus."

Andersson projects as a versatile center that can also play wing. Some of the names mentioned are pretty good comparisons. If there's one area he lacks, it might be be that top level offense. But that also shouldn't be interpreted as meaning that he is no offensive ability or upside. It just means that you probably shouldn't project him as your top one or two offensive weapons.

Chytil is a bit more of a wildcard. He's grown significantly over the last 12 months, both in his game and physically. With that, he is much more of a work in progress --- but as mentioned several times, he is also a younger prospect. I'd be curious to see if the Rangers view him as a center or wing, because I'm not sure that path is clear yet.

Keep stating exactly these points and I won't hedge my opinion the fact that both prospects played in the adult leagues was the key factor for both to be chosen instead of other available options.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Keep stating exactly these points and I won't hedge my opinion the fact that both prospects played in the adult leagues was the key factor for both to be chosen instead of other available options.

It's an interesting take though. Andersson was very, very good on the 3rd line for Husk, winning the championship in Sweden. That has to count for something.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I try and get back.

It's like trying to get home to visit family.

A large, sometimes dysfunctional, but entertaining family.

The site ditching Hockey's Future other than the board makes me pine for the time when there were good editorials. When we were writing for this site (well, more you than me), the site actually allowed for opinion pieces and not some standardized norm. It was a great site for a while. The take-over of the site killed it.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
So, I was playing Eastside Hockey Manager, and a few seasons in, Chytil does this. Thought it would be fun to share.

eriTvNR.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad