Prospect Info: With the 21st Overall Pick the Rangers Select Filip Chytil

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Steve's catching an awful lot of flack for a guy who has been putting in work on these kids all year. I actually agree with what he's saying. The Rangers passed on kids with higher ceilings to take players with higher floors. That's fine, but for an organization that lacks star power outside of the crease it can certainly come back to haunt them.

On the one hand, I understand why they did it. They've been pissing away draft picks for years and they need guys who can step in because of the giant void the lack of picks created. However, for an organization and fan base that has largely been hiding behind the "you can't get those guys where we draft" mantra for the last decade, it's a fascinating spot to be in. The same scouting staff that was rightfully crucified for taking McIlrath is now being lauded for going off the board once again in the first round; and not just once, but twice.

I felt there were better players on the board at both spots, but I very much hope to be proven wrong.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
I don't agree that Chytil is a high floor lower ceiling pick though, i think his ceiling is very high. The pick was a bit off the board though but it wasn't a low ceiling pick.

Would i have liked Yamamoto/Kostin/Tolvanen there? Absolutely, but i don't hate the pick.

The only player i really feel iffy that we took Lias over is Vilardi, but i understand why given his bad skating, NYR obviously valued skating highly in this draft.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I don't agree that Chytil is a high floor lower ceiling pick though, i think his ceiling is very high. The pick was a bit off the board though but it wasn't a low ceiling pick.

Would i have liked Yamamoto/Kostin/Tolvanen there? Absolutely, but i don't hate the pick.

The only player i really feel iffy that we took Lias over is Vilardi, but i understand why given his bad skating, NYR obviously valued skating highly in this draft.

I'm not saying he has a high floor and low ceiling. I'm saying that there were players with higher ceilings available, but likely much lower floors. I don't hate the players. I just seriously question the reasoning behind taking them at 7 and 21 when better players were on the board.

I think in my broken emotional state after watching Glass go off the board I said to take Vilardi, but I had Mittelstadt on my list at that point. What he does for a kid that has almost no dedication to physical fitness is really impressive. He seriously reminds me of Kessel in a lot of ways.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
People can say whatever they want about this pick or that pick. It doesn't mean anything. Yakupov was the #1 overall pick on how many draft boards? Scouting is an inexact science.

Saying that most scouts don't think Andersson or Chytil are worthy of where they were drafted is just talk at this point. There are reasons to like the picks and reasons to not like the picks. Unless you were picking 1st or 2nd overall this year, you can say that about every prospect, and even them, I'm sure there are some people who think they'd be better off with Patrick instead of Hischier, and vice versa.

We'll see in the next 2-3 years how it plays out.

I guess he probably also wanted to point out that you need to be special character to be 1st or second Rangers center who lead the team to Cup, especially in New York. I dont know much about Andersson, but under that terms, it could sound weird that Rangers drafted Chytil who is from very small town and comming from presently not really confident surrounding. I hope for him that Rangers know everything about him and are aware of what he is capable to develope as a person. Then it could be a steal imo.

Last edited:

Ndurpressure

Sep 1, 2016
On balance this critique is pretty fair...

...I love my team, but they close the deal on far too little hardware. The bottom line is always the bottom line. Not enough Stanley Cups at MSG.

There was probably just enough talent to get the job done over the past few years. It did not happen. So I think in addition to trading away too many first round picks for shiny objects the Rangers just suffer from a lack of leadership. Gamers. Guys that just refuse to lose and are willing to do absolutely everything to win.

This is not a team that people really fear to play and are not hard enough to play against come playoff time. They run out steam and have far too many flat performances. Disturbing qualities in a "perennial Cup contender."

That's just my sense of them. Very nice guys to have a beer with probably, but not highly obsessed, driven winners...who in many cases can be *******s.

The Rangers maybe need a few of those...along with some black eyes and fat lips after a poor performance.

Because the business they are in is ALL about winning. Period.

I'm sick of hearing how good their "room" is. The right room in hockey is one where the Stanley Cup pays a visit now and again.

This, fully. Reason why i'd love evander kane. Might be a d!$k but he hits hard, goes to the net, causes bruises, and is NOT fun to play against. He leaves a physical impression. There are other guys out there like that, too, but this team is like the crew team of the NHL

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I guess he probably also wanted to point out that you need to be special character to be 1st or second Rangers center who lead the team to Cup, especially in New York. I dont know much about Andersson, but under that terms, it could sounds weird that Rangers drafted Chytil who is from very small town and comming from presently not really confident surrounding. I hope for him that Rangers knows everything about him and are aware of what he is capable to develope as a person. Then it could be a steal imo.

Chytil is also one of the youngest players picked in the draft. He's almost 11 months younger than some other guys drafted around him

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
You guys need to just filter out the things you don't want to read and the people that make you angry. Sometimes it's not worth it to get into a prolonged back and forth with someone who obviously has some hot takes that they won't back off from. Don't get so riled up.

I understand why someone would be critical of some of our selections, but I don't really agree with the reasoning. Just leave it at that and filter out the rage-inducing stuff.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
Chytil is also one of the youngest players picked in the draft. He's almost 11 months younger than some other guys drafted around him

Just to make it clear, I fully support him and wish him and Lakatos to make team soon or later. Just from other perspective, I have always ranked Rangers among that specific exposed clubs where preassure is much higher and tickets twice more expensive no matter how many cups they won, so when they drafted Chytil I was bit like,whoo thats quite a mission for the guy :) There is no better definition for local club in CZ than for Zlin. But again this is just one of tons of aspects and Rangers scouts probably know what they are doing.

TheBPA

Jul 1, 2004
Just to make it clear, I fully support him and wish him and Lakatos to make team soon or later. Just from other perspective, I have always ranked Rangers among that specific exposed clubs where preassure is much higher and tickets twice more expensive no matter how many cups they won, so when they drafted Chytil I was bit like,whoo thats quite a mission for the guy :) There is no better definition for local club in CZ than for Zlin. But again this is just one of tons of aspects and Rangers scouts probably know what they are doing.

Just from watching admittedly limited video of Chytil, he may be different off the ice but he certainly doesn't seem to lack confidence on it.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Steve's catching an awful lot of flack for a guy who has been putting in work on these kids all year. I actually agree with what he's saying. The Rangers passed on kids with higher ceilings to take players with higher floors. That's fine, but for an organization that lacks star power outside of the crease it can certainly come back to haunt them.

On the one hand, I understand why they did it. They've been pissing away draft picks for years and they need guys who can step in because of the giant void the lack of picks created. However, for an organization and fan base that has largely been hiding behind the "you can't get those guys where we draft" mantra for the last decade, it's a fascinating spot to be in. The same scouting staff that was rightfully crucified for taking McIlrath is now being lauded for going off the board once again in the first round; and not just once, but twice.

I felt there were better players on the board at both spots, but I very much hope to be proven wrong.

Why misrepresent? They passed on higher ceiling in #7 spot but actually went for the boom at #21. Their pick at #7 was plan B by many accounts. Still they went by a STRATEGY to accomplish both things, all in the first round.

McI was a different story. They passed on a higher talent in Tarasenko and Fowler - the fallers who were cleanly on another level. Not the case here - the higher talent was taken prior to when the Rangers were able to select. Everyone left was about the same talent and most commentators noted that we SHOULD be expecting picks who were ranked in a different spot.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
To be clear.

Like Andersson as a player. Don't like where he was picked. Think he'll be fine, but doubt he becomes a star. Like I said, the pick will be justified because he'll be a decent NHL regular. Just pray that Necas, Mittelstadt and Vilardi - all centers -- don't become anything special.

Love Chytil as a player. He's a stud. Sorta like where he was picked. I think Norris was their target and took the next best option. Still think he was off the board.

I was far more upset at trading down from 102, letting Reedy go to San Jose, then picking a double-overage stay-at-home defenseman at 123, only to see Shvyryov get scooped up two picks later.

That blew my mind. I felt sick leaving the arena.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
To be clear.

Like Andersson as a player. Don't like where he was picked. Think he'll be fine, but doubt he becomes a star. Like I said, the pick will be justified because he'll be a decent NHL regular. Just pray that Necas, Mittelstadt and Vilardi - all centers -- don't become anything special.

Love Chytil as a player. He's a stud. Sorta like where he was picked. I think Norris was their target and took the next best option. Still think he was off the board.

I was far more upset at trading down from 102, letting Reedy go to San Jose, then picking a double-overage stay-at-home defenseman at 123, only to see Shvyryov get scooped up two picks later.

I love that we traded down because it's always good to trade down pretty much, did suck that Reedy went at that pick and that we picked Crawley, which i didn't like.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Andersson was definitely the safe pick at 7. There were players with higher upside on the board, but they all their respective flaws. So when they are selecting in the 1st round for the first time in 5 years, they aren't going to be too risky.

Chytil, OTOH, is a total boom pick. He may end up being the better player when we look back.

JayMan82

Apr 5, 2006
South Carolina
To be clear.

Judging by how the Rangers late picks have been working out the past decade, I think it would be a bit of an over-reaction to flip tables over late round picks.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Wants the Rangers to trade down in the 1st round, gets upset when Rangers trade down in the 4th... I know, different situations, but it shows the Rangers wanted to add some extra assets later on. Or, maybe... There wasn't a deal to trade down in the first. This wasn't a strong draft according to all the experts so why would someone want to trade up, giving up assets after already losing at least 1 asset in an expansion draft days earlier?

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
They havent drafted well since 2013. If they've done so well, why did everyone consider their prospect pool to be one of the league's worst every year since 2014?

Nobody wants their prospects. Shestyorkin and Saarela, thats about it. The 2014 draft was a disaster, and 2015 -- the best draft in 12 years -- is heading in that direction. Too early to assess 2016 but not one forward has star potential.

Again, they are a good team and rarely get chances to draft a star. You can rag on Buffalo all you want, but they have Eichel, Nylander and now Mittelstadt - all three have legitimate all-star potential.

You need stars to win Cups. They had a chance to draft two of them and went the safe route instead.

Mittelstadt and Kostin -- blows my mind how you pass up the draft's best power forward and 2nd/3rd best playmaker.

I will take it to my grave - they would still have drafted Andersson and Chytil even after trading down and adding more picks.

So you'd be looking at Chytil, Andersson, AND added the likes of Lipanov and Ikonen on top of that.

Because they haven't had a pick in the first round for 5 years. That should be pretty clear. They've hit some great guys in later rounds, but good luck in the 3rd and 4th is relative - good luck and/or good work is getting a few gems over a period of years in those rounds, not getting a solid NHLer every draft. That's what the first is for and they simply haven't been there.

They've done well with what they've had. You dismiss Shesty and Saarella like oh it's only two great picks. Yes, a fourth rounder and a third rounder, one of which is a top goalie in the second best league in the world and the other who looks like a solid NHL player. And they also have guys that the jury is still out on from recent years, as all teams do, plus their great successes in 12 and 13 - Buch, Duclair, Graves, Skjei, Nieves.

2014 was such a disaster that a team with no 1st round pick got a guy who is now one of the best goalie prospects on the planet. That's not a disaster, that's getting an excellent player with pretty crappy picks.

2015 wasn't great, but again, crappy picks and they got a great player in Saarela who they foolishly traded.

No-one from 2016 has star potential? Their first pick was 81 overall and they got a good deal in Day, that's not a disaster, that's what one would expect when you don't pick until the third round. Plus the jury is still out on some of the other picks that year.

You're confusing the picks they had with the job they did using them imo. I maintain that they've done well with what they had, they just hadn't set themselves up to get stars very well.

I can and will rag on a team that can barely get out of the basement. Winning is the point of the league, not collecting potentially good players and wasting their careers. Eichel is in contract talks already and what have they accomplished with him on his ELC? Less than nothing. Too many people fetishize potential without thinking about the fact that it's potential to do something - help the team win. That's what this is all about.

I mean this is the least offensive way possible but your unfounded opinion about what they could have done doesn't carry much weight. They picked who they wanted, the picks make sense to me, and theres absolutely nothing to prove that they could have traded down and gotten the same guys.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Ask the GMs and scouts. I call it like I see it. I don't know on what planet Morgan Frost or Robert Thomas were better prospects than Klim Kostin. Same with Tolvanen.

Ask the GMs and scouts who passed on the "best players" repeatedly? Their actions show that you aren't on the same wavelength in terms of your assessment of those players.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Why misrepresent? They passed on higher ceiling in #7 spot but actually went for the boom at #21. Their pick at #7 was plan B by many accounts. Still they went by a STRATEGY to accomplish both things, all in the first round.

McI was a different story. They passed on a higher talent in Tarasenko and Fowler - the fallers who were cleanly on another level. Not the case here - the higher talent was taken prior to when the Rangers were able to select. Everyone left was about the same talent and most commentators noted that we SHOULD be expecting picks who were ranked in a different spot.

I'm not misrepresenting anything. This is all of my own opinion and I feel there was more 'boom' available in Tolvanen, Jokiharju, and Kostin.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
To be clear.

this whole take is spot on. agreed.

few things, i do like where andersson was picked because if we waited, im afraid he's gone. he was highly rated on multiple boards. he was there at 7 and they wanted him next as their BPA so they got their guy. he was the most developed physically and also had the best on ice 2 way play.

the other you mentioned all have holes or concerns. vilardi has his skating issues plus he's more of a down low finish guy rather than a creater. he may play on the edge as a pro. not sure we liked him as much as others.

mittel is a work in progress and 2-3 yrs away.

necks is skilled but undersized and needs more time to mature.

chytil, like you said, was another riser. he's got all the measurables. at 21, this is a great pick and the type of hidden gem you take a flier on. at 6'3 he's is super skilled and a potential monster.

agreed totally on the passing of reedy and shvyryov either would have been a terrific grab. but they trade down and grab crawley?? this was a classic nyr wtf pick ?

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
If they went safe, I am okay with that.

Sure it will sting if who they passed on become awesome, but I think it stings worse had they swung and missed. If they still miss it's going to really sting.

While I am not a huge fan or not leaning towards the more consensus higher ranked guys, the prospect pool... They are going to have trouble finding even meh 4th liners from it this year. That was not changing next year either or likely the years after. They need some safe prospects even if their ceilings are not super high.

If they add some picks, 2nd/3rd/4th rounders, like by not renting or maybe even selling, or if they already had a stable of safer prospects, swing away.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I'm not misrepresenting anything. This is all of my own opinion and I feel there was more 'boom' available in Tolvanen, Jokiharju, and Kostin.

I think FO viewed that a full year worth of development created room for higher ceiling than these other guys at #21. I originally read you post that they didn't go for a high ceiling prospect at all. Since we are talking about degrees, I respectfully defer to the opinion of the NYR FO.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
Truth? What truth? That trading down was not an option?????

It's always an option.

The truth leans more towards the Rangers really liking Andersson and Chytil and didn't want to trade down, rather than a request for trading down being rebuffed by 24 NHL teams.

I wanted the Rangers to do what Chicago did -- they traded down three spots from 26 to 29 for an extra 3rd, and drafted one of the best skill overagers in the draft in Altybarmakyan.

Cant stress enough how much I like Chytil, but I'd rather have Kostin and Altybarmakyan (or Ikonen) than just Chytil by himself.

LOL

"You can't judge a player after a week"

"Watch him become a star"

Good stuff.

im not saying watch him become a star after a week of seeing him play in camp, it was a statement of saying we have no idea what type of player he will become

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I think FO viewed that a full year worth of development created room for higher ceiling than these other guys at #21. I originally read you post that they didn't go for a high ceiling prospect at all. Since we are talking about degrees, I respectfully defer to the opinion of the NYR FO.

Nope. I'm just saying that I believe they passed on higher ceiling players in order to select players that have a lower ceiling, but a higher floor. That's all.

I hope to be proven wrong.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Not sure how we even know what Chytil's floor or ceiling are given that he's so young. If they wanted to mitigate risk, wouldn't they not draft someone that young.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad