Witcher III : PT III : Blood and Winos

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Blood and Wine was pretty good in that respect. I found the quest with the Elf statues ridiculously hard. I would get two hit, and one of the hits would happen before I was able to move. It was rough, lol. The toughest fight I've had in the game, and both expansions wasn't a boss, it was against the arachnid mobs in Hearts of Stone. They were brutal.

Deathmarch is definitely doable, but it can be very unforgiving of mistakes. I found my playthroughs the most enjoyable on it.

The hardest part was the very first fight? In hearts of stone after the boat

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I did Deathmarch for most of the game but I did turn it down against one boss in the main quest line (it was late and I wanted to end it) and THAT boss in Hearts of Stone.

I wouldn't say it was easy but it wasn't particularly hard either. The big issue is getting used to the fact that you take so much damage in one hit, you really need to keep your health high at all times and be good at dodging.

I absolutely love combat in this game, it is so satisfying to cut down a group of bandits without getting hit once.

I think my dark souls playtime will make it infinitely easier

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I actually would have liked to pick a higher difficulty for this game, but the load times on PS4 are so insane that I set it to easy, killed a bunch of higher level monsters to overlevel myself, then set it to normal to speed through all the primary and secondary quests in the game. Just to be completely honest about how I played

I just was not a fan of the combat, but i do plan to give it a second playthrough to try a different buils

Unaffiliated

Aug 26, 2010
Richmond, B.C.
I actually would have liked to pick a higher difficulty for this game, but the load times on PS4 are so insane that I set it to easy, killed a bunch of higher level monsters to overlevel myself, then set it to normal to speed through all the primary and secondary quests in the game. Just to be completely honest about how I played

I just was not a fan of the combat, but i do plan to give it a second playthrough to try a different buils
C'est la vie

disfigured

Mar 29, 2003
Lowell MA
I purchased my first console since the original PS.

Long story short: PC Gamer big time, lost interest after many years (inevitable in almost anything), looking at complete ground up build to play BF (my multi-player game of choice) with almost all the bells and whistles (my usual upgrade/ rebuild threshold). Disillusioned with the idea of spending that money on a game I might not like or still be interested. So I got a PS4 Pro.

Have not regretted one dime of the purchase even if my only purchase was Witcher 3 WildHunt. Don't get me wrong, I probably won't purchase any multiplayer games for my PS, but stuff like this is what these machines do so well.

I don't follow the story lines all that much (cut scenes aggravate me for the most part), and I'm not quite sure exactly how all intricacies of the character development work (slots, abilities etc). But that hasn't stopped me from thoroughly enjoying this game.

Its world entirely enthralling. I'm amazed at the lack of repetitiveness of the textures. The attention to detail and environment. I love how poor areas of cities are shabby and drab and broken down, while more affluent ones are clean, the people dress differently and building are more pristine. Even the vegetation from area to area varies in a way that's completely believable and seamless. Giving each a slightly different feel and thus adding to the scale of the game. I prefer "walking" to almost any destination.

I like the secondary and contracts over the story line stuff, but even the more involved story line is good. I'm essentially doing every secondary and contract within my abilities (and sometimes above) before continuing the storyline. Sometimes I'll walk to every "?" mark in a large area just to see what happens.

Just figured I throw in, with a shout out to other players.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
I did Deathmarch for most of the game but I did turn it down against one boss in the main quest line (it was late and I wanted to end it) and THAT boss in Hearts of Stone.

I wouldn't say it was easy but it wasn't particularly hard either. The big issue is getting used to the fact that you take so much damage in one hit, you really need to keep your health high at all times and be good at dodging.

I absolutely love combat in this game, it is so satisfying to cut down a group of bandits without getting hit once.

Completely agreed. I could do that **** all day. :laugh:

I played through on deathmarch without upgrading Quen at all, focused almost solely on the combat tree. It was difficult, but I honestly don't think it was much harder than if I had invested in Quen (I went through with a sign focused build the first time). There is a lot more variety in play styles available than people give credit to in this game. People just need to learn to branch out and not lean on early crutches so much.

Absolutely. I find the combat really rewarding. Instead of being overloaded with options, you have a nice base to work with, and perfect it with a lot of subtle variations within.

Switched to death march at level 4

Switched off of using quen at level 16

Some hitboxes do seem really janky, especially some projectiles (thrown rocks prime example), the wraiths, and some of the wing-type attacks.

Atta boy! :D

My point is that there is a lot to explore in the combat and building around Quen isn't your only option. It is smart to use it because it is effective in almost all battles, but I found it equally important to get to understand the use of oils, potions, bombs, and your equipment.

Well said.

The hardest part was the very first fight? In hearts of stone after the boat

Yeah, that battle was pretty tough, and it took me a couple of tries, but that mage had nothing on those ****ing spiders, lol.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
Just finished my 10th or so playthrough of TW2. I used some mods that certainly made things easier. Total play time to get through all of the quests (main and secondary) was 19 hours (I did skip dialogue here and there). By the end I was so OP with the alchemy tree that I was able to knock the dragon down to a tiny peg of energy by the time I left the tower and then all I had to do was hit it once on the top for the cut scene to play :laugh:.

Now time to import the save to TW3 for my second play through of that. I'll probably play through it very slowly. I hope to only allow myself a couple hours per day max. Will probably take me at least a couple months to finish.

Harbinger

sing for absolution
Mar 8, 2008
Edmonton
who the hell is the woman in Avalanche's room? what a *****. she needs to remove that stick from her cooch.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
I just started my new play through of TW3 on death march with enemy up scaling and my blue stripes tattoo. So far so good. I died a couple times, but overall I feel like the game is way easier to me now vs. when I played it the first time. I'm going to go with more of a signs build since my first play through was mainly an alchemy build. I may mix a little of alchemy in there as I go since there are some really great skills in there. It's funny how much differently you need to play at the beginning of the game before you level up your potions and such. Instead needing to rely on food for health.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
What's so great about Alchemy?

It's not as good as it was in TW2, but it still has some great skills and can be super powerful if you use it right.

Refreshment is one of the best skills in the game for keeping yourself alive. If you're in the middle of a fight and your health is low, you can just spam a few potions and your health will be refilled (25% health restored per potion when fully upgraded and it's instant).

Side Effects is also cool because using a potion will give you a random potion effect every time you use a potion. You can have the effect of tons of potions at once.

Also leveling up bombs can just allow you to kill everything with bombs and sit back and laugh.

Poisoned blades can also be great.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
BTW, here's a video that I made of me killing the dragon at the end of TW2 very quickly. In case anyone ends up playing it and wants the easy win. I should make one for the kayran battle too since most people find that one to be difficult.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I just downloaded TW3 for PC (played on PS4 last time) - any "must have" mods out there? I'm newly back in the PC gaming world and went a little mod heavy with Skyrim so I'm looking for good mods that don't completely change game play, or that aren't completely immersion breaking - little game-enhancing tweaks mostly.

Was also slightly depressed that my new gaming PC wasn't powerful enough to rock Ultra across the board, might tweak with the settings a bit as I only played for a few hours today and it wasn't heating up my parts too much.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I just downloaded TW3 for PC (played on PS4 last time) - any "must have" mods out there? I'm newly back in the PC gaming world and went a little mod heavy with Skyrim so I'm looking for good mods that don't completely change game play, or that aren't completely immersion breaking - little game-enhancing tweaks mostly.

Was also slightly depressed that my new gaming PC wasn't powerful enough to rock Ultra across the board, might tweak with the settings a bit as I only played for a few hours today and it wasn't heating up my parts too much.

I actually just started modding this game a bit the other day.

Nitpicker's Patch: Fixes many minor graphical issues
The Witcher 3 HD Reworked Project: Replaces the games low res textures with high res ones. Might not be worthwhile if you aren't running on Ultra, I haven't tested this out much yet so I'm not sure how this will effect performance.
Realistic Weather: Improves weather effects
Always Full Exp: Changes the 5xp reward to full for quests when you are over-leveled.
Better Torches: Makes torches usable in more situations (climbing, blocking, on horse).
Torches Hold to Interact: Fixes annoying issue with interacting with torches/candles when you want to loot bodies.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Yeah there's not much to mod in this game. If there's any mods for gwent I need to know :laugh: don't think there is though

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Gwent is perfect, shut your mouth.

Anyone know the sign bonuses to putting signs into the extra mutation slots from B&W?

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
this is ****ed up. blood and wine is downloaded and installed and for some reason, i cant start it.

You pick up the quest from the bulletin board at the seven cats inn. Is that the name of it? I can't remember. It's the board in front of the inn with the cats, anyway. At least I think it is. Unless I'm thinking of Hearts of Stone. It might already be in your quest log. Check yer log first, then try the board.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad