Witcher III : PT III : Blood and Winos

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
Just about any sign at its highest level is OP and broken.

Except Axii. I feel that one had a bunch of potential but isn't really useful against monsters.

Axii is super OP in 1 on 1 battles. You can just cast it, hack the crap out of an enemy and then recast over and over again. In TW2 it took a few seconds for it cast so it was harder to use, in TW3 it's instant and makes so many boss battles (except the bosses that are immune) extremely easy.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
I still haven't beaten this game. Finished Hearts of Stone, just started act III and then I installed the Blood and Wine patch. Went to Toussaint and my entire map is blacked out. Like no mini-map or full map at all so I can't see where I'm going. I've done clean installs and everything, uninstalled all mods... nothing works.

****ing annoying.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
how in the **** do you beat sasha in this stupid tournament?

Just beat the tournament the other night. I collected as many cards as I could before I started the tournament. I think the only one I didn't have was the one you can win from one of the witchers while getting drunk.

Load your deck with decoys to snag her spies, load up with your spies as well, also the cards that allow you to summon discarded cards from the previous rounds (good to summon her spies if you run out of or are not dealt any decoy cards) all your specialty 10-15 cards and multiplier cards. I always use the Northern Realms deck and load it with specialty, muliplyer, decoys and spies. Weather cards are useless once you have a strong deck.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
how in the **** do you beat sasha in this stupid tournament?

It's actually pretty easy if you know how to play and get good cards. Monsters are the only annoying deck to face if you have decoys

Take out all weather cards. And only add frostbite if your facing the monsters. Decoys are always better then weather cards (keep clear weather of course)

If your really having that much trouble just look it up on YouTube. And use that type of strategy. It may not work first or second time but it will. Gwent is kind of luck based but it's small

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I'm curious how many people that say this game is too easy play on deathmarch. :laugh:

I'm gonna try it on death march (if there's achievements for it) otherwise I'll stick to normal and upgrade when it's getting too easy. It's challenging at the beginning. And then it gets easy. Blood And wine was pretty challenging all the way through

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
There's achievements for death march yea. It's wasn't too bad, helps to have a good armor and weapon set, I used the griffin set. Also quen ability that is upgraded to give you health when the shield is hit is a must. You don't heal when meditating and potions/food are hard to come by and consumed fast. The last 2 boss battles where pretty difficult though.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
I'm gonna try it on death march (if there's achievements for it) otherwise I'll stick to normal and upgrade when it's getting too easy. It's challenging at the beginning. And then it gets easy. Blood And wine was pretty challenging all the way through

Blood and Wine was pretty good in that respect. I found the quest with the Elf statues ridiculously hard. I would get two hit, and one of the hits would happen before I was able to move. It was rough, lol. The toughest fight I've had in the game, and both expansions wasn't a boss, it was against the arachnid mobs in Hearts of Stone. They were brutal.

There's achievements for death march yea. It's wasn't too bad, helps to have a good armor and weapon set, I used the griffin set. Also quen ability that is upgraded to give you health when the shield is hit is a must. You don't heal when meditating and potions/food are hard to come by and consumed fast. The last 2 boss battles where pretty difficult though.

Deathmarch is definitely doable, but it can be very unforgiving of mistakes. I found my playthroughs the most enjoyable on it.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I haven't done a deathmarch full playthrough but by all accounts quen is absolutely mandatory at all times. Which kind of reinforces how quencentric the combat system is

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I did Deathmarch for most of the game but I did turn it down against one boss in the main quest line (it was late and I wanted to end it) and THAT boss in Hearts of Stone.

I wouldn't say it was easy but it wasn't particularly hard either. The big issue is getting used to the fact that you take so much damage in one hit, you really need to keep your health high at all times and be good at dodging.

I absolutely love combat in this game, it is so satisfying to cut down a group of bandits without getting hit once.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
I haven't done a deathmarch full playthrough but by all accounts quen is absolutely mandatory at all times. Which kind of reinforces how quencentric the combat system is
I played through on deathmarch without upgrading Quen at all, focused almost solely on the combat tree. It was difficult, but I honestly don't think it was much harder than if I had invested in Quen (I went through with a sign focused build the first time). There is a lot more variety in play styles available than people give credit to in this game. People just need to learn to branch out and not lean on early crutches so much.

Unaffiliated

Aug 26, 2010
Richmond, B.C.
I'm curious how many people that say this game is too easy play on deathmarch. :laugh:

Switched to death march at level 4

Switched off of using quen at level 16

You don't even REALLY need Quen for that :laugh:. Dodge does 95% of the work.

Some hitboxes do seem really janky, especially some projectiles (thrown rocks prime example), the wraiths, and some of the wing-type attacks.

Last edited:

Unaffiliated

Aug 26, 2010
Richmond, B.C.
I played through on deathmarch without upgrading Quen at all, focused almost solely on the combat tree. It was difficult, but I honestly don't think it was much harder than if I had invested in Quen (I went through with a sign focused build the first time). There is a lot more variety in play styles available than people give credit to in this game. People just need to learn to branch out and not lean on early crutches so much.

When something simple works throughout the entire game, it's not an early game crutch, it's just first order optimal.

[disclaimer, I haven't finished the game yet, but from everything I've heard from people I've talked to or just googling about Quen, what I've experienced seems to hold true throughout the rest of the game]

The obvious difference is that Witcher 3 isn't a competitive multiplayer game, so these things aren't quite as immediately apparent.

edit:

Let me be clear that I think this is actually totally fine design philosophy. I really like its use in Dark Souls, where you can't choose the difficulty via in-game menu, but instead you choose whether you'll use a shield, high poise armor, pyromancy, etc. which all make the game easier without breaking immersion.

I'm only commenting on the idea of an "early crutch".

Last edited:

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I don't think Quen is that much easier in terms of getting an enjoyable experience.

If you want to dance around spamming quen for an hour, be my guest.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
I'm only commenting on the idea of an "early crutch".
My point is that there is a lot to explore in the combat and building around Quen isn't your only option. It is smart to use it because it is effective in almost all battles, but I found it equally important to get to understand the use of oils, potions, bombs, and your equipment.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
My point is that there is a lot to explore in the combat and building around Quen isn't your only option. It is smart to use it because it is effective in almost all battles, but I found it equally important to get to understand the use of oils, potions, bombs, and your equipment.

agreed. I leaned on quen for the first half of my first play through. I am more of a potion/igni/aard guy now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad