Series Talk: Winter Olympics 2022: Ice Hockey Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
He’s 11th in terms of points and PPG amongst Canadian forwards.

You keep making these small responses, but I'm not really sure what part of my post that's in reference to. I asked what he's "top ten" at. Even if you're talking pure production, then you yourself even proved he's not "top ten" offensively.

So if an offense-only forward is 11th among Canadian forwards in points, that already tells you everything you need to know about his spot on the team. Because they're going to bring along guys who can PK/play a shutdown role as well. They're not bringing the 12 highest scorers and calling it a day.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
You keep making these small responses, but I'm not really sure what part of my post that's in reference to. I asked what he's "top ten" at. Even if you're talking pure production, then you yourself even proved he's not "top ten" offensively.

So if an offense-only forward is 11th among Canadian forwards in points, that already tells you everything you need to know about his spot on the team. Because they're going to bring along guys who can PK/play a shutdown role as well. They're not bringing the 12 highest scorers and calling it a day.

Okay. So do you think Barzal makes it over Tavares?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Okay. So do you think Barzal makes it over Tavares?

Barzal is one of those tweeners that I wouldn't be surprised either way.

However, I think he has a better shot at being the 13th/14th forward than Tavares just due to age and the fact TC might be looking toward 2026 where Barzal's likely to contribute while Tavares will be 36 years old.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Barzal is one of those tweeners that I wouldn't be surprised either way.

However, I think he has a better shot at being the 13th/14th forward than Tavares just due to age and the fact TC might be looking toward 2026 where Barzal's likely to contribute while Tavares will be 36 years old.

I don’t think I would take Tavares. I just wouldn’t be surprised at al to see him get a spot.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
He’s 11th in terms of points and PPG amongst Canadian forwards. Basically tied with Point and Perron.

So just outside the top 10, right? :naughty:

I mean, I get your point. It wouldn't be a surprise if a guy with international experience whose around that area in scoring got the call. But I don't think it'd be a surprise the other way either.

Incidentally, when would the squads be picked? I.e. Does Toews have time this season to make his case?

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

I mean, I get your point. It wouldn't be a surprise if a guy with international experience whose around that area in scoring got the call. But I don't think it'd be a surprise the other way either.

Incidentally, when would the squads be picked? I.e. Does Toews have time this season to make his case?

Typically they’d have a camp around now and then make final decisions in like December and January.

Reactions: Peat

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

If the Olympic are in February, I don't think they'll have a camp this year. Summer is usually when they hold camp, so they'll probably just go with whoever is doing well and then fit in some practices the handful of days prior to the start of the round robin.

Selection camp will probably be by December or early January (at the latest), so Toews will probably have a good 30+ games to show whether he's back up to game shape or not.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Judging from the pics of Sid and Mack in Canada jersies, they've already had an unofficial camp of some sort.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think the locks at this point are pretty much Sid, Marchand, Bergeron, McDavid and MacK up front. Personally I know who I’d have next but I don’t think it is as obvious as some are saying.

Who would you have next?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Point, Huberdeau and Marner. But I’m a skill over all else guy.

That's ... not very controversial. Those three are probably going to be on 99% of lists.

I honestly wouldn’t have Mark Stone. I love him in the NHL. But he isn’t an Olympics guy IMO.

He was money for Canada a couple of World Championships ago. I think he could do well riding shotgun for a guy like McDavid, where McDavid used his speed and puck carrying ability, while Stone used his smarts to get open and get McDavid back the puck.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I mean, I don't know what the history of selections like, but I feel like the head coach's club 1C is gonna be there, and Marner as a top 5 Canadian scorer who kills penalties seems pretty likely. Maybe Huberdeau doesn't make it due to loading up on defensively great still productive guys - and if we're talking past relationships with the national team, maybe not showing up to World Cup since 2014 despite always being available isn't great for him, but I feel like most people would want him there.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
That's ... not very controversial. Those three are probably going to be on 99% of lists.

He was money for Canada a couple of World Championships ago. I think he could do well riding shotgun for a guy like McDavid, where McDavid used his speed and puck carrying ability, while Stone used his smarts to get open and get McDavid back the puck.

But his skating :)

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I mean, I don't know what the history of selections like, but I feel like the head coach's club 1C is gonna be there, and Marner as a top 5 Canadian scorer who kills penalties seems pretty likely. Maybe Huberdeau doesn't make it due to loading up on defensively great still productive guys - and if we're talking past relationships with the national team, maybe not showing up to World Cup since 2014 despite always being available isn't great for him, but I feel like most people would want him there.

* World Championships.

I guess it’s easy to assume this will happen. But look at the Canada World Cup team from 2016. Corey Perry, Jake Muzzin and Bouwmeester. Granted Keith, Carter, Benn. I mean, I think Jeff Carter circa 2016 is a perfect comparable for why Tavares will make the team over a more deserving player.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
In any case, my predictions for Team Canada's forward lines (barring injury):

Stamkos* - McDavid - Point
Huberdeau - MacKinnon - Stone
Marchand - Crosby - Bergeron
Couturier - O'Reilly - Marner
Ex: Barzal**, Scheifele

*Scheifele showed some chemistry with McDavid at the World Cup, so he could slot in there if Stamkos doesn't fit.
**Barzal could be dropped if Toews is in game shape.

Reactions: BHD

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
* World Championships.

I guess it’s easy to assume this will happen. But look at the Canada World Cup team from 2016. Corey Perry, Jake Muzzin and Bouwmeester. Granted Keith, Carter, Benn. I mean, I think Jeff Carter circa 2016 is a perfect comparable for why Tavares will make the team over a more deserving player.

I don't want to assume shit, it's not like I've really been a clued up hockey fan for this sort of best on best scenario. I dunno what biases are involved and so on. But that means questioning everything. Like, if I compare Carter in '16 to Tavares now -

Carter had two SC rings, Tavares didn't; Carter has a big game, knockout game rep that I don't think Tavares has
Carter had been part of a Team Canada two years ago, Tavares hasn't been part for 4 years; it's less getting the gang back together.
Carter is a regular PKer, Tavares isn't.

Carter seems more comparable to the case for Mark Stone or Bergeron or Toews getting in after all or O'Reilly if he has a meh year than a guy like Tavares in terms of skill set and gamer rep. Carter was a checking line guy in 2014, right? Easy to see why Babcock wanted him back in the same role; the familiar option. Tavares might have some backing in Canada's org as a whole, looks like he has done depth line stuff for them in the past, but he's arguably no longer as fit for such work and he's not Cooper's guy. In fact, I'm not sure he's got history with any of the guys involved. Cooper might lobby for Point, Trotz for Barzal, DeBoer for Stone, Cassidy for Marchand and Bergeron, etc.etc. but I don't think there's any coaches or GM staff who've really worked with Tavares.

All that said, I can totally see him going. Seems fifty-fifty to me.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Imo Barzal shouldn’t even be a discussion. I know Canada has an embarrassment of riches up front but there are not 12 forwards better than him.

Unbelievable skater, can play C, protect the puck, and create. His skill set is a tad different than a lot of these guys (almost Crosby like). I would look into playing him with Mack if I was TC. MacKinnon has thrived with Rantanen who operates from down low well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca