Series Talk: Winter Olympics 2022: Ice Hockey Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I can't help but compare the list to Canada getting Cassidy, DeBoer, and Trotz as the assistant coaches and feel a tad underwhelmed on the US's part, even if familiarity in these circs is a good thing...

Reactions: Andy99

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
You're just upset that Paul Bisonette is the best UK hockey player in history.

Which means I have to pick another country to support in international play, which is probably the US unless I feel like annoying my wife/friends/in laws for the hell of it*, which means the make up of the US Olympic team is of mild interest to me. Keep up at the back there!

*Shocking as the idea may seem on this forum, I don't actually enjoy annoying people for the hell of it :sarcasm: mild irritation at most!

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Which means I have to pick another country to support in international play, which is probably the US unless I feel like annoying my wife/friends/in laws for the hell of it*, which means the make up of the US Olympic team is of mild interest to me. Keep up at the back there!

*Shocking as the idea may seem on this forum, I don't actually enjoy annoying people for the hell of it :sarcasm: mild irritation at most!

I think the US will be the funnest team to watch.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think the US will be the funnest team to watch.

Well if that isn't rank heresy in these parts, I don't know what is.

I have to say, I'm very intrigued as to how Sully's going to handle a talent pool that's pretty full on not particularly two-way guys, and whether he's going to embrace that or whether he's going to veer towards more solid guys.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Canada and US will be dull af versus the talent pool as per usual. Short tournaments are kinda like herding cats and these guys will always tend towards safe particularly under those circumstances.

The smaller programs that have nothing to lose will be the most fun to watch as usual. And Russia because they just don't give a f***.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Well if that isn't rank heresy in these parts, I don't know what is.

I have to say, I'm very intrigued as to how Sully's going to handle a talent pool that's pretty full on not particularly two-way guys, and whether he's going to embrace that or whether he's going to veer towards more solid guys.

I imagine Sullivan haas a massive hard on for the type of D he is going to be able to put together and the forwards will probably mimic 2017 a ton in terms of having two powerhouse top six lines and then a defensively conscious bottom six.

Werenski - Jones
Slavin - Fox
Hughes - McAvoy

Seems like Sullivan's ideal defense tbh.

Debrincat - Matthews - Kane
Guentzel - Eichel - Wheeler

Is going to be fun though if Eichel is healthy by then.

Throw in Tkachuk - Trochek - Tkachuk as the 3rd or 4th line.

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I imagine Sullivan haas a massive hard on for the type of D he is going to be able to put together and the forwards will probably mimic 2017 a ton in terms of having two powerhouse top six lines and then a defensively conscious bottom six.

Werenski - Jones
Slavin - Fox
Hughes - McAvoy

Seems like Sullivan's ideal defense tbh.

Yeah, that D unit is going to be something. Although for my money, Jones is overhyped and shouldn't be start, and I imagine with Reirden as PP coach, John Carlson is getting a jersey most nights (dunno if that changes Quinn Hughes' roster status) so if it's 4 out of 3 from Carlsson/Fox/McAvoy/Jones, it really should be Jones sitting.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Yeah, that D unit is going to be something. Although for my money, Jones is overhyped and shouldn't be start, and I imagine with Reirden as PP coach, John Carlson is getting a jersey most nights (dunno if that changes Quinn Hughes' roster status) so if it's 4 out of 3 from Carlsson/Fox/McAvoy/Jones, it really should be Jones sitting.

I think the big thing with Jones is the built in chemistry with Werenski. I also worry about Carlson's skating on the big ice.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think the big thing with Jones is the built in chemistry with Werenski. I also worry about Carlson's skating on the big ice.

Read up in the International Tournament forum that it's going to be NA ice sizes, although no source.

And tempting as that chemistry might be, I don't think it's worth enough to outweigh the fact he really seems to struggle with transition defence these days. Not that Carlsson might be a much smarter bet there.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Read up in the International Tournament forum that it's going to be NA ice sizes, although no source.

And tempting as that chemistry might be, I don't think it's worth enough to outweigh the fact he really seems to struggle with transition defence these days. Not that Carlsson might be a much smarter bet there.

Yeah, I guess I see Werenski and Hughes as better offensive weapons so I think they go with a more defensive first guy.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'm just excited for Olympic hockey again. It's Canada's gold to lose, and I think it'd be a flat-out shocking result if they didn't win, but there's some good competition for silver.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Screen-Shot-2021-08-30-at-1.48.56-PM.png

I hate it.

Reactions: Peat

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think I’d probably start with Nelson in and Larkin as an extra.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Hellebuyck looks like the criminal mastermind, Matthews looks like the guy who runs the drug cartel, while Eichel looks like the nerdy coffee shop employee who gets murdered 1 minutes into the movie.

I was thinking Hellebuyck would make a good choice for the next Ghostbusters villain, with Guentzel as his henchman.

You're right that Eichel looks like a nerd, and Adam Fox looks like he just demanded Eichel give him his lunch money.

JT Miller looks like he's having flashbacks to something bad.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I was thinking Hellebuyck would make a good choice for the next Ghostbusters villain, with Guentzel as his henchman.

You're right that Eichel looks like a nerd, and Adam Fox looks like he just demanded Eichel give him his lunch money.

JT Miller looks like he's having flashbacks to something bad.

Quinn Hughes looks like the 12 year old kid from next door who witnessed Eichel being killed by Matthews' crew and now needs to be put in witness protection. Rust looks like the officer assigned to protect him, but whose mind is elsewhere because he's going through a messy divorce.

Reactions: Gurglesons and Peat

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Quinn Hughes looks like the 12 year old kid from next door who witnessed Eichel being killed by Matthews' crew and now needs to be put in witness protection. Rust looks like the officer assigned to protect him, but whose mind is elsewhere because he's going through a messy divorce.
So Rust is Every Cop Ever™? :laugh:

Reactions: Gurglesons
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: