Transfer: Winter mercato window rumors

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
That's not really correct, structure is important but so is fluidity & freedom. Mesut is at his best when he can float in behind the first wave of pressing and when he can float from wing to wing in possession supporting the ball & hunting for the killer pass wherever he needs to. So he needs chemistry with his team-mates so they can allow him to focus on doing his thing, but his thing requires a ton of freedom and creative movement from the rest of the team that Mou just can't organize. That will always be a terrible Star-Manager pairing.

Gary Neville commented earlier in the season on Sky Sports during a match that Mourinho has basically given free reigns on offense, meaning players can decide pretty much how they want to do it. With Pogba healthy, it was more evident than now perhaps.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Mesut doesn't just need freedom though, he needs guys to make intelligent runs around him or to combine with him. Miki has the brain to connect with Mesut & I can see their goal scorers learning to play off of those two, but Pogba could get lost/in-the-way.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Mesut doesn't just need freedom though, he needs guys to make intelligent runs around him or to combine with him. Miki has the brain to connect with Mesut & I can see their goal scorers learning to play off of those two, but Pogba could get lost/in-the-way.

Yeah and I highly doubt Jose would play Ozil and Miki together. Atleast regularly.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Yeah and I highly doubt Jose would play Ozil and Miki together. Atleast regularly.

Right now, Mikkitarja doesn't deserve to be starting much. He's been pretty bad for at least a month. Funnily enough he disappeared as soon as Pogba got injured.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Atletico are looking to acquire Lucas Torreira for €40 million from Sampdria.
Fantastic talent. But there will be tough competition for him between them, Roma and Inter. And since Barca is so keen on Verratti, I feel that they should be keen on Torreira too, who could turn out to be a very similar player.

Edit: Just found out that he had a €12M release clause this past summer too. Crazy.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Turkish media believes that Soyuncu will move to a big PL club next summer.

He's a phenomenal talent, but that would be too soon for him unless he went to a great teacher like Pep. He should go to a Gladbach / Hoffenheim / Schalke / Leipzig / Dortmund next

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
He's a phenomenal talent, but that would be too soon for him unless he went to a great teacher like Pep. He should go to a Gladbach / Hoffenheim / Schalke / Leipzig / Dortmund next

Tin foil hat on here:

Liverpool obviously need at least one centerback, and have Ryan Kent on loan at Freiburg; they will have seen a lot of Soyuncu. Seems like their kind of signing.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Tin foil hat on here:

Liverpool obviously need at least one centerback, and have Ryan Kent on loan at Freiburg; they will have seen a lot of Soyuncu. Seems like their kind of signing.

He has the mobility, tenacity, & skill to do it; but I think his confidence could get shattered if he went straight into playing for Klopp in the EPL. Would much rather see him solidifying one of the BuLi's CL teams where he can continue to learn and gain the experience/polish he lacks.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
He has the mobility, tenacity, & skill to do it; but I think his confidence could get shattered if he went straight into playing for Klopp in the EPL. Would much rather see him solidifying one of the BuLi's CL teams where he can continue to learn and gain the experience/polish he lacks.

Oh I am sure that he does. Just connecting the dots. 2 + 2 = 22 :)

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Can without a doubt. Especially since the rumour is we will be replacing him with Goretzka on a free.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Can without a doubt. Especially since the rumour is we will be replacing him with Goretzka on a free.
There is no chance Liverpool gets Goretzka

It’s going to be fun replacing Coutinho and Can this summer without Champions League to offer.

Does anyone feel confident with

Mane-Firmino-Salah
Keita-Henderson-Lallana

And what ever Back five they can duct tape together? Horrible depth too. No back up wingers in unless you are counting AOC, no reliable strikers unless Origi finds another gear after his stint in Germany, and Solanke takes a leap. Defense and Keeper is a disaster as well.

Last edited:

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
There is no chance Liverpool gets Goretzka

It’s going to be fun replacing Coutinho and Can this summer without Champions League to offer.

Does anyone feel confident with

Mane-Firmino-Salah
Keita-Henderson-Lallana

And what ever Back five they can duct tape together? Horrible depth too. No back up wingers in unless you are counting AOC, no reliable strikers unless Origi finds another gear after his stint in Germany, and Solanke takes a leap. Defense and Keeper is a disaster as well.

I think it's possible to change in one summer but Liverpool are too picky about their targets.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I think it's possible to change in one summer but Liverpool are too picky about their targets.
Absolutely correct. They don’t have the appetite for it.

That being said they are definitely got to need A LOT of turnover.

Van Dijk and Soyuncu would be a great start, but they still are going to need a striker who is a better finisher than Firmino, and at least two CMs; one creative and one defensive. They will probably need a left back and keeper as well but again will they ignore those positions?

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Absolutely correct. They don’t have the appetite for it.

That being said they are definitely got to need A LOT of turnover.

Van Dijk and Soyuncu would be a great start, but they still are going to need a striker who is a better finisher than Firmino, and at least two CMs; one creative and one defensive. They will probably need a left back and keeper as well but again will they ignore those positions?

Did they ever bring in more than 2 undisputed starters or players Liverpool fans are unequivocally happy about in recent summers? Browsing over their transfer history, it seems like no. Pretty uneventful summers by my fan-of-a-feeder-club's standards.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Did they ever bring in more than 2 undisputed starters or players Liverpool fans are unequivocally happy about in recent summers? Browsing over their transfer history, it seems like no. Pretty uneventful summers by my fan-of-a-feeder-club's standards.

No, they never do. You have that right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad