Transfer: Winter mercato window rumors

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Goretzka is a star?

He still doesn't know what to do in possession, but a midfielder doesn't score at the rate LeGo is without deserving to be called a young star. If he has room to run on the counter, he is a beast; big, strong, fast, a strong dribbler, a dangerous shot from distance, strength in the air, and great goalscoring instincts in the box.

I've soured on him a little because of his lack of progression in possession; but if he ever lands with a coach like Nagelsmann, Tuchel or Pep, the kid could be what people once thought Pogba might become.

Goretzka is German Dele Alli

That's a reasonable comparison. LeGo is bigger and IMO has a better head on his shoulders (in terms of both hotheadedness & on-pitch-instincts); but they fill similar roles as goalscoring midfielders that can be lethal if given the space to play their game.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Real Madrid in talks for Pulisic? Real Madrid want Borussia Dortmund duo Pulisic and Weigl
TBH Pulisic is in an ideal situation right now. He gets a lot of playing time and he is working magic. His hype continues to build and other clubs will start to get more and more interested. The fear is if he goes to Real Madrid or some EPL side they won't give him playing time. And I want Pulisic out there 90 minutes every game getting better and better. Dortmund gives him the perfect opportunity to learn and thrive.

Vazquez and Llorente? :laugh:

Gonna take a lot more than that. Probably would have to be like 150M+ in cash to buy those two.

Pulisic is getting 90 minutes every game for BVB?
News to me.

Bosz does a rotation policy between three wingers where two play one game, one sits the next game, and the other sits the game after that, he's part of that three man rotation, although for the first time all season that I can remember Bosz went away from the rotation and didn't even have Philipp in the squad for the Bayern match after a bad performance by him in midweek. Philipp and Yarmolenko were supposed to start the game, given the typical rotation, yet it was Yarmolenko and Pulisic with no Philipp in the squad.

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
He's a better CM than anyone at Arsenal. Hence why they are interested in him too.

I don't see Spurs getting him.
Goretzka isn’t really a CM. He needs to play in an Alli role. Honestly he would be a bit of a waste at Arsenal. Wenger would use him too deep and he would probably get hurt.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Goretzka isn’t really a CM. He needs to play in an Alli role. Honestly he would be a bit of a waste at Arsenal. Wenger would use him too deep and he would probably get hurt.

Eh, LeGo's ridiculous goalscoring instincts in the box & on the counter, are what are winning him acclaim this season; but his biggest shortcoming as CM is just that he needs to take a touch or two to think when he's not playing purely on instinct...like he does on the counter & in the box. But he's still young, as he gains experience playing in possession (with proper coaching) he won't need as long on the ball to think; and at that point he'd be a pretty perfect b2b 8.

Now, he needs to land with a great coach that could really mold him, like Pep / Nagelsmann / Tuchel / Favre. So I'd agree that moving to Arsenal at this point would probably be more likely to derail his development than provide him the opportunity to take the next step.

I know I've said that if LeGo doesn't get taught to play in possession soon he should just be converted into a supporting forward/deep lying forward, but he's still so damn young that we aren't at that point yet...which is why I'd actually be down for him to hook up with Nagelsmann in bavaria.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Send Goretzka to City. Leave Weigl alone.

I suppose we could convince them to focus on Arne Maier once he's done learning from Darida; Dennis Geiger, if Nagelsmann's replacement is unspectacular; or if Tedesco's experiment of playing him at the 6 continues to be a success, Max Meyer...but for the NT's sake I'd rather have Weigl studying under Pep than Bosz. So we'll see who your next coach ends up being, if Watzke fools Favre into joining you then you can keep Weigl until the eventual issues with management force the swiss genius to leave.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Completely different players, and probably wishful thinking. Pep needs that Fernandinho replacement

Fernandinho and Weigl are totally different players as well. Gündogan as 6 and Goretzka as 8.

I suppose we could convince them to focus on Arne Maier once he's done learning from Darida; or if Tedesco's experiment of playing him at the 6 continues to be a success, Max Meyer...but for the NT's sake I'd rather have Weigl studying under Pep than Bosz. So we'll see who your next coach ends up being, if Watzke fools Favre into joining you then you can keep Weigl until the eventual issues with management force the swiss genius to leave.

The national team has Kroos and doesn't need Weigl. I do hope Dortmund can somehow procure your permission to keep their best midfielder next summer though.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Fernandinho and Weigl are totally different players as well. Gündogan as 6 and Goretzka as 8.

As injuries sap his mobility that's where he'll end up, but those same injuries are why Ilkay can not be pep's only stud who can play the 6. It might be a nice way to save money at that position for all of their spending elsewhere to give Ilkay the job and bring in someone like Geiger who's young enough to be Ilkay's "backup", but is ready to (& talented enough to) play the number of games that Ilkay's "backup" has to play.

The national team has Kroos and doesn't need Weigl. I do hope Dortmund can somehow procure your permission to keep their best midfielder next summer though.

The NT doesn't need Weigl...but having a Weigl who's been coached by Pep for a few years, when Toni retires from the NT, would be pretty damn sweet. Even with Geiger & Maier starting to show their class at the senior level.

And I hope so to. I give Watzke so much good advice, but that prick never listens.

Last edited:

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
The NT doesn't need Weigl...but having a Weigl who's been coached by Pep for a few years, when Toni retires from the NT, would be pretty damn sweet. Even with Geiger & Maier starting to show their class at the senior level.

And I hope so to. I give Watzke so much good advice, but that prick never listens.

Hmm. I guess you'll have to settle for Goretzka being groomed by Pep.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Getting Goretzka would be a dream and I think he is the perfect fit for Liverpool. I also think that's where he lands since the rumours of him signing with us on a free have been floating out there for a while now. This could maybe allow Klopp to move Wijnaldum back to the 6 where he's perfectly suited to play in that system. Imagine next season if our midfield and front 3 look like this:

Wijnaldum
Goretzka - Keita
Salah - Firmino - Mane
The speed and lethality of those counter attacks and transition play would be filthy af. Then we'd have some really nice depth as well in midfield with Henderson, Ox and Lallana.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Getting Goretzka would be a dream and I think he is the perfect fit for Liverpool. I also think that's where he lands since the rumours of him signing with us on a free have been floating out there for a while now. This could maybe allow Klopp to move Wijnaldum back to the 6 where he's perfectly suited to play in that system. Imagine next season if our midfield and front 3 look like this:

Wijnaldum
Goretzka - Keita
Salah - Firmino - Mane
The speed and lethality of those counter attacks and transition play would be filthy af. Then we'd have some really nice depth as well in midfield with Henderson, Ox and Lallana.
If you think they can’t defend now. Dear lord. Don’t like that shape at all.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
If you think they can’t defend now. Dear lord. Don’t like that shape at all.
?

Goretzka and Keita are both workhorses defensively and so is Wijnaldum? They're also more intelligent defenders than Henderson/Can. Their mobility and intelligence would fit better into Liverpool's team defence/pressing philosophy. Add van Dijk to the backline, finish integrating Robertson and get Clyne back and it's a team that's much better than what we currently put out, IMO.

Clyne - Matip - van Dijk - Robertson
Wijnaldum
Goretzka - Keita
Salah - Firmino - Mane​

Wijnaldum has already been experimented with as the 6 and he did well, and working as mostly a defensive minded midfielder against West Ham he was quietly very efficient as well. His best attributes lend themselves well to playing the 6 under Klopp (speed of transition, press resistance/strength on the ball, intelligent marking of space and being economical with the ball).

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Don't you think Keita is more likely to hold than Wijnaldum? Admittedly haven't seen him play ever but what I have seen are plenty of Kante comparisons.

We have also seen pretty much zero indication that Robertson will usurp Moreno anytime soon.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Don't you think Keita is more likely to hold than Wijnaldum? Admittedly haven't seen him play ever but what I have seen are plenty of Kante comparisons.

We have also seen pretty much zero indication that Robertson will usurp Moreno anytime soon.

He's not like Kante at all really, other than the fact that they're both very good and midfielders.

Reactions: Savant

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

Keita is not a DM.

He is much closer to Lallana than Kante.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Word in Germany has been that Goretzka is deciding between FCBs - Barca or Bayern.

Well I guess both of those clubs have some unwanted or underperforming CMs. I don't think Goretzka is the ideal answer for a possession team. I agree with cgf though: Nagelsmann could definitely groom him into a more technically efficient player.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
?

Goretzka and Keita are both workhorses defensively and so is Wijnaldum? They're also more intelligent defenders than Henderson/Can. Their mobility and intelligence would fit better into Liverpool's team defence/pressing philosophy. Add van Dijk to the backline, finish integrating Robertson and get Clyne back and it's a team that's much better than what we currently put out, IMO.

Clyne - Matip - van Dijk - Robertson
Wijnaldum
Goretzka - Keita
Salah - Firmino - Mane​

Wijnaldum has already been experimented with as the 6 and he did well, and working as mostly a defensive minded midfielder against West Ham he was quietly very efficient as well. His best attributes lend themselves well to playing the 6 under Klopp (speed of transition, press resistance/strength on the ball, intelligent marking of space and being economical with the ball).

Liverpool should aim higher than having Robertson as a starter. I'd be intrigued to see if Van Dijk could cover up for Matip's deficiencies too.

Reactions: All Might

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Well I guess both of those clubs have some unwanted or underperforming CMs. I don't think Goretzka is the ideal answer for a possession team. I agree with cgf though: Nagelsmann could definitely groom him into a more technically efficient player.

Yep, since it seems no one likes my idea of playing him as a deep lying poacher, teaming up with Nagelsmann in Munich is what I am hoping for for LeGo. Don't see him succeeding at Barca as a midfielder unless they get someone like Tuchel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad