Speculation: Winnipeg Jets to get 3rd Jersey next season - with a new logo

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Love to see a completely new slant or idea for 3rd jersey. Current one is nice but love to see something new. Heritage jersey was just meh to me, didn't love it.

Reactions: JetBlue420 and Jet

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
It's remarkable how bad some of these takes are and how out of touch with marketing some people can be, no offense. This is like subway coming out with a type of sandwich that literally sells better than everything else on their menu and someone at the company saying hey we need to get rid of this thing cuz it's so popular we made our money...time to move on to a new sandwich. Let's come up with something else and we'll see if it sells as well.
Wow,

You aren't getting it. It's not like a Subway sandwich at all. If you make a great sandwich, people will buy them over and over again, monthly, weekly, or even more frequently. How often do you think people buy a specific jersey? Not a lot of people have multiples of every jersey. The fans that buy merch probably have any of a home, an away, a HC and a practice. They don't generally buy multiples of the same jersey.

Again, it's about market size. The Jets have probably saturated the market when it comes to what they currently have for jerseys. The solution is to make something new.

This is extremely simple marketing - I'm not sure how you are not getting this?

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Sorry, but I really hate this whole "we need more money so we are going to keep coming out with 3rd jerseys" crap. They have a jersey. They don't need another one.
We knew when we got the team it was going to always be about the org maximizing revenue streams. With the building and market size they have gotten extremely creative with the SHED, merch, gambling, etc etc. This is part of the merch piece. When you have a ravenous fan base, you have to try to get as much $$$ as possible.

This is what Winnipeg has to do to make it in the NHL. You know, so Vegas can come in and win the Cup year one :P

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Sorry, if this guy is right about this being an officially worn third, it's powder blue. I'm not crazy about it either but I'm reserving judgement until I see it :)

Well, I suppose since it's only a third jersey and not our regular uniforms, the worst that can happen is they are ugly and very few people buy them. The last thing I would want to see happen though would be to see it become our main uniforms and have the fans dislike it as much as Oilers fans hate their orange jerseys.

:jets

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Well, I suppose since it's only a third jersey and not our regular uniforms, the worst that can happen is they are ugly and very few people buy them. The last thing I would want to see happen though would be to see it become our main uniforms and have the fans dislike it as much as Oilers fans hate their orange jerseys.

1> I very much doubt that any 3rd becomes our regular jersey. I think that the Jets are trying to build a brand and tradition (like what White Out 403 speaks so passionately about) and that requires years of repping the team with a unified brand. I think that is why the HC wasn't adopted or used more often this year
2> I think the Jets could make mustard jerseys with a giant steaming poo on the front and Winnipeggers would buy them :)
3> I don't know who could hate those Oilers orange jerseys. They are absolutely gorgeous. I love the orange with blue pops.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Powder blue...I wonder if they'll pull inspiration from this one:

faffddb28359806e3c40aeec40e81220.jpg
Hate to be a debbie downer but this looks like a curling team jersey , me no likey . :laugh:

Last edited:

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
1> I very much doubt that any 3rd becomes our regular jersey. I think that the Jets are trying to build a brand and tradition (like what White Out 403 speaks so passionately about) and that requires years of repping the team with a unified brand. I think that is why the HC wasn't adopted or used more often this year
2> I think the Jets could make mustard jerseys with a giant steaming poo on the front and Winnipeggers would buy them :)
3> I don't know who could hate those Oilers orange jerseys. They are absolutely gorgeous. I love the orange with blue pops.

1) I think you're probably right in that regard.

2) I think you're a little overly optimistic about Jets fans buying anything even if it looks awful.

3) I don't know if you've checked out the Oilers forum on this site since the orange jerseys were unveiled but there is a serious dislike for them. They liked the orange from the previous season (the retro version based on the early WHA years) but hated the Adidas pale orange jerseys for the most part.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Sorry, if this guy is right about this being an officially worn third, it's powder blue. I'm not crazy about it either but I'm reserving judgement until I see it :)

I actually really liked the Moose polar bear jersey and Powder Blue myself so I'm interested in seeing it. Not a big fan of the script naming as a logo though.

Reactions: Jet

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
Wow,

You aren't getting it. It's not like a Subway sandwich at all. If you make a great sandwich, people will buy them over and over again, monthly, weekly, or even more frequently. How often do you think people buy a specific jersey? Not a lot of people have multiples of every jersey. The fans that buy merch probably have any of a home, an away, a HC and a practice. They don't generally buy multiples of the same jersey.

Again, it's about market size. The Jets have probably saturated the market when it comes to what they currently have for jerseys. The solution is to make something new.

This is extremely simple marketing - I'm not sure how you are not getting this?

I feel the same way as you.

How about the Green Bay Packers? Do you see them densely trying to re invent their jersey every 5 years because of how saturated their market is?

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I feel the same way as you.

How about the Green Bay Packers? Do you see them densely trying to re invent their jersey every 5 years because of how saturated their market is?
Again, you do not understand this at all.

Do you know the difference between the NHL and NFL business model? Obviously not. The NFL is a broadcast based profit model. The NHL is a gate based profit model.

The NFL has aggressive revenue sharing of its broadcasting revenue, meaning all teams get a big slice of the broadcasting pie. This is the reason that the NFL can be as profitable as it is only having 8 home games a year, and very limited playoffs.

Have you noticed that jersey/ logo redesigns in the NFL are far less common than in the NHL? That is because they have more strict rules based on the NFL's global marketing strategy.

The NHL has a far more volatile business model (read: because profit is based on gate and revenue, teams that struggle on the ice struggle at the gate, and struggle in the wallet) whereas the NFL is far more stable (everyone shares broadcast revenue, so even if you suck you get paid.

You are totally out of your depth here. Sorry.

Reactions: Cellee

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
Again, you do not understand this at all.

Do you know the difference between the NHL and NFL business model? Obviously not. The NFL is a broadcast based profit model. The NHL is a gate based profit model.

The NFL has aggressive revenue sharing of its broadcasting revenue, meaning all teams get a big slice of the broadcasting pie. This is the reason that the NFL can be as profitable as it is only having 8 home games a year, and very limited playoffs.

Have you noticed that jersey/ logo redesigns in the NFL are far less common than in the NHL? That is because they have more strict rules based on the NFL's global marketing strategy.

The NHL has a far more volatile business model (read: because profit is based on gate and revenue, teams that struggle on the ice struggle at the gate, and struggle in the wallet) whereas the NFL is far more stable (everyone shares broadcast revenue, so even if you suck you get paid.

You are totally out of your depth here. Sorry.

NFL teams probably re-design their jerseys as much or more than the NHL. Seattle and Tampa Bay seem to do a major redesign every 5 to 10 years totally changning their look. The Jets went retro and made a killing, and kept it. Chargers did too. The Vikings changed their look a lot last 20 years, but kept the general purpleness. I mean there's been so many changes it really begs the question: did you stop to consider this post before you made it?

Reactions: thegr8one66

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
NFL teams probably re-design their jerseys as much or more than the NHL. Seattle and Tampa Bay seem to do a major redesign every 5 to 10 years totally changning their look. The Jets went retro and made a killing, and kept it. Chargers did too. The Vikings changed their look a lot last 20 years, but kept the general purpleness. I mean there's been so many changes it really begs the question: did you stop to consider this post before you made it?
Do they change their logos?

Did you talk about the actual meat and fact in my post? No.

Anyways you're not getting it. I'm going to Subway and getting me a BMT

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
Do they change their logos?

Did you talk about the actual meat and fact in my post? No.

Anyways you're not getting it. I'm going to Subway and getting me a BMT

Yes, NFL teams have changed their logos. A lot. Like a tonne.

Picture: The evolution of every NFL logo from every team | JOE.ie

Enjoy your sandwich. Hope you can order it right :) Btw you can't just win debates by declaring yourself the victor and the other guy "not getting it". I keep giving you data that disproves points you make. You then need to re-formulate your opinion and argument with this new data.

This is almost the verbatim stuff I read from Bomber fans who said we'd never go back to royal blue jerseys. Right down to "we have them as our 3rd jerseys why would they want to spoil that revenue source?".

Johnnucleo

Jan 2, 2016
Ostrava
Yes, NFL teams have changed their logos. A lot. Like a tonne.

Picture: The evolution of every NFL logo from every team | JOE.ie

Enjoy your sandwich. Hope you can order it right :) Btw you can't just win debates by declaring yourself the victor and the other guy "not getting it". I keep giving you data that disproves points you make. You then need to re-formulate your opinion and argument with this new data.

This is almost the verbatim stuff I read from Bomber fans who said we'd never go back to royal blue jerseys. Right down to "we have them as our 3rd jerseys why would they want to spoil that revenue source?".

I rarely post but had to log in for this. You couldnt be more wrong on your assessment. Are you seriously comparing the Jets to a Subway sandwich and the Green Bay Packers??

Food is consumable and will have repeat buyers as such. Terrible argument.

The Packers (and Leafs, Habs, etc) have a GLOBAL market and fan base. Comparing the Jets to them is ludicrous. We have a very small and finite market. Once everyone has an HC jersey which you have already said 2/3 of crowd has, no one esle is buying it. People arent buying multiples of same thing. This is why the 3rd Jersey will NEVER be the HC but rather something totally different.

Its business 101.

Jet is 100% correct.

Johnnucleo

Jan 2, 2016
Ostrava
Ulitmately though I think you are arguing two different things. I think you are saying that because HC is most popular it should become our permanent jersey. Im good with that.

But the point of the thread is about a third "different" jersey. To make that something that already exists and 2/3 of market already has makes no sense.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Ulitmately though I think you are arguing two different things. I think you are saying that because HC is most popular it should become our permanent jersey. Im good with that.

But the point of the thread is about a third "different" jersey. To make that something that already exists and 2/3 of market already has makes no sense.

Agreed. Personally Id love it if they did a polar bear 3rd jersey.. Something unique and different. People who expect it to be similar to their current or 1.0 ones dont get it.

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
I rarely post but had to log in for this. You couldnt be more wrong on your assessment. Are you seriously comparing the Jets to a Subway sandwich and the Green Bay Packers??

Food is consumable and will have repeat buyers as such. Terrible argument.

The Packers (and Leafs, Habs, etc) have a GLOBAL market and fan base. Comparing the Jets to them is ludicrous. We have a very small and finite market. Once everyone has an HC jersey which you have already said 2/3 of crowd has, no one esle is buying it. People arent buying multiples of same thing. This is why the 3rd Jersey will NEVER be the HC but rather something totally different.

Its business 101.

Jet is 100% correct.

Same arguments were made, verbatim, about the royal blue bomber jerseys. Your marketing and sales points are 100% wrong.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Hey all,

I figured with the somber vibe around here I'd try to take our minds off of it with a tidbit of information I learned last night. I marked this as 'rumor' because I have not seen anything official as in documents or pictures. However, the person I've heard this from is at a senior level with Fanatics (he travels a lot, works with vendors, clients and their manufacturers). I play hockey with this guy (really great player, too :) )

He revealed to me that Fanatics (who have been making the NHL's replica jerseys and have a 16 year contract to make the quick turn around apparel like Stanley Cup gear, etc) will start making the NHL's official player worn jerseys next year. I asked him if the Jets are getting a 3rd next year and to my surprise he said yes! However, it's not what I really expected. The jerseys will have powder blue as the primary color (original, huh?) and the logo will be one we have not seen before. He described it as a script logo, with inspiration from our original logo (heritage classic) but with the jet incorporated in the 'T' of Jets.

I badgered him to show me a picture - he was reluctant but might show me on his phone. I play with him on Sunday so I will be asking him again. If I get to see anything I will try to render a drawing from that (though I warn you now I am NOT an artist :)

I'm not sure I will like this, I would have rather seen us go to the HC jerseys more often, or even the 90's jersey for a year.
Ok that sounds awesome.

Hoping it is legit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad