Speculation: Winnipeg Jets to get 3rd Jersey next season - with a new logo

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Frankly I'm tired of the pining for the old jersey and logos, the 'Jump' goal song, Curt Keilback, whatever. We have the heritage jersey, that's enough imho. Good lord let it go. This team had already gone farther than any other incarnation of the Jets. Stop living in the past.
I totally agree. I can see if the Jet 1.0 won the Stanley Cup but they never did and never got past the second round so why bring it back?
Who knows maybe bringing back the retro jersey the Jets go back to being the old Jets and get knocked out in the first round.

Reactions: JetBlue420

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
I'm partial to the Jets 1.0 because that's what i grew up watching and when it got ripped away from us , it was very hard to deal with . So every time i see that Heritage Classic jersey it puts a smile on my face , that and they are awesome looking jerseys . :)

I agree, and we got them. We also have a lot of other tribute merch out there. I see no need to make yet another set of tribute jerseys. Sorry if I disparaged any memories (I'm an older fan myself, and can wax nostalgic with the best of them) but I'd like if we moved on. The team we have now is awesome, the best NHL team ever to be named 'Jets'. Let's celebrate the present, and the future.

Mind you, if this team won the cup in the next few years, 30 years from now I'd be demanding that this version of the jersey/logo was on everything.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I totally agree. I can see if the Jet 1.0 won the Stanley Cup but they never did and never got past the second round so why bring it back?
Who knows maybe bringing back the retro jersey the Jets go back to being the old Jets and get knocked out in the first round.
what does a team's success have to do with how pretty a logo is?

Reactions: DannyGallivan

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg

The Heritage Classic uniforms look great and it's not only been acknowledged by the fans here but also elsewhere. Also, don't forget that the uniforms weren't based on the Jets 1.0 of the NHL but rather on the WHA Jets who in fact did win championships.

:jets

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
what does a team's success have to do with how pretty a logo is?

Well it's all subjective, but I'd argue the appeal of the 80's logo is founded on nostalgia and sentiment rather than design aesthetic. It's 'kitschy'. Looking at it objectively, it's two wordmarks (two different fonts no less) in a circle, with a silhouette of passenger jet. It's a bit busy, with the 'Winnipeg' wordmark looking scrunched, and with a bit too much negative space in some areas.

The 90's redesign makes better use of space as well as fonts, but is still essentially just a wordmark in a circle.

The current logo is not without it's flaws either IMHO, I never loved the idea of overlapping leaf/jet images. But I like the symmetry and aggressive look of it.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
I wouldn't mind if the Jets alternate wordmark logo appeared on the front of a third jersey.

22f6573292009af0842cc0196617badd.gif

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
First wish - heritage jerseys. If they want to change it up, make the blue brighter (royal blue) instead of the dark blue.

However, I do like a power-blue option (always liked that colour). The Moose wore Polar Bear jerseys awhile back, which were (I imagine) destined for the NHL Winnipeg team had Chipman not given in and named the team "Jets". I heard from team communications boss Scott Brown several years back that the team had already designed jerseys for the Winnipeg Polar Bears and they looked better than any in the league. Take a look yourselves:

screenshot2016-01-09at8.57.13pm_75736.png

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
this wordmark is so horrible that i count the days down until the Jets replace this monstricity with something that is not from the late '90s/early 2000s

Tell us how you really feel. ;)

I guess there's a wide variety of opinions regarding a third jersey for the Jets and that's okay.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
First wish - heritage jerseys. If they want to change it up, make the blue brighter (royal blue) instead of the dark blue.

However, I do like a power-blue option (always liked that colour). The Moose wore Polar Bear jerseys awhile back, which were (I imagine) destined for the NHL Winnipeg team had Chipman not given in and named the team "Jets". I heard from team communications boss Scott Brown several years back that the team had already designed jerseys for the Winnipeg Polar Bears and they looked better than any in the league. Take a look yourselves:

screenshot2016-01-09at8.57.13pm_75736.png

I agree with you on your first point DG. I don't mind the blue that they used on the Heritage Classic jerseys but I would be okay with royal blue as you suggested or the color in the picture below. As to your second point regarding the powder blue jerseys, with all due respect I'll have to disagree with you on that since I've never been a fan of powder blue as the color seems too passive. Also, I'm so thankful the Polar Bears name was not chosen for our team.

original.jpg

Conflicted Habs fan

"Beauty will save the world" - Dostoyevsky
Sponsor
Nov 23, 2011
Montreal
I would like to see the logo tweeked abit. The leaf looks off a bit behind the jet. Maybe making the jet red would look better? Also the blue is too generic navy coloured blue. The away jerseys are better looking in my opinion

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
Just throwing it out there. A Whiteout Jersey would be interesting.

All white, no shoulder pad, only colour being the # name and crest on the front. Might be boring but would be awesome come next years playoffs.

So in Jets 2.0 what is the record when fans embrace the "whiteout"
5 wins 6 losses.

Wow, what a crazy advantage all those fans wearing white give the Jets. Let's design a Jersey to reinforce and celebtrate the losing ways.

oldcoot

Jan 25, 2012

Without Google, I'm figuring (back row) Bob Guindon, Bill Lesuk, don't know, Larry Hillman, a couple of suits, Hexie Rhiiheranta, Willy Lindstrom, Lyle Moffatt, Peter Sullivan (second row) suit, don't know (Lynn Powis?), Ted Green, Veli-Pekka Ketola, Duke Asmundson, Thommie Bergman, Mike Ford, Anders, Ulf, suit (front row) Joe Daley, Larry Hornung, Bobby, suits, Lars-Erik Sjoberg, Norm Beaudin, and Curt Larson.
I'm guessing on a few.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
So in Jets 2.0 what is the record when fans embrace the "whiteout"
5 wins 6 losses.

Wow, what a crazy advantage all those fans wearing white give the Jets. Let's design a Jersey to reinforce and celebtrate the losing ways.

Actually, the Jets won 9 times in this year's playoffs.

It's unfortunate that you've become cynical about the whiteout but I would point out that the fans aren't so inept that they think wearing white is going to guarantee a win any more than players who grow a playoff beard expect to win the Stanley Cup. It's just a way for fans to rally together and cheer on the Jets. I would say for the most part the fans enjoy wearing white in solidarity. Besides, it looks awesome on t.v.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Without Google, I'm figuring (back row) Bob Guindon, Bill Lesuk, don't know, Larry Hillman, a couple of suits, Hexie Rhiiheranta, Willy Lindstrom, Lyle Moffatt, Peter Sullivan (second row) suit, don't know (Lynn Powis?), Ted Green, Veli-Pekka Ketola, Duke Asmundson, Thommie Bergman, Mike Ford, Anders, Ulf, suit (front row) Joe Daley, Larry Hornung, Bobby, suits, Lars-Erik Sjoberg, Norm Beaudin, and Curt Larson.
I'm guessing on a few.

You did a pretty good job oldcoot. You basically got all the players names correct. The player between Bill Lesuk and Larry Hillman is Gerry Odrowski. The player in the second row to the left of Ted Green is Mats Lindh.
I'll try to fill you in on some of the suits. The guy wearing glasses in the back row is Kelly Pruden (equipment manager). In the second row on the left is Bill Bozak (trainer) and I believe the guy on the right side next to Ulf Nilsson is Billy Robinson (director of player personnel). In the front row next to Hull is Dr. Gerry Wilson who is the individual that recruited Anders Hedberg and Ulf Nilsson while in Sweden doing medical research. Next to him is Bob Graham (team president), Bobby Kromm (head coach) and Rudy Pilous (general manager). The only suit I don't recognize is in the last row next to Larry Hillman. The 1975-76 Winnipeg Jets were my favorite team growing up. I knew the names off by heart and didn't require Google as I had them memorized from my youth.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

It's unfortunate that you've become cynical about the whiteout but I would point out that the fans aren't so inept that they think wearing white is going to guarantee a win any more than players who grow a playoff beard expect to win the Stanley Cup. It's just a way for fans to rally together and cheer on the Jets. I would say for the most part the fans enjoy wearing white in solidarity. Besides, it looks awesome on t.v.

Agree 100% , if they made a nice , not cheap , looking white jersey for the playoffs it would get embraced by the fans here and would sell like crazy .

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Frankly I'm tired of the pining for the old jersey and logos, the 'Jump' goal song, Curt Keilback, whatever. We have the heritage jersey, that's enough imho. Good lord let it go. This team had already gone farther than any other incarnation of the Jets. Stop living in the past.
For me, it's not a matter of pining for the past (although I am a lover of everything vintage). It's the fact that I like the late-WHA jerseys much, much more than their current ones. Everything about their current look is "okay" and maybe even good, but not great. And I especially have issues with the logo. But whatever.

And on your other points - Keilback is way better than anybody they've had since. And as far as "Jump" goes... it always sucked.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland

They won 5 games at home.
I haven't become cynical, I've been against 2.0 adopting it from the start.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad