Speculation: Winnipeg Jets to get 3rd Jersey next season - with a new logo

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Hey all,

I figured with the somber vibe around here I'd try to take our minds off of it with a tidbit of information I learned last night. I marked this as 'rumor' because I have not seen anything official as in documents or pictures. However, the person I've heard this from is at a senior level with Fanatics (he travels a lot, works with vendors, clients and their manufacturers). I play hockey with this guy (really great player, too :) )

He revealed to me that Fanatics (who have been making the NHL's replica jerseys and have a 16 year contract to make the quick turn around apparel like Stanley Cup gear, etc) will start making the NHL's official player worn jerseys next year. I asked him if the Jets are getting a 3rd next year and to my surprise he said yes! However, it's not what I really expected. The jerseys will have powder blue as the primary color (original, huh?) and the logo will be one we have not seen before. He described it as a script logo, with inspiration from our original logo (heritage classic) but with the jet incorporated in the 'T' of Jets.

I badgered him to show me a picture - he was reluctant but might show me on his phone. I play with him on Sunday so I will be asking him again. If I get to see anything I will try to render a drawing from that (though I warn you now I am NOT an artist :)

I'm not sure I will like this, I would have rather seen us go to the HC jerseys more often, or even the 90's jersey for a year.

None

Feb 22, 2012
This was from a few days ago on reddit:

It shows nothing related to design, but it's apparently an adidas order catalogue.

Hopefully it means that Fanatics will carry an authentic cut jersey rather than the tighter shirsey cut they currently make as a "replica." And that the actual authentic jerseys which are presumably still made by adidas in Canada (given that there's an order catalogue) will still be available for sale.

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
Much like how Bomber fans had to plead, beg, and shame the Bombers management for decades to get what they want, it appears we will have to do the same.

Instead of giving us fans what we want, they will tell us what they want. Always been a brilliant business model.

Reactions: purdy44

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
This was from a few days ago on reddit:

It shows nothing related to design, but it's apparently an adidas order catalogue.

O0bIab6.jpg

Hopefully it means that Fanatics will carry an authentic cut jersey rather than the tighter shirsey cut they currently make as a "replica." And that the actual authentic jerseys which are presumably still made by adidas in Canada (given that there's an order catalogue) will still be available for sale.

I pressed him for clarification and he said they will be making the actual jerseys that the players wear.

I thought it was odd as adidas just started making NHL jerseys did they not?

I'll ask again on Sunday

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Much like how Bomber fans had to plead, beg, and shame the Bombers management for decades to get what they want, it appears we will have to do the same.

Instead of giving us fans what we want, they will tell us what they want. Always been a brilliant business model.

No kidding. It’s like they don’t want to make money ... going heritage classic for our regular jerseys would be like getting a license to print money. Whenever I see pics of the whiteout it looks like a good 3/4 or more of the crowd is wearing heritage classic.

None

Feb 22, 2012
I pressed him for clarification and he said they will be making the actual jerseys that the players wear.

I thought it was odd as adidas just started making NHL jerseys did they not?

I'll ask again on Sunday

Yeah, the only thing I can think of is that maybe adidas was in over their head for production quantity. They had issues getting enough supply for retail sales for the beginning of their contract. I think there was actually discussion about whether there would even be anything available from adidas apart from what the players had on their backs.

It was a 7 year contract with adidas, at 70 million per season according to TSN, so it shouldn't be finished yet. The deal always seemed a little strange because of Fanatic's involvement, you'd think at the price that adidas is paying they would want their brand on every licensed jersey.

The catalogue from adidas could also mean they're sub-licensing out the production, maybe these jerseys made by Fanatics will have the adidas brand/logo on them?

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Yeah, the only thing I can think of is that maybe adidas was in over their head for production quantity. They had issues getting enough supply for retail sales for the beginning of their contract. I think there was actually discussion about whether there would even be anything available from adidas apart from what the players had on their backs.

It was a 7 year contract with adidas, at 70 million per season according to TSN, so it shouldn't be finished yet. The deal always seemed a little strange because of Fanatic's involvement, you'd think at the price that adidas is paying they would want their brand on every licensed jersey.

The catalogue from adidas could also mean they're sub-licensing out the production, maybe these jerseys made by Fanatics will have the adidas brand/logo on them?

That's interesting. I think you might be onto something.

I still think it was odd that the Jets would develop another logo so soon (sub 10 years). However, my buddy seemed pretty confident of what he was talking about.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba

Juding by the amount of Jets jerseys I see, Id say their business model is working perfectly. From a business stanpoint (which it is) why would they make the Heritage Jersey the third? A crap ton of people have it already. TrueNorth will of course not want to use that, they would much prefer a jersey nobody yet has. The same people that bought the Heritage jersey, will almost certainly buy the new one. Meaning more money, which, after all is what its really all about.

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
Juding by the amount of Jets jerseys I see, Id say their business model is working perfectly. From a business stanpoint (which it is) why would they make the Heritage Jersey the third? A crap ton of people have it already. TrueNorth will of course not want to use that, they would much prefer a jersey nobody yet has. The same people that bought the Heritage jersey, will almost certainly buy the new one. Meaning more money, which, after all is what its really all about.

This is an really bad argument. You know why Toronto, Montreal, Chicago, Boston dont change their jerseys dramatically? Because they are good jerseys that sell. People don't just stop buying at one. You know why Pittsburgh went back? The NY Jets? Simple, good designs that sell and are timeless.

Reactions: ERYX

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

Bingo! It's not about what people want, it's about what makes money.

That's why we got a brand new logo and jersey in 11

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
This is an really bad argument. You know why Toronto, Montreal, Chicago, Boston dont change their jerseys dramatically? Because they are good jerseys that sell. People don't just stop buying at one. You know why Pittsburgh went back? The NY Jets? Simple, good designs that sell and are timeless.
Actually, your argument is the flawed one.

The Jets don't have the fan base or huge history these other teams do. Think about market size and fan base.

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
Actually, your argument is the flawed one.

The Jets don't have the fan base or huge history these other teams do. Think about market size and fan base.
What does history have to do with it? It's design of jersey. We did a poll recently about what people wanted for our primary jersey and the heritage style jersey won and it wasn't close.

There's nothing that drives me crazy more than people telling other people what they should like. You're allowed to like the current primary more but don't make up excuses as to why the heritage jersey is more popular.

ryerockarola

Nov 20, 2011
Bingo! It's not about what people want, it's about what makes money.

That's why we got a brand new logo and jersey in 11
I'm generally with you but heard strong rumors that they were going to be called the Manitoba Falcons. If that were true, Chipman caved and gave the people what they want, and I can see why haha Go Jets Go

Reactions: Jet

BobEssensa

Jun 16, 2011
That's odd that Fanatics would be making an authentic jersey. Perhaps they'll be doing a takedown model, similar to the Reebok Premier jerseys - not as expensive as authentics, but a step up over that garbage Fanatics is currently pumping out with the screen printed logos and numbers.

If that is the case, then I'm guessing Adidas is likely to raise the prices of their authentic jerseys next season then.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
What does history have to do with it? It's design of jersey. We did a poll recently about what people wanted for our primary jersey and the heritage style jersey won and it wasn't close.

There's nothing that drives me crazy more than people telling other people what they should like. You're allowed to like the current primary more but don't make up excuses as to why the heritage jersey is more popular.
I think you are getting confused about what people like and what marketing strategies companies make to make money.

I am not arguing with you about style or looks. If they do this powder blue with script logo Im pretty sure I won't like it. Hell, I don't like our current jersey tbh. It's not about what you or I like, or what the fanbase likes. It's how the business generates revenue, and for the Jets, with a tiny fan base, they need to turn over jerseys in order to keep making money off of merch.

Sorry if you don't like it, but this is basic merchandising.

EDIT: for the record (and I think you missed me saying this) I love the HC jersey and I want it to be our regular sweater/ uni

Reactions: White Out 902

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I'm generally with you but heard strong rumors that they were going to be called the Manitoba Falcons. If that were true, Chipman caved and gave the people what they want, and I can see why haha Go Jets Go
I think the Jets did indeed cave - but they also didn't. They caved by naming the team the Jets, but they didn't cave by using an existing jersey and logo - best of both worlds for them.

Reactions: kellhunter

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010

Yeah, a poll of hardcore HF'ers doesn't really give you an accurate pulse of the general public.

Reactions: kellhunter

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
if your description is close to the actual finished product, i may hurl.
powder blue is what the thrashers tried. no thank you. as did the MB Polar Bears' jersey. again, no thanks.

thegr8one66

Mar 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I love the light blue colour on our current jersey and was hoping for it to be a primary colour on a future jersey. Really looking forward to this (if true).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad