Winnipeg Jets select F Nikolaj Ehlers (1/9) (signs 3-year ELC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Not saying that perception wasn't out there, but I'm guessing it came from people who never watched Ehlers.

You watch him for a couple shifts, and he immediately stands out. There's no way you would assume "ah yeah, I bet this guy just rides Drouin's coattails".

Exactly. Any comments like that clearly came from someone who hadn't seen him play.

He jumps out every game I've ever seen even when he's not really scoring.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Not saying that perception wasn't out there, but I'm guessing it came from people who never watched Ehlers.

You watch him for a couple shifts last year, and he immediately stands out. There's no way you would assume "ah yeah, I bet this guy just rides Drouin's coattails". Come to think of it, IIRC he wasn't playing with Drouin for a good part of last season.

I think that was a perception spread by 'some' media. First they assumed he was playing on Drouin's line then the narrative morphed to he was getting the easier minutes because the other teams were all keying on Drouin. I don't think there was ever any good reason for it but it was out there. Like I said, I think we can put that one to rest.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
In retrospect, I think the Jets blew it last year by not going into a "mini tank" to get the #6 pick. It was very risky to slip to pick #9. If the Canucks and Canes hadn't picked Virtanen and Fleury, the Jets would have had to pick from among them and a few others, instead of nabbing Ehlers. He looks like he might turn out to be another home run pick like Trouba.

mzappa

Jets fans in space
Jun 27, 2011
Thats 'Sip for you! Always a glowing positive ball of sunshine! :laugh:

:biglaugh:

LLW post 1st line numbers pretty much every year, while handling the tough assignments. I think Ehlers will be a beaut, but c'mon.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
:biglaugh:

LLW post 1st line numbers pretty much every year, while handling the tough assignments. I think Ehlers will be a beaut, but c'mon.

Do you honestly think Ladd, Little or Wheeler would be top line players on a good team? I don't and we'll agree to differ. Granted they do an excellent job with the tough assignments and with 8 goals each aren't doing too bad.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Do you honestly think Ladd, Little or Wheeler would be top line players on a good team? I don't and we'll agree to differ. Granted they do an excellent job with the tough assignments and with 8 goals each aren't doing too bad.

I think they'd be top line players on many teams, yes. They are consistently in the middle level of scoring for 1st line players, and Wheeler and Ladd have been above average for their positions a number of times.

If your definition is that they must beat out guys like Crosby, then I can see where you're coming from.

We should take this to 'Around the League' if you want to continue the conversation. :nod:

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
This.

The skating, explosive style, wicked shot.

Love the draft pick.

Another Bure-esque thing he does is handle the puck at top speed, alot of guys can't do that. It appears he doesn't slow down at all with the puck on his stick.

With Burmi, (fingers crossed) Ehlers, Petan coming next year, forward strength is not an issue with the Jets.

It would be nice to see more from Lipon and Kosmachuk, but you also have to think one of Blomqvist, Copp, Lodge and De Leo will turn into an NHL regular.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Ehlers reminds me more of Mogilny than Bure. He's gonna be great.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

Wheeler was tied for 4th in the league in RW scoring last year with Marty St. Louis and Patrick Kane. 21st overall. I'm pretty sure he'd slot in as RW1 on at least 25 teams.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
In retrospect, I think the Jets blew it last year by not going into a "mini tank" to get the #6 pick. It was very risky to slip to pick #9. If the Canucks and Canes hadn't picked Virtanen and Fleury, the Jets would have had to pick from among them and a few others, instead of nabbing Ehlers. He looks like he might turn out to be another home run pick like Trouba.

there's one in every crowd - yep, told you so:shakehead

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013

I'm going to pile on. Pittsburgh would kill to have Wheeler or Ladd on their 1st line with Crosby

/end

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Another Bure-esque thing he does is handle the puck at top speed, alot of guys can't do that. It appears he doesn't slow down at all with the puck on his stick.

100% agree. It is the combination of his elite speed and ability to make very good plays at top speed. Bure was a bit thicker but that is exactly what Nik reminds me of....it is that breathtaking, bring the fans out of their seats style.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
100% agree. It is the combination of his elite speed and ability to make very good plays at top speed. Bure was a bit thicker but that is exactly what Nik reminds me of....it is that breathtaking, bring the fans out of their seats style.

If we looked at him now with our homerism dialed back just a bit just how good is he really? I keep getting the sense here that people are deliberately restraining themselves a little. Comparisons to Bure and Mogilny aren't very restrained but then I will see projections of him on our 2nd or even 3rd line when he arrives. I guess I am contradicting myself in a way but I do get a strange vibe of people not wanting to get carried away. It is like they are saying he will be like Bure, Selanne or Mogilny in style but at a lower level. Most here seem to agree that he was a steal at 9th and we should have finished 6th and drafted him there. Any 'realistic' chance that he should have been higher than 6th? I'm not asking what people might think is his low probability ceiling. That is obviously very high. I am asking what is his likely level? PPG? Higher? Calder? Hart? Ross? None of those?

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
My heart says he becomes a PPG elite winger, but I don't want to get ahead of myself when he hasn't had a season in the NHL. :(

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
If we looked at him now with our homerism dialed back just a bit just how good is he really? I keep getting the sense here that people are deliberately restraining themselves a little. Comparisons to Bure and Mogilny aren't very restrained but then I will see projections of him on our 2nd or even 3rd line when he arrives. I guess I am contradicting myself in a way but I do get a strange vibe of people not wanting to get carried away. It is like they are saying he will be like Bure, Selanne or Mogilny in style but at a lower level. Most here seem to agree that he was a steal at 9th and we should have finished 6th and drafted him there. Any 'realistic' chance that he should have been higher than 6th? I'm not asking what people might think is his low probability ceiling. That is obviously very high. I am asking what is his likely level? PPG? Higher? Calder? Hart? Ross? None of those?

Future all-time points leader of the Winnipeg Jets/Atlanta Thrashers franchise. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad