Winnipeg Jets select F Nikolaj Ehlers (1/9) (signs 3-year ELC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Wasn't the main "knock" on Ehlers that he was benefiting from playing with Drouin, so he had much more room to move because Drouin was the one facing the top D lines all the time? If so, it appears the kid has figured out how to play without the benefit of said Drouin.

Thought he didn't play with Drouin, except on pp situations.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Drouin's best month was November 2013: 31 points in 10 games.

However, his team scored a whopping 62 goals that month. So Drouin was in on 50% of his team's goals that month.

Ehlers just finished a November with 34 points out his team's 51 goals (66.7%). That's how insane Ehlers' November was...

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Drouin's best month was November 2013: 31 points in 10 games.

However, his team scored a whopping 62 goals that month. So Drouin was in on 50% of his team's goals that month.

Ehlers just finished a November with 34 points out his team's 51 goals (66.7%). That's how insane Ehlers' November was...

... That's pretty good, I guess.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Wasn't the main "knock" on Ehlers that he was benefiting from playing with Drouin, so he had much more room to move because Drouin was the one facing the top D lines all the time? If so, it appears the kid has figured out how to play without the benefit of said Drouin.

It goes both ways.

Drouin was effectively facing the other team's "checking lines" more often, but it was Ehlers who more often faced the other team's #1 scoring line.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I kind of worry that a lot of the stuff that Ehlers is racking up the points on isn't going to work in the NHL. You're not going to split an NHL defense 3 times in a game...

Still, amazing talent. Can't wait to see him on the Jets.

Boxertim

Mar 21, 2014
winnipeg
I kind of worry that a lot of the stuff that Ehlers is racking up the points on isn't going to work in the NHL. You're not going to split an NHL defense 3 times in a game...

He will only need to do it once every few games to make me happy

Whileee

May 29, 2010

He doesn't need to do it three times a game. Now and again is all you need to be a game-breaker in the NHL. But if you can't do it with some regularity at Junior level, you'll never do it at the NHL level.

What he's showing in the Q is his explosiveness with the puck and great vision and scoring ability. He also has a terrific sense of time and space to get open in the offensive zone. These are all skills that I think will translate to the NHL, though with less regular and spectacular results.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario

Well I'm pretty sure Ehlers also won't be scoring at a 2.0 ppg pace at the NHL level anyways so I wouldn't worry about some of those things. Nor would I hold him to that sort of standard. I don't think anyone should watch a junior prospect and think, "he won't be able to do that with regularity at the NHL level" because it's pretty much a given at that point.

On the flip side one could look at a player who plays a totally different style of game and think, "well Nick Ritchie probably won't be able to simply run NHL defensemen over 3 times a game when they're all the same size or bigger than him".

That being said Ehlers will split defenses and blow by NHL defensemen at this level with some regularity, I can guarantee that.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Well I'm pretty sure Ehlers also won't be scoring at a 2.0 ppg pace at the NHL level anyways so I wouldn't worry about some of those things. Nor would I hold him to that sort of standard. I don't think anyone should watch a junior prospect and think, "he won't be able to do that with regularity at the NHL level" because it's pretty much a given at that point.

On the flip side one could look at a player who plays a totally different style of game and think, "well Nick Ritchie probably won't be able to simply run NHL defensemen over 3 times a game when they're all the same size or bigger than him".

That being said Ehlers will split defenses and blow by NHL defensemen at this level with some regularity, I can guarantee that.

Yep, with his speed he'll go around and through defenses with regularity. It may take him some time to adjust, but can you imagine what a difference it will be to have an Ehlers available for 4 on 4 hockey, and especially for shootouts.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
It goes both ways.

Drouin was effectively facing the other team's "checking lines" more often, but it was Ehlers who more often faced the other team's #1 scoring line.

Agreed.

And to the other comments, yeah, Drouin and Ehlers only played together on the PP or so it was reported (I suspect other small instances but not the norm). That's why I put "knock" in the quotations - it's a pretty weak knock at best and as Sweech points out it can be cut as a complement on Ehlers defensive abilities to an extent. I suspect QoC evened it out a fair bit. Very happy with Ehlers.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Kid is putting together a very impressive run. Really hope he is successful in his NHL career. This team could look very different in a couple of years!

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
I just hope he makes the team next year. They need scoring talent and they need it now

MikeyP

Oct 1, 2013
Halifax

Ya I think it's fair to say that that we can put that one to bed... Also lets not forget last year that he was a rookie playing against seasoned 2nd liners... its not like he was 3rd or 4th liner out there last year.

On track for a 130 point season?
:naughty:

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
lol...13 points in 3 games! I'm not sure he's got much left to learn in the juniors. :laugh:

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
I seem to remember another European-born goalscorer drafted to Winnipeg who had speed to burn ....... #FinnishFlash ----> #DanishDash

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Reality is not the question here. There was a perception that he was riding Drouin's coattails. I think that has been put to rest.

Not saying that perception wasn't out there, but I'm guessing it came from people who never watched Ehlers.

You watch him for a couple shifts last year, and he immediately stands out. There's no way you would assume "ah yeah, I bet this guy just rides Drouin's coattails". Come to think of it, IIRC he wasn't playing with Drouin for a good part of last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille