Winnipeg Jets select F Nikolaj Ehlers (1/9) (signs 3-year ELC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
He's good but not Conner McDavid good. Except for his goal I did not like his game against the USHL All stars.

Right. That's another reason why I would have him in the NHL on the third line, with a focus on playing well in all 3 zones. Especially in the d and neutral zones.

Another year in Jr would mean he continues to cheat on the offensive side of the game, and continues to build bad habits, IMO.

Get him here, work on his game without the puck. They need more skill and scoring ability in the line up. Especially in the bottom 6.

Now all we have to do is resist the temptation to trade Kane and overpay a ton to get Burmi back. :naughty:

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Didn't Chevy go have a face to face with him and ever since he's been beasting? Maybe I'm wrong thought I read that somewhere.

Probably said something along the lines of "Leave me with no choice about what to do with you next year kid!"

I think he will be a welcome addition to the 2nd line once he finds his NHL game. A Perrault Sheif Ehlers line is a scary thought (is he RW or LW?)

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I think he slots into the "3rd line" alongside Kane/Lowry. It kind of fits for him. First he plays with 2 big guys who will stand up for him as he will get or attempted to get a rough ride by teams. Second with the chances Halischuk gets on that line, Ehlers should be able to get some goals playing there. Thirdly you can start to give him easy 2nd PP time with Kane/Scheif on a 2nd unit. Fourthly he will come "cheap" on the payroll. Unless he hits his bonuses but then that is just another gain for the Jets if does that.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think he slots into the "3rd line" alongside Kane/Lowry. It kind of fits for him. First he plays with 2 big guys who will stand up for him as he will get or attempted to get a rough ride by teams. Second with the chances Halischuk gets on that line, Ehlers should be able to get some goals playing there. Thirdly you can start to give him easy 2nd PP time with Kane/Scheif on a 2nd unit. Fourthly he will come "cheap" on the payroll. Unless he hits his bonuses but then that is just another gain for the Jets if does that.

I agree with this, depending on what happens with Frolik. I think that if Frolik doesn't re-sign and is traded at the deadline, we then Burmi might fill in his role.

LLW
Perreault-Scheif-Burmi/Frolik
Kane-Lowry-Ehlers

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg

Agree, Joe.

Though I had Lowry centering our 4th line. Though, I'm fully expecting Slater to be resigned and then Lowry is on the 3rd line.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I think Ehlers is going to surprise right away - more like Forsberg and Gaudreau this year.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I agree with this, depending on what happens with Frolik. I think that if Frolik doesn't re-sign and is traded at the deadline, we then Burmi might fill in his role.

LLW
Kane-Lowry-Ehlers

There are several question marks regarding out top 9 starters next year. Will Burmi, Frolik, Buff be back? Buff may be on D or he may be traded. That would open a spot for Burmi unless Buff is traded for a top 9 F. Of course that assumes Burmi comes back. Russian finances now make that pretty likely but maybe Burmi gets traded. Then there is Frolik. No need to discuss that again. The fact is that right now he is a question mark (only a week and a day till he could sign now). We could have 2 openings without Burmi or we could have 1 surplus player if all 3 are back and competing for top 9 spots. If there is 1 opening for one of our prospects I would expect Petan to get it before Ehlers (unless Ehlers really kicks the door in). He was playing a good, 2 way, pro style game already last year and should be that much more ready than last year. His ceiling is quite a bit lower than Ehlers but I think his readiness level will be quite a bit higher. If any opening has been filled by the return on a trade for either Buff or Frolik or has been filled by a FA signing then Petan will likely go to the rock.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

LLW
Kane-Lowry-Ehlers

That looks pretty good. It sure would be nice to get Frolik re-signed and have Burmi back as well. Could really start to get closer to a 4th line that can actually be used.

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Perreault - Scheifele - Frolik
Kane - Burmi - Ehlers
X - Lowry - W

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
That looks pretty good. It sure would be nice to get Frolik re-signed and have Burmi back as well. Could really start to get closer to a 4th line that can actually be used.

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Kane - Burmi - Ehlers
X - Lowry - W

Thats a solid centre line up.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Kane - Burmi - Ehlers
X - Lowry - W

'X' = Buff and 'W' = Petan :yo:

With Buff on the "4th Line" you could even move him back not just on the PP, but also in games if we're down a goal late in the game or down a couple goals early.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

With Buff on the "4th Line" you could even move him back not just on the PP, but also in games if we're down a goal late in the game or down a couple goals early.

I think Thorburn has to be in there somewhere.

And are the Jets really not re-signing Slater? I just find it hard to wrap my head around him not getting a deal here...

Lowry-Slater-Thorbz ?

Hustlechuk
Peluso

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

That would be something to see. Unfortunately I can't see Buff's next contract being one that you could have on your 4th line.

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Kane - Burmi - Ehlers
X - Lowry - W

That looks great to me. That'd be a great top 9 and the beginning of a really good 4th as well.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
I think Ehlers to be such a dynamic talent that it wouldn't surprise me if they've already internally counted upon giving him a spot in the lineup next season - as long as he proves able to understand that he needs to consistently play down low in his own zone (versus fleeing the zone in junior). I can see them sheltering him on the 3rd' line 5V5 and giving him plenty of duty on the power-play. Can already imagine Ehlers and Schiefele paired up as an amazing duo on the pp, given all the extra room out there when 5V4. Am not by any means saying we should have high expectations, but he is such a dynamic kid, one with incredible wheels to go along with the hands, that he is capable of surprising to the upside, in my view.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
If Ehlers was drafted out of an European league instead of the CHL he could go right to the AHL couldn't he or do I have that wrong?

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
If Ehlers was drafted out of an European league instead of the CHL he could go right to the AHL couldn't he or do I have that wrong?

Euro league or US he could go to the AHL. It's a CHL thing.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I think Ehlers to be such a dynamic talent that it wouldn't surprise me if they've already internally counted upon giving him a spot in the lineup next season - as long as he proves able to understand that he needs to consistently play down low in his own zone (versus fleeing the zone in junior). I can see them sheltering him on the 3rd' line 5V5 and giving him plenty of duty on the power-play. Can already imagine Ehlers and Schiefele paired up as an amazing duo on the pp, given all the extra room out there when 5V4. Am not by any means saying we should have high expectations, but he is such a dynamic kid, one with incredible wheels to go along with the hands, that he is capable of surprising to the upside, in my view.

Agree 100% Gump with your thoughts here.

Interestingly, Scheifele used to be guilty of fleeing the d-zone early in junior too - wasn't until his final year until he started to work down low consistently, and even then, had to take it up another notch in the NHL.

Ehler's is a smart kid, like Scheif: I have no doubt he'll figure it out. Might go through a spell of low production while he does, but the talented offensive players usually see that part of their game return, once they've paid attention to the defensive aspects.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Kane - Burmi - Ehlers
X - Lowry - W

Solid line up.

I wonder where Petan fits in long term.

Maybe Perreault's replacement in a few years? Or maybe he pushes Burmi to the 4th line with Lowry. Petan does seem like the type to have better chemistry with Kane and Ehlers.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

With each viewing you can see even more what a remarkable talent he is. His speed and acceleration are remarkable. He has fantastic hands, with a terrific shot (forehand and backhand), and he can handle the puck like it's on a string at full speed. What has impressed me more and more is his great vision on the ice. He sees openings and makes plays to players that anticipate where the space is going to be. He'll need to tighten that up in the NHL, but when he is playing with other talented and smart players it will open up a lot of offensive opportunities. He really is a rare talent, and I think the Jets have already figured that out. He won't be difficult to coach, either. Maurice will get him playing the right way fairly quickly, and I would be surprised if he doesn't start next year with the Jets.

If he does, the Jets could have remarkable depth up front, and on D.

LLW
Perreault-Scheif-Frolik
Kane-Lowry-Ehlers

You could still have Burmi and Buff, who are definitely top-9 forwards, along with Petan waiting in the wings. The Jets could have as many as 12 legitimate top-9 forwards.

On D...

Enstrom-Bogo
Stuart-Trouba
Chiarot-Postma

Clitsome, Pardy, Harrison as reserves. If Buff is on D...

Enstrom-Bogo
Buff-Trouba
Stuart-Postma

Chiarot, Clitsome, Pardy and Harrison as reserves - that's some nice depth.

For me, the big question is whether Chevy takes the plunge and starts trading some of his core this year or in the off-season to build up his future pipeline. They could get a good haul of picks and young players and/or prospects for players like Buff or Ladd at the TD or in the off-season. I doubt Chevy would do that if the Jets are still firmly in the playoff race, but he now has some depth to trade from.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
He's good but not Conner McDavid good. Except for his goal I did not like his game against the USHL All stars.

Not alot of players are Connor McDavid good.

Possible generational talent that kid.

Having said that, I feel Ehlers will dissapoint a lot of people the way some think he is going to take over the NHL as a rookie.

Kid needs to bulk up, the game against the USHL all stars really showcased his flaws..

He was lazy and not at all responsible defensively - and he seemed to have trouble with the bigger/stronger players. Might be a case of him trying to much, which he did.

Can't determine if he was just disinterested, since he is usually energetic and responsible for Halifax.
There should be no doubt that he is a speciel talent though, but his superior offensive skills let's him cheat alot on the offense in the Q, especially against the weaker teams of the Maritime division. He is smart enough to know that wont work in the big league I believe.

I know he is not AHL eligable till 21, but can Winnipeg demand he be sent to Europe? Or does the CHL have dibs on him if he is not in the NHL?

Last edited:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Not alot of players are Connor McDavid good.

Possible generational talent that kid.

Having said that, I feel Ehlers will dissapoint a lot of people the way some think he is going to take over the NHL as a rookie.

Kid needs to bulk up, the game against the USHL all stars really showcased his flaws..

He was lazy and not at all responsible defensively - and he seemed to have trouble with the bigger/stronger players. Might be a case of him trying to much, which he did.

Can't determine if he was just disinterested, since he is usually energetic and responsible for Halifax.
There should be no doubt that he is a speciel talent though, but his superior offensive skills let's him cheat alot on the offense in the Q, especially against the weaker teams of the Maritime division. He is smart enough to know that wont work in the big league I believe.

I know he is not AHL eligable till 21, but can Winnipeg demand he be sent to Europe? Or does the CHL have dibs on him if he is not in the NHL?

he is ahl eligible at 20. and yes he can go to europe next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->