Prospect Info: Winnipeg Jets Prospects 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Hoping Skyler McKenzie and Stallard are signed.
Both Suess and Ustaski signed ATO's. I couldn't remember if Suess signed an ELC so I listed him as well. Apparently they did. Where I was looking had it formatted oddly so I saw the 18-19 expiry and figured that was the ATO they were refferring to. In fact it was a Tanev situation where Suess is an RFA this off-season. I'll edit.

I see Suess signed an ELC. Don't see Ustaski in there.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Wonder how many guys we let go this offseason that are RFA.

De Leo
Phillips
Kostalek
Lodge
Comrie
Petan
Lipon

All need to be resigned.

I'd imagine Kostalek and Lodge are let go. Petan, De Leo, Lipon, Comrie all likely resigned. Not sure what they will do with Phillips but with Hutch out and Berdin in its tough to say.

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010
I don't think De Leo, Phillips Kostalek or Lodge get qualifying offers. I'd be pretty certain that Comrie, Petan & Lipon get qualifying offers, though.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I don't think De Leo, Phillips Kostalek or Lodge get qualifying offers. I'd be pretty certain that Comrie, Petan & Lipon get qualifying offers, though.

I think they will give a QO to Phillips and De Leo. Phillips for the sake of having one more goalie in the system along with Berdin to compete for a spot on the Moose while the other plays in Jacksonville. De Leo didn't have the greatest of regular seasons but he had a solid playoffs with 8 points in 9 games. I think that will be enough for him to earn another season. Lipon kind of disappeared in the playoffs but he was good in the regular season which should earn him another shot.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think they will give a QO to Phillips and De Leo. Phillips for the sake of having one more goalie in the system along with Berdin to compete for a spot on the Moose while the other plays in Jacksonville. De Leo didn't have the greatest of regular seasons but he had a solid playoffs with 8 points in 9 games. I think that will be enough for him to earn another season. Lipon kind of disappeared in the playoffs but he was good in the regular season which should earn him another shot.

Not sure about Lipon but I think his chance at making the NHL is about done. My guess is they offer him an AHL deal. He may opt to try and catch on with another NHL team. Phillips is another who doesn't have much chance of making the NHL. They might keep him to backup Comrie or they may look for a better prospect from another org.

I think De Leo is a little young to give up on. He was just good enough to get 1 more year.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Not sure about Lipon but I think his chance at making the NHL is about done. My guess is they offer him an AHL deal. He may opt to try and catch on with another NHL team. Phillips is another who doesn't have much chance of making the NHL. They might keep him to backup Comrie or they may look for a better prospect from another org.

I think De Leo is a little young to give up on. He was just good enough to get 1 more year.

Yeah I could see them keeping Lipon as an AHLer. He's a decent AHL bottom 6 agitator type. Always good to have in the AHL. I think they keep Phillips to backup Comrie this year. Although Berdin will get a shot, whomever out of the two doesn't make likely starts in Jacksonville, my guess is Berdin. De Leo had an underwhelming season but from what I saw really turned it on in the playoffs. I think he earned himself another look on a QO.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yeah I could see them keeping Lipon as an AHLer. He's a decent AHL bottom 6 agitator type. Always good to have in the AHL. I think they keep Phillips to backup Comrie this year. Although Berdin will get a shot, whomever out of the two doesn't make likely starts in Jacksonville, my guess is Berdin. De Leo had an underwhelming season but from what I saw really turned it on in the playoffs. I think he earned himself another look on a QO.

The Jets are going to need a PB forward with Hendricks moving on.

I kind of think Lipon might perform that role decently well for cheap.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The Jets are going to need a PB forward with Hendricks moving on.

I kind of think Lipon might perform that role decently well for cheap.

I think they have their eyes set on Lemieux. Coaches love to have an agitator that can score. Lipon doesn't bring much to the table in that department in the AHL never mind the NHL.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think they have their eyes set on Lemieux. Coaches love to have an agitator that can score. Lipon doesn't bring much to the table in that department in the AHL never mind the NHL.

Maybe but I think the org would rather him play then sit in the press box. I also think some of the lustre has worn off with regards to Lemiex especially considering he can't seem to control himself on the ice. There are also some rumblings of him not being the best of teammates. We shall see.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I think there are worse players than Lipon playing regularly in the NHL but he is a fair way away from making the Jets. He might make it with another team. He is also a pretty good AHL lifer. Could go either way.

I think the goalies go; #1 starts for Moose, #2 starts for ECHL team, #3 backs up for Moose. The prospect needs to play. So Berdin should be in the ECHL.

Another factor with De Leo is that his late birthday had him in the A in his D+2 year and his ELC didn't slide so it has expired relatively early. I think he is a bit young to give up on but 1 more year is probably all he gets.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think there are worse players than Lipon playing regularly in the NHL but he is a fair way away from making the Jets. He might make it with another team. He is also a pretty good AHL lifer. Could go either way.

I think the goalies go; #1 starts for Moose, #2 starts for ECHL team, #3 backs up for Moose. The prospect needs to play. So Berdin should be in the ECHL.

Another factor with De Leo is that his late birthday had him in the A in his D+2 year and his ELC didn't slide so it has expired relatively early. I think he is a bit young to give up on but 1 more year is probably all he gets.
From the Moose forwards, I would put them in this order at this point...

Petan - He's on the cusp. Another off-season getting a bit faster and a bit stronger and he's good to go in the NHL. The only constraint is the Jets' great depth. But he could slot in on LW for the Jets if they decide they need to move Perreault. Otherwise, I see him as a roster player (not eligible for waivers), and in and out of the Jets line-up.

Lemieux - He's got good wheels, a good shot, and a nose for the net. The Jets need more players that go to the hard areas around the net, especially in the playoffs. 43 points in 51 games as an AHL sophomore is nothing to sneeze at. The main questions that remain (I think) are whether he can stay disciplined at the NHL level, and how he fits in the locker room. I think he really wants an NHL gig, and will adjust accordingly, but I could be wrong. I think the Jets coaches and management really like him. He'll get a long look at training camp.

Appleton - Prospect with a bullet. He has the smarts and skills for the NHL, but I wonder if he needs another gear. If he works hard enough to develop his quickness and power, he'll be an NHLer, but probably not next season.

Spacek - He's being groomed for a C job down the road. I think Maurice really likes him. Nice rookie season in the AHL, with improvement throughout the season. He's a serious prospect, but not for next season.

Wild card = Vesalainen. Next year might be too early, but he has NHL size and skills. He might force his way into the line-up sooner than expected.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
From the Moose forwards, I would put them in this order at this point...

Petan - He's on the cusp. Another off-season getting a bit faster and a bit stronger and he's good to go in the NHL. The only constraint is the Jets' great depth. But he could slot in on LW for the Jets if they decide they need to move Perreault. Otherwise, I see him as a roster player (not eligible for waivers), and in and out of the Jets line-up.

Lemieux - He's got good wheels, a good shot, and a nose for the net. The Jets need more players that go to the hard areas around the net, especially in the playoffs. 43 points in 51 games as an AHL sophomore is nothing to sneeze at. The main questions that remain (I think) are whether he can stay disciplined at the NHL level, and how he fits in the locker room. I think he really wants an NHL gig, and will adjust accordingly, but I could be wrong. I think the Jets coaches and management really like him. He'll get a long look at training camp.

Appleton - Prospect with a bullet. He has the smarts and skills for the NHL, but I wonder if he needs another gear. If he works hard enough to develop his quickness and power, he'll be an NHLer, but probably not next season.

Spacek - He's being groomed for a C job down the road. I think Maurice really likes him. Nice rookie season in the AHL, with improvement throughout the season. He's a serious prospect, but not for next season.

Wild card = Vesalainen. Next year might be too early, but he has NHL size and skills. He might force his way into the line-up sooner than expected.

Good assessment. The post you quoted though was just discussing which Moose RFA's might be retained.

It was a bit of a surprise when they switched Spacek to C but he seems to be thriving there. Good potential.

Lemieux looks like a future NHL'er but he needs to play smarter, more emotionally controlled.

Appleton might have played in the NHL this year with some teams. Really stood out in the game I saw.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Good assessment. The post you quoted though was just discussing which Moose RFA's might be retained.

It was a bit of a surprise when they switched Spacek to C but he seems to be thriving there. Good potential.

Lemieux looks like a future NHL'er but he needs to play smarter, more emotionally controlled.

Appleton might have played in the NHL this year with some teams. Really stood out in the game I saw.
We agree. I went on a tangent, considering where the Jets prospects are, and how that relates to future decisions. As you can see, I didn't list Lipon or De Leo in my group. I think they are likely not higher than those I noted, so probably buried under 5 other prospects at this point.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
A couple of prospects that have real important seasons coming up are Harkins and Nogier.

Last season for Nogier was essentially a write off given how much time he missed with that shoulder injury. He will have to show that he can rebound and take a step forward if he is to work himself back into being a consideration for call ups.

Harkins had a fairly dissapointing first year as a pro. He has to cone into camp stronger and quicker and show that he can play at the AHL level.

I am also looking forward to seeing how Green and Stanley adapt to the pro game.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We agree. I went on a tangent, considering where the Jets prospects are, and how that relates to future decisions. As you can see, I didn't list Lipon or De Leo in my group. I think they are likely not higher than those I noted, so probably buried under 5 other prospects at this point.

Yes. I think this year was Lipon's last chance, 1 year NHL contract after ELC. That's what I think De Leo gets too. Will need to step up to take advantage of that 1 year. Either or both could win jobs with other teams.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Lipon scored fairly well and is also an agitator without taking it to Lemieux's excess. He would also probably be happy with a PB role. So I wouldn't rule it out.

He was easily the best Moose player when I saw them. A lot were missing due to injury, unfortunately. But the fact remains that he played very well when few of his teammates did.

The Ugly Truth

May 23, 2018
If Lemieux is not on the Jets roster after training camp this year I expect his agent will demand a trade. He is NHL-ready and playing another year in the AHL would be a waste.

Niku needs to bulk up this summer but make sure he doesn't lose his speed in doing so. His current physique reminds me of Karlsson when he first came into the league or Gostisbehere. Not a good match for the Big Bad Central.

Appleton surprised me, but I still think he would benefit from another year with the Moose (unless he forces the issue the way Connor did).

Petan would be best off trying to catch on with another team like Carolina or Vancouver. Reminds me of Brendan Leipsic.

Reactions: upperdeckjet

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Lipon scored fairly well and is also an agitator without taking it to Lemieux's excess. He would also probably be happy with a PB role. So I wouldn't rule it out.

He was easily the best Moose player when I saw them. A lot were missing due to injury, unfortunately. But the fact remains that he played very well when few of his teammates did.

Yeah but Lemieux has shown to be a better scorer at every level really including the AHL.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah but Lemieux has shown to be a better scorer at every level really including the AHL.

Better yes, but not enough better to make up for his downside. Or at least maybe not enough. But that isn't quite the whole story. There is no problem with having Lipon in the PB. He can fit in on the 4th line when needed and otherwise he can sit. If Lemieux can't get a regular spot in the NHL then he should still be playing in the AHL.

If Lemieux can discipline himself then he probably should be in the NHL somewhere next year. That remains to be seen. Meanwhile, if some team is ready to pay for a **** disturber I would move him.

No doubt whatsoever that Lemieux is the better prospect.

Reactions: upperdeckjet

The Ugly Truth

May 23, 2018
I can't think of a single team in the NHL other than the Jets that wouldn't have Lemieux in their lineup next year. Not one.

Much like Tom Wilson, he needs to be allowed to play with a bit of an edge - that's just his game. If you've ever played hockey at a high-level you'll know just how disruptive playing against someone like him can be. Players start worrying more about him than focusing on playing their game.

His lack of discipline is overblown. He's doing everything he can right now to get noticed by the NHL bosses. Once he's given a shot I'm pretty sure that he'll stick to smart, hardnosed hockey.

I've been impressed with his attitude over the past year. If I was as good as him and stuck playing another year in the AHL when I look around and see all the people that I'm better than that are playing on NHL teams I would be pretty pissed off. But instead of sulking, Lemieux has dug in, worked on his skating and defensive game and given 100% effort every shift I've seen him play this year. In fact, he was the only Moose player that I saw that was constantly hustling every night.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I can't think of a single team in the NHL other than the Jets that wouldn't have Lemieux in their lineup next year. Not one.

Much like Tom Wilson, he needs to be allowed to play with a bit of an edge - that's just his game. If you've ever played hockey at a high-level you'll know just how disruptive playing against someone like him can be. Players start worrying more about him than focusing on playing their game.

His lack of discipline is overblown. He's doing everything he can right now to get noticed by the NHL bosses. Once he's given a shot I'm pretty sure that he'll stick to smart, hardnosed hockey.

I've been impressed with his attitude over the past year. If I was as good as him and stuck playing another year in the AHL when I look around and see all the people that I'm better than that are playing on NHL teams I would be pretty pissed off. But instead of sulking, Lemieux has dug in, worked on his skating and defensive game and given 100% effort every shift I've seen him play this year. In fact, he was the only Moose player that I saw that was constantly hustling every night.

And we all hope you are right. :)

The concern about his discipline has been earned. But plenty of players do settle down once they make the NHL. So it isn't about his lack of discipline in the AHL. It is just about the unknown of whether he brings that with him to the NHL or not.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

The concern about his discipline has been earned. But plenty of players do settle down once they make the NHL. So it isn't about his lack of discipline in the AHL. It is just about the unknown of whether he brings that with him to the NHL or not.

Agitators will get penalties it comes with the role. It's all about taking a better player on the other team to the box with you. We play 4 on 4 so it's a blessing if he can get out the other teams top guys by getting under their skin.

The Ugly Truth

May 23, 2018

Lemieux isn't a teenager anymore and I'm pretty sure he knows now that he should already be in the NHL and why he isn't. Vincent seems to be too passive with some of his players, but I don't think Maurice would put up with repeated dumb penalties from a third or fourth liner. (Only Buff gets carte blanche.)

If Chevy can cut a deal with Edmonton and flip Trouba or Myers++ for RNH the Jets potential third line of Lemieux-Little-Roslovic would be deadly. Jets should have the best top 9 - and possibly the best entire forward lineup - in the NHL.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Agitators will get penalties it comes with the role. It's all about taking a better player on the other team to the box with you. We play 4 on 4 so it's a blessing if he can get out the other teams top guys by getting under their skin.

Yes. A successful agitator will also upset the opposition emotionally. The idea is to put them off their game.

I have some trouble with the whole concept. I like the result when my team does it successfully but I don't believe that winning justifies any and every behaviour. It is a fine line between being a pest and being a dirty player who I would have zero respect for.

Brad Marchand is an example of a person I would not like my children to emulate. I can not cheer for him or support him in any way. I can not support any team that employs him or others like him. Winning does not justify his behaviour. There are others in that category but he is the poster boy.

The difficulty comes in defining exactly where that fine line is without being hypocritical. Hockey is a physical contest and I don't expect perfect angels. I hope that Lemieux can stay on the right side of that line. He has crossed it a few times in the past. I hope he has learned from those incidents. Time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad