Winnipeg Jets Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Some talk that he's staying at UND so he can play with his younger brother who is going to be starting at UND this season. Apparently he still plans on signing with the JETS tho. Just sort of sounds like a once in a lifetime opportunity to play with his brother.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Some talk that he's staying at UND so he can play with his younger brother who is going to be starting at UND this season. Apparently he still plans on signing with the JETS tho. Just sort of sounds like a once in a lifetime opportunity to play with his brother.

Hope so. But the Moose need help NOW

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I kind of focus on age with Poolman. He will be 23 in June. He will have to be just that much better to make the NHL if he doesn't turn pro till next year. I'm going on the assumption that he needs to start playing a pro schedule with and against pro players in order to develop. So now he will be 24 before starting his first pro season. 4 years older than is typical for CHL graduates. Doesn't rule out an NHL career but it makes it even more of an uphill climb. OTOH the odds against him were pretty heavy to start with so maybe playing with his brother is worth the risk to him.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Hope so. But the Moose need help NOW

Sure but... what would you do in that case? Leave UND where you just won the national championship and have a good chance to possibly repeat as champs and get a full education and have the chance to play with your younger brother for one more year, or go join the Moose? The choice is obvious man. I'd stay at UND because there is no guarantee i have a pro career since i'm what? 24 years old now already.

It makes sense why he'd stay and not turn pro yet. He was a long shot to make it and quite frankly, he still is.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Sure but... what would you do in that case? Leave UND where you just won the national championship and have a good chance to possibly repeat as champs and get a full education and have the chance to play with your younger brother for one more year, or go join the Moose? The choice is obvious man. I'd stay at UND because there is no guarantee i have a pro career since i'm what? 24 years old now already.

It makes sense why he'd stay and not turn pro yet. He was a long shot to make it and quite frankly, he still is.

True enough. It's ultimately his decision on what he wishes to do. All the power to him if he wants to prioritize playing with his brother next year. I do agree with Mort though that the longer he stays the less chance of a pro career he has.

Deif

Sep 20, 2014
http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/4015731-und-hockey-poolman-return-junior-season

UND will have two Poolmans on its blue line next season.

Standout defenseman Tucker Poolman will return to school for his junior season and play with his brother, Colton, for the first time in their careers. Colton is an incoming freshman defenseman.

The Winnipeg Jets wanted to sign Poolman, a fifth-round NHL Draft pick, but they will have to wait until after the season.

Sounds like we tried to sign him again, not surprising.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Damn, probably means he is done as a Jet. What a shame. NHL should change the rules to at the very least make these NCAA players reenter the draft if they don't sign, just like CHL players, to disincentivize kinda thing

How would that prevent Poolman from staying in School exactly?

FytinSioux

Blackhawksssssss
Nov 30, 2009
ND
Winnipeg is still the closest team to home, it's only like a 2 hour drive. Seems like a lot of free agents head closer to home if they have a chance.

supersonic jet

Jun 22, 2014
Winnipeg

Draft his brother with a 7th Rd pick for a possible chance to be reunited before someone else does:nod:

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Recalled wrong. Thanks.

Just a note that that doesnt give Jets exclusive negotiating rights. He can still sign with anyone in nhl. Rfa status so jets could match any contract. @evil little not you mcpw

Fair enough. "Jets still own his RFA rights" was too clunky, and I'm loath to start over on a sentence even when I'm getting paid. ;)

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
How would that prevent Poolman from staying in School exactly?

Takes away the incentive of staying that extra year or two in college to sign as a UFA with the team of your choosing. If they are instead re-entered into the draft then the team will be a crapshoot, you would really have to hate your current team and situation to go that route.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Takes away the incentive of staying that extra year or two in college to sign as a UFA with the team of your choosing. If they are instead re-entered into the draft then the team will be a crapshoot, you would really have to hate your current team and situation to go that route.

You are assuming he is staying in college to become a UFA. What does he gain by that? You are suggesting that a player drafted at 18 by a team should re-enter the draft at 22 . Have you actually thought this through? Where would they play if they don't sign with the second team?

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Correct me if I'm wrong, but due to age and unlike most sophomores Poolman's RFA/UFA calendar is pretty much set. More interestingly, though, his ELC shrinks by a year for the next two years (again, I think) so he's actually only leaving a year of every-level AHL money on the table, give or take a game or two in the NHL.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

Vesey planned to sign with Nashville too.

When the options opens up, becoming a UFA is a strong and logical option.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Vesey planned to sign with Nashville too.

When the options opens up, becoming a UFA is a strong and logical option.

He can still sign with the Jets in March and receive a signing bonus plus an NHL salary for a few weeks. No other team can offer that.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
With regards to Poolman, if I was in his shoes(as an older brother), I'd probably stay the one more year. I'd regret not playing with my brother and finishing up school at the same time more then an NHL contract. There are always other ways to make money but you might never get another hence to play college hockey with your brother.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad