Winnipeg Jets Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
If Poolman stays with us that's fine if not honestly I don't care.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
With regards to Poolman, if I was in his shoes(as an older brother), I'd probably stay the one more year. I'd regret not playing with my brother and finishing up school at the same time more then an NHL contract. There are always other ways to make money but you might never get another hence to play college hockey with your brother.

Considering that he is a long shot to make the NHL anyway I agree. That education is important too. His pro career may consist of a couple of years in the AHL making 70k. Very different situation from the big money the star players will get.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Considering that he is a long shot to make the NHL anyway I agree. That education is important too. His pro career may consist of a couple of years in the AHL making 70k. Very different situation from the big money the star players will get.

But isn't a few years of pro hockey better than a couple? If I had that opportunity I'd make it a priority.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

But Hustlerand Lawless keep talking about him as someone who will step in and play top 4.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
You are assuming he is staying in college to become a UFA. What does he gain by that? You are suggesting that a player drafted at 18 by a team should re-enter the draft at 22 . Have you actually thought this through? Where would they play if they don't sign with the second team?

I don't know if he becomes a UFA or not but it is a tempting prospect for him esp if he has a good season, if he has a good season like the last one I'd be betting on him becoming a UFA than not. What he gains is simple, picking the right opportunity for him in the right city with the team that has promised him the best deal. As a UFA a desperate team like Oilers could guarantee him an NHL spot and there is no way the Jets could match that, or less extreme is picking an organisation with weaker RD depth than the Jets to get himself playing in the NHL.

Having NCAA players reenter the draft is to even out the incentives for Major Junior and NCAA player. It is frankly unfair to major junior players right now where when they decide to not sign with their team they have to reenter the draft and then spurn another team before getting to become a UFA, thus taking a hit on their reputation twice. If NCAA players had to re-enter the draft there would be no reason go that route unless there are fundamental differences with the team (like Kitchton), if they refuse to sign with the 2nd team that drafted them they can become a UFA after 2 years just like players who play in the Major Junior leagues and still get to become a UFA 3 years before most other players who chose to sign with their NHL team

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
But isn't a few years of pro hockey better than a couple? If I had that opportunity I'd make it a priority.

The money is not a factor at AHL salary levels unless we are talking about the top, AHL vereran players. A university education gives him something to fall back on when hockey doesn't pay him anymore. Otherwise it is a few years of riding buses and playing hockey followed by a lifetime of 'will you like fries with that?'.

But Hustlerand Lawless keep talking about him as someone who will step in and play top 4.

Is that likely? Even stepping right in and playing 3rd pair is a bit of a longshot. More like a year or 2 in the A first and then, maybe a few years in the NHL. I'm not saying he doesn't make it but he is a long way from a sure thing. A long way from the big money that can set him up so that he doesn't need to worry about earning a living if he manages his money well.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I don't know if he becomes a UFA or not but it is a tempting prospect for him esp if he has a good season, if he has a good season like the last one I'd be betting on him becoming a UFA than not. What he gains is simple, picking the right opportunity for him in the right city with the team that has promised him the best deal. As a UFA a desperate team like Oilers could guarantee him an NHL spot and there is no way the Jets could match that, or less extreme is picking an organisation with weaker RD depth than the Jets to get himself playing in the NHL.

Having NCAA players reenter the draft is to even out the incentives for Major Junior and NCAA player. It is frankly unfair to major junior players right now where when they decide to not sign with their team they have to reenter the draft and then spurn another team before getting to become a UFA, thus taking a hit on their reputation twice. If NCAA players had to re-enter the draft there would be no reason go that route unless there are fundamental differences with the team (like Kitchton), if they refuse to sign with the 2nd team that drafted them they can become a UFA after 2 years just like players who play in the Major Junior leagues and still get to become a UFA 3 years before most other players who chose to sign with their NHL team

So ncaa players wait 6 years instead of 4 for major junior? Not exactly fair at all.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Is that likely? Even stepping right in and playing 3rd pair is a bit of a longshot. More like a year or 2 in the A first and then, maybe a few years in the NHL. I'm not saying he doesn't make it but he is a long way from a sure thing. A long way from the big money that can set him up so that he doesn't need to worry about earning a living if he manages his money well.

It isn't likely, but that storyline has been pushed by H&L and some of the ride the plane types.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It isn't likely, but that storyline has been pushed by H&L and some of the ride the plane types.

Shiny new toy.

If he was a lefty he might have a better chance of making the Jets sooner. I would still love to have him signed and playing for the Moose. We need RHD depth too. And who knows he might be a good player at the NHL level. If he was 2 years younger his stats would be more exciting.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

They liked him at the prospect camp and it seems to have stuck. I don't take their player evaluations all that seriously. He's 22 and his results in college really should be taken with a grain of salt. He's a long way from being an NHL player imo. The decision to stay another year likely further puts him behind the 8 ball. The kid only seems to excel when he's one of the oldest players in whichever league he plays in, not a recipe for success as a pro imo.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
When does Poolman actually become UFA if he doesn't sign? He's only going into his 3rd year at UND.

After he complete's next year if he deregisters from school. there is a waiting period after deregistration (I think it's 30 days)

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Ivan Telegin is called up to Russia NT camp preparing for World Championships.

aren't we at the point where Telegin is no longer considered a Jets' prospect? he's not on their top 10 and i wouldn't even consider him to be in their top 20 prospect list.
there's no chance he'll be competing for a job with the Jets. even the Moose would be a long shot.

Deif

Sep 20, 2014
aren't we at the point where Telegin is no longer considered a Jets' prospect? he's not on their top 10 and i wouldn't even consider him to be in their top 20 prospect list.
there's no chance he'll be competing for a job with the Jets. even the Moose would be a long shot.

Probably not, but I still think it's nice to hear how some of the former prospects are doing.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Didn't telegrin have a major concussion or something that ruined junior or ahl career? I thought he was a thrasher top prospect at one time. Maybe I am wrong but dude could have turned corner?

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Didn't telegrin have a major concussion or something that ruined junior or ahl career? I thought he was a thrasher top prospect at one time. Maybe I am wrong but dude could have turned corner?

Atlanta pick, Atlanta and Jets prospect. Played with Scheif in Barrie in the OHL, then moved on to the AHL with the IceCaps. Suffered from a concussion (or concussions?) and had some depression issues as a result. Ended up sitting out the better part of a year before he was able to work something out with the Jets that enabled him to go back to playing hockey in Russia.

Unfortunate that he wasn't able to stick - fast and fairly talented player. Was a hoot to watch in the OHL.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

First part. He gives up his signing bonus and a few weeks of NHL pay next season to become a UFA. At least $100k. No other team can offer that.

Second part is ridiculous. You're talking about a player who is at least 22 and who has been under team control for 4 years already. CHL players have exactly the same rights.They can refuse to sign with the team that drafted them and after 4 years they also become UFA. Why should a college player have to go back in the draft?

Last edited:

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Atlanta pick, Atlanta and Jets prospect. Played with Scheif in Barrie in the OHL, then moved on to the AHL with the IceCaps. Suffered from a concussion (or concussions?) and had some depression issues as a result. Ended up sitting out the better part of a year before he was able to work something out with the Jets that enabled him to go back to playing hockey in Russia.

Unfortunate that he wasn't able to stick - fast and fairly talented player. Was a hoot to watch in the OHL.

I had nasty concussion from skiing around 4 years ago. It took around 2 to 3 years to recover. Still have a few small issues with memory and loud sounds and other things. Nasty injury!

Telegrin may have finally fully recovered? Still doubt he plays in NHL but who knows?

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Interesting thought, but at this stage I think the Jets should go for quality over quantity.

Agreed, we need quality. Our years of no mans drafting has us set with a bunch of lower end bottom six prospects.....but we have very little high end top 6 forwards & top 4 dman prospects.

We need quality, we need high end talent.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Agreed, we need quality. Our years of no mans drafting has us set with a bunch of lower end bottom six prospects.....but we have very little high end top 6 forwards & top 4 dman prospects.

We need quality, we need high end talent.

Interesting. Many in the media have pegged the Jets as having one of the best prospect pools in the league. Care to qualify your statement?

Scheifele, Trouba, and most recently Ehlers, have moved on from prospect status, but we still have K. Connor, Petan, Dano, Armia, and potentially Roslovic as forwards, and Morrissey on D. Scheif, Ehlers and Trouba are very much 1st line and potential top pairing guys. Are you pegging the ceiling of the rest of those prospects as bottom 6 or 3rd pairing?

Edit: I've moved my post and your post over from the Draft thread so we don't drag it OT.

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Earlier in this thread it was confirmed that we sent him a qualifying offer, so technically he is still a Jets prospect.

http://jets.nhl.com/club/m_news.htm?id=772923

Whether we ever see him return to NA is another question entirely. Like you said, I doubt he ever competes for a job with the Jets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad