Winnipeg Jets Prospect Thread (Part XIV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
But what about goalz?

shaking_head_breaking_bad.gif

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Since returning from the World Juniors Petan has 27 assists and 5 goals in 16 games.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
@DubFromAbove: Nic Petan is a zone entry master. Adding him and Ehlers to the Jets in the next couple years is a scary thought for others in the division.

I sure hope that the two of them can kick the door down next year. I don't know what the fascination is with a 'punching helmet' line, but I'd love to see four really good scoring lines instead.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Based on the fact that he has been THAT good. Simple as that. Do you know how many goalies played more games last season than Hellebuyck has done this season, while maintaining a sv% of .925 or higher?

When you have a goalie that is that good, why not try him out? Worst case scenario is that he doesn't save our season. Meaning we end up missing the playoffs, just as we had if our goalies up here keep playing like they have. It's what the Ducks did last season with Gibson. He didn't save them in the playoffs, and I don't see anyone claim that those games ruined him. Vasilevsky joined the Lightning, hit the ground running and is looking good up there.

Is it at all possible that these goalies who get ruined because "they were called up too early" were simply not that good, and wouldn't have made it to the NHL even if they had ages to prepare down in the NHL? We have plenty examples of goalies who looked good before the AHL, were given tons of time down there, and still don't look like they will ever make the NHL. Allen and Campbell for example.

On the other hand, we also have lots of goalies who were called up "too early" (one season or less in the AHL), and managed to turn out okay. Price, Andersen, Bobrovsky, Fleury, Varlamov, etc.

Is there a certain way to groom goalies? Heck no. So why is the idea of calling up Hellebuyck now to see if he can do what our starters can't so horrible?

Darcy Kuemper had a grand total of ONE really good season as a starter before joining the Wild. That was in the CHL, before the Jets 2.0 even existed. He has never carried a starter's workload in professional hockey.
I second your points

For me if your good, you will find a way. Good players do.
Maybe you can ease him a month or 2 but not, like 1,2,3,4 years.

The only reason is, maybe they are not physically ready. But then again, if you are good.
Your skill will shine through, you will adapt quickly.

Most of the best players start early. a lot of ok players start late, there are some late bloomers. but the really good ones can start early.

See Jacob Trouba

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I second your points

For me if your good, you will find a way. Good players do.
Maybe you can ease him a month or 2 but not, like 1,2,3,4 years.

The only reason is, maybe they are not physically ready. But then again, if you are good.
Your skill will shine through, you will adapt quickly.

Most of the best players start early. a lot of ok players start late, there are some late bloomers. but the really good ones can start early.

See Jacob Trouba

Helle is not a kid just drafted out of junior at 18. He is 21, soon to be 22.

He did need a few games in the A to adapt, like 2-3.

Hutch had a bounceback game last night so maybe his 'slump' is over. That would certainly reduce the incentive to bring Helle up but I agree that it is not necessary to keep him in the A.

I think the common 1, 2, 3, 4 years in the minors pattern is more about reassuring the NHL coaches and GMs that the player really is that good than it is about developing them. They tend to need a lot of convincing. Playing an inadequate goalie can lead to losses much more so than playing an under developed skater. More about GMs confidence than anything else.

Bottom line is that Helle should be seen as a viable option if the other 2 can't get it done.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Interesting when you look back on the drafts now post Buffalo blockbuster and reseed. knowing you are lucky to get 2 NHL players out of a draft year:

Schiefele
Armia
Lowry

Trouba
Kosmo
Hellebuyck

2013* (maybe the big draft?)
Morrissey
Petan
Comrie
Lodge
Lipon
Copp
Kostalek
Kitchton

Ehlers
Lemiuex
Glover
Da Leo

2 x 1st rounder's

The bolded really backfill our depth and stack our odds nicely.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Noted non-HF partner Jetsnation has some fresh NHLe graphs/thoughts up:

article_7eb08453-6985-4b67-984d-3328756598c2.png

article_27fae406-293f-42ef-ba50-641c1894349e.png

(Though Poolman and Glover appear to be on the wrong graph. :sarcasm:)

Interesting when you look back on the drafts now post Buffalo blockbuster and reseed. knowing you are lucky to get 2 NHL players out of a draft year:

Schiefele
Armia
Lowry

Trouba
Kosmo
Hellebuyck

2013* (maybe the big draft?)
Morrissey
Petan
Comrie
Lodge
Lipon
Copp
Kostalek
Kitchton

Ehlers
Lemiuex
Glover
Da Leo

2 x 1st rounder's

The bolded really backfill our depth and stack our odds nicely.

Copp from the Jets' sixth pick in '13...

Yeesh. :handclap:

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/201...mcnally-welinski-russo-cj-franklin/in/7830396

Franklin comes in at #58.

A classic late-bloomer, Franklin has continued his meteoric rise after being drafted by the Jets in his last year of draft eligibility last summer. Franklin has worked his way up to a spot on the top line for a very good Minnesota State team. Franklin is a strong skater with a great release on his shot. He's still learning to harness his incredible physical talents and become a smarter hockey player, but when he does, he could develop into an excellent player.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Helle is not a kid just drafted out of junior at 18. He is 21, soon to be 22.

He did need a few games in the A to adapt, like 2-3.

Hutch had a bounceback game last night so maybe his 'slump' is over. That would certainly reduce the incentive to bring Helle up but I agree that it is not necessary to keep him in the A.

I think the common 1, 2, 3, 4 years in the minors pattern is more about reassuring the NHL coaches and GMs that the player really is that good than it is about developing them. They tend to need a lot of convincing. Playing an inadequate goalie can lead to losses much more so than playing an under developed skater. More about GMs confidence than anything else.

Bottom line is that Helle should be seen as a viable option if the other 2 can't get it done.

He definitely is a viable option -- just fear they'll wait too long (as they do with most key decisions) -- even if both goalies fall flat on their face, they'll wait until we are virtually eliminated from contention before they'd ever consider anything so radical as to bring up Helley.

All goes back to the bolded lines above -- hard to move away from a goalie that management is just so comfortable with even most of his starts against any half-assed opponent result in losses (darn where is that sarcasm symbol)

Last edited:

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
That's a very very positive report. A lot of points to take notice of.

Yeah, to have 3 freshmen and a goalie in his first year as a starter on this list is great. And Copp's still to come, excited to see where he'll be.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Nogoals Petan with another assist. Playing against the player who got picked 3 spots before Ehlers!

Nogoals Petan with another assist. Jet's favorite instagrammer with the goal.

Last edited:

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
For as much flack as he has gotten this season with his low pathetic point production... He's now 3rd in the WHL in P/G.:laugh:

4th if you count Draisaitl and his 20GP.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Nic Petan will be the assist machine
Ehlers will be the goal scoring machine

2015-2016 season (prediction new Jets radio add)

Come on downnnnnnnn..... to the MTS centre tonight as were crazy,crazy,crazy. My #1 son who works for me....because no one else will hire him.....did it again. He left the the goal machine and the assist machine on so we will have a fun night for the whole family..... bring the kids. There is sure to be plenty of goals to enjoy with Ehlers and Petan lighting up the new score clock with their NHL record 44 game Power play point streak going strong. First 7000 in the door get a free beaver, the next 7000 through get free wood.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

Come on downnnnnnnn..... to the MTS centre tonight as were crazy,crazy,crazy. My #1 son who works for me....because no one else will hire him.....did it again. He left the the goal machine and the assist machine on so we will have a fun night for the whole family..... bring the kids. There is sure to be plenty of goals to enjoy with Ehlers and Petan lighting up the new score clock with their NHL record 44 game Power play point streak going strong. First 7000 in the door get a free beaver, the next 7000 through get free wood.

No one outside Winnipeg will understand that post. :laugh: Nicely done.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013

Well done!
The next one... "YOU'LL FIND US!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: