Winnipeg Jets Prospect Thread (Part XIV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/201...-agent-maceachern-dougherty-walman/in/7830396

SB Nation is doing a top 100 NCAA prospects, Phillips came in at 76th.

After playing sparingly and with inconsistent results in his first two seasons at Michigan Tech, Phillips has had an absolute breakout year this year for the Huskies, thanks in part to a new goaltending coach. He's finally starting to take the physical tools that convinced the Jets to take a chance on him in the draft, and translate them into success on the ice.

The list will have 4 more Jets prospects between 1 and 69. Guessing Poolman, Franklin, Copp and Glover maybe?

Troub North

Dec 20, 2013
Toronto
Is it time to bring up Hellebuyck? The Jets could use a spark and having Hellebuyck in net would force the team to tighten up defensively and take less penalties.

AnonoJet

Jul 22, 2013
Is it time to bring up Hellebuyck? The Jets could use a spark and having Hellebuyck in net would force the team to tighten up defensively and take less penalties.

They already have a rookie in net half the time. If that doesn't motivate them to take less penalties and tighten up defensively, then swapping rookies won't make any difference at all in my opinion. Professionals should not need to have reminders or gimmicks to stop being the stupidest team in the NHL, as far as penalties go.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

I think we should bring him up because he potentially could perform better than either goalie up here is doing right now.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I think we should bring him up because he potentially could perform better than either goalie up here is doing right now.

Precisely - bring him up. I have no doubt whatsoever that he would perform much better than either goalie is or has in the last month. Can't see how working him into a rotation with Hutch would be anything but a good thing.

IMO this business of leaving a goalie work his way up slowly (and being a junior backup) for years until basically all his best years are behind him is just so misdirected. If we assume that a goalie reaches his peak at 25, and we have little to lose right now with both of our goalies in a deep funk, what are we waiting for?

Jml78

Dec 14, 2013
YYZ
It doesn't really matter what kind of prospects the Jets have, since Maurice is more worried about trying to make Pardy and Peluso into everyday NHLers, at the expense of guys like Klingberg and Postma who still have a chance. Especially if they were given the free pass those Pardy and Peluso get regularly.

Troub North

Dec 20, 2013
Toronto
Precisely - bring him up. I have no doubt whatsoever that he would perform much better than either goalie is or has in the last month. Can't see how working him into a rotation with Hutch would be anything but a good thing.

IMO this business of leaving a goalie work his way up slowly (and being a junior backup) for years until basically all his best years are behind him is just so misdirected. If we assume that a goalie reaches his peak at 25, and we have little to lose right now with both of our goalies in a deep funk, what are we waiting for?

I just don't get what else has to happen for him to get a chance? He's killing it in the AHL with a .925 save percentage and 5 shut outs, and our goalies are playing like crap. Since the All-Star break, Hutch and Pav have stopped 87% and 89% of shots respectively. What's the point in leaving him in the AHL? I get that their plan was to give him x amount of time there, but it's time for plan B.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/201...-agent-wilcox-rau-wittchow-diffley/in/7830396

Poolman at 63, Glover at 69.

Poolman:

Poolman has had to play some forward this year due to the depth of talent on North Dakota’s blue line, but he’s a defenseman by trade, and should develop into a pretty good one with a few more years at North Dakota. Poolman is big, strong, and athletic with a cannon for a slap shot. With a year of college hockey experience under his belt, and some other North Dakota defensemen moving on, Poolman should begin to take on a bigger role for North Dakota next season.

Glover:

It's been a rough transition to college hockey in Jack Glover's freshman season. There's been little patience for the typical growing pains of a true freshman defenseman on a deep Gopher blue line, which has left Glover only playing 14 games so far this season. All the tools are there for the big defender with remarkable skating ability, however. Next season will give him more opportunity to show his talents, and with another year of physical maturity and experience against the speed of college hockey, he could be an excellent player.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
What's the down low on O'dell. Any chance at making a serious impact on the roster this season with all the injuries? If not, in the future?

Cheers.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno

based on what?

guess we can look at what Gibson did for Anaheim last year and say there's a good example of a blind squirrel finding a nut.
otherwise, you risk ruining Helle's development by putting him in a high pressure situation that's a # of notches above the quality of hockey he was playing last year.
sounds fun, but no.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
based on what?

guess we can look at what Gibson did for Anaheim last year and say there's a good example of a blind squirrel finding a nut.
otherwise, you risk ruining Helle's development by putting him in a high pressure situation that's a # of notches above the quality of hockey he was playing last year.
sounds fun, but no.

This. Darcy Kuemper is a very promising G prospect. Or was?

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
based on what?

sounds fun, but no.

OK, you tell me how bringing him up now simply to rotate with Hutch (who is obviously in the tank and needs to get his game together) is high pressure. You tell me how declaring Helley as the obvious starter for his first year as a pro on a REALLY BAD Ice Caps team wasn't the ultimate high pressure/ruinous situation.

Then tell me how starting and losing a game or two in the NHL now would ruin him. While you're at it tell me how putting all the pressure on Hutch to pull his game together when they're in the midst of a playoff run isn't being viewed as ruining Hutch?

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
OK, you tell me how bringing him up now simply to rotate with Hutch (who is obviously in the tank and needs to get his game together) is high pressure. You tell me how declaring Helley as the obvious starter for his first year as a pro on a REALLY BAD Ice Caps team wasn't the ultimate high pressure/ruinous situation.

Then tell me how starting and losing a game or two in the NHL now would ruin him. While you're at it tell me how putting all the pressure on Hutch to pull his game together when they're in the midst of a playoff run isn't being viewed as ruining Hutch?

Can't really disagree with the spirit of what you wrote, but the bolded was not clear at the outset and I strongly suspect that if things had gone South they would have let Budaj lose 60 games before letting Hellebuyck lose 50.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I just don't get what else has to happen for him to get a chance? He's killing it in the AHL with a .925 save percentage and 5 shut outs, and our goalies are playing like crap. Since the All-Star break, Hutch and Pav have stopped 87% and 89% of shots respectively. What's the point in leaving him in the AHL? I get that their plan was to give him x amount of time there, but it's time for plan B.

Hutch killed it in the A last year too. .923 and .938 in the playoffs. What's he done lately?

The Jets have a lot riding on Helle. More than just this years playoffs. They are going to be cautious, probably too cautious but I don't see them taking any risks with him.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
based on what?

sounds fun, but no.

Based on the fact that he has been THAT good. Simple as that. Do you know how many goalies played more games last season than Hellebuyck has done this season, while maintaining a sv% of .925 or higher?

When you have a goalie that is that good, why not try him out? Worst case scenario is that he doesn't save our season. Meaning we end up missing the playoffs, just as we had if our goalies up here keep playing like they have. It's what the Ducks did last season with Gibson. He didn't save them in the playoffs, and I don't see anyone claim that those games ruined him. Vasilevsky joined the Lightning, hit the ground running and is looking good up there.

Is it at all possible that these goalies who get ruined because "they were called up too early" were simply not that good, and wouldn't have made it to the NHL even if they had ages to prepare down in the NHL? We have plenty examples of goalies who looked good before the AHL, were given tons of time down there, and still don't look like they will ever make the NHL. Allen and Campbell for example.

On the other hand, we also have lots of goalies who were called up "too early" (one season or less in the AHL), and managed to turn out okay. Price, Andersen, Bobrovsky, Fleury, Varlamov, etc.

Is there a certain way to groom goalies? Heck no. So why is the idea of calling up Hellebuyck now to see if he can do what our starters can't so horrible?

This. Darcy Kuemper is a very promising G prospect. Or was?

Darcy Kuemper had a grand total of ONE really good season as a starter before joining the Wild. That was in the CHL, before the Jets 2.0 even existed. He has never carried a starter's workload in professional hockey.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
It should be noted that I don't believe that we will see Hellebuyck in the NHL this season, barring a long term injury to Pavelec or Hutch. That does not, however, mean that I think a goalie has to be in the AHL for a long time before he steps up into the big leagues.

Right now, I simply think that Hellebuyck would outperform Hutch and Pavelec in the NHL.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
@DubFromAbove: Nic Petan is a zone entry master. Adding him and Ehlers to the Jets in the next couple years is a scary thought for others in the division.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
@DubFromAbove: Nic Petan is a zone entry master. Adding him and Ehlers to the Jets in the next couple years is a scary thought for others in the division.

Ehlers and Petan is an upgrade to Galliardi, Slater, Hallischuk already. The only reason why i would play Peluso is for Physical intimidation game.
:handclap:

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Ehlers and Petan is an upgrade to Galliardi, Slater, Hallischuk already. The only reason why i would play Peluso is for Physical intimidation game.
:handclap:

At that point there won't be anyone left in the league willing to fight Peluso.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille