News Article: Winnipeg 2nd Most Common NTC Designate

Tonyuno

Jul 12, 2014
On an island
Weather and losing, one you can fix, and was probably the same reason Atlanta would be pretty much in the same position as YWG. Players want to win is what it comes down to.

That's sums it up
Perception, I now live in the Gulf Island, " you used to live in a Manitoba, how awfull" , really ," when where you there last". " oh, never been there"
Upbringing, E Kane on a Vancouver radio station, " at least at home I can go out without a snowsuit on
BUT winning is what it's all about, there are too many prairie boys, Scandinavians and yes cold area Eastern Europeans in the league that understand cold climates to offset the rest.
Frankly if the cold puts a player off then there are others to take his place

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
Lower than Ontario? Nope, I pay plenty less in Ontario than I did in Manitoba.

Uness you are making millions a year your personal assessment of tax levels aren't really relevant. Even if you are the taxation is probably different for a pro athlete than a entrepreneur

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
To Be clear Downtown Booster. I love Winnipeg, and Manitoba, but like every city, It does have flaws.

I agree with you that it does have flaws as do most urban locations. There are many here working hard to improve it. I guess the thing that irks me the most when these reports come out is how some individuals seem to take glee in them so that they can take shots at Winnipeg. We all know about the cold weather here and there is nothing that we can do to change that in the same way no one can change the rain in Vancouver. It doesn't take Captain Obvious to point out that Winnipeg may always be on the list of NTC for players but we don't have to accept the unnecessary derogatory comments about our city. As some other posters have pointed out, we would prefer players whose main focus is on playing hockey and don't mind living in a hockey crazy city.

Last edited:

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
I agree with you that it does have flaws as do most urban locations. There are many here working hard to improve it. I guess the thing that irks me the most when these reports come out is how some individuals seem to take glee in them so that they can take shots at Winnipeg. We all know about the cold weather here and there is nothing that we can do to change that in the same way no one can change the rain in Vancouver. It doesn't take Captain Obvious to point out that Winnipeg may always be on the list of NTC for players but we don't have to accept the unneccesary derogatory comments about our city. As some other posters have pointed out, we would prefer players whose main focus is on playing hockey and don't mind living in a hockey crazy city.

That's part of why I called Puckdaddy an ***hole (and for other articles as well).

Everybody probably would know this but the reason for the article is what exactly...to have the same old tiresome comments come up. It does seem he likes to take glee in this.

On the mainboard thread, it seems it is perfectly fine to say derogatory comments about a city. It is amazing as to what is let go in that thread. Open season I guess.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Uness you are making millions a year your personal assessment of tax levels aren't really relevant. Even if you are the taxation is probably different for a pro athlete than a entrepreneur

If you make an average wage ($40-50k) you pay quite a lot less tax in Ontario than you do in Manitoba. Anywhere from $1k to almost 2k difference. That's alot for an average family.

But yeah overall taxes and costs vary so much between the provinces. Or even something like Hydro in Ontario being significantly more. Or car insurance (depending on where in Ontario you live), etc. It's not just all about the money coming off your paycheque.

seasontixholder*

Craig Custance is going to be on the warmup in a few minutes. Let's see if he dances?

DiggerD

Nov 21, 2014
Small market means fewer endorsements
Cold Weather
Lack of playoff success
..........Made Winnipeg less attractive

The times are changing. With success will come acceptance. I have only spoken to one Jet player about Winnipeg, and he is quite happy there. "Yes, it is cold, but we have a great group, and who wouldn't love playing for a rowdy, rocking crowd?"

seasontixholder*

Small market means fewer endorsements
Cold Weather
Lack of playoff success
..........Made Winnipeg less attractive

The times are changing. With success will come acceptance. I have only spoken to one Jet player about Winnipeg, and he is quite happy there. "Yes, it is cold, but we have a great group, and who wouldn't love playing for a rowdy, rocking crowd?"

The endorsement crap doesn't fly. Only the top players get those endorsements. So if Crosby played in Winnipeg, Reebok wouldn't want him? In a small market like Winnipeg, players like Slater and Stuart get those small endorsements that they would never get in a large market.

ediger

Jan 28, 2013
Winnipeg
The endorsement crap doesn't fly. Only the top players get those endorsements. So if Crosby played in Winnipeg, Reebok wouldn't want him? In a small market like Winnipeg, players like Slater and Stuart get those small endorsements that they would never get in a large market.

Completely true.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Any player that wouldn't play here because its too cold is a baby. Our team is turning around, good management (aside from Pavelec contract) and development, great fans.

Put on a good coat, toque, and you're good.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road

Like 'gratuity' mortgage. That commercial with Slater Jim and Rick Ralph is cringe worthy bad.

psowrc

Feb 21, 2015
I agree with you that it does have flaws as do most urban locations. There are many here working hard to improve it. I guess the thing that irks me the most when these reports come out is how some individuals seem to take glee in them so that they can take shots at Winnipeg. We all know about the cold weather here and there is nothing that we can do to change that in the same way no one can change the rain in Vancouver. It doesn't take Captain Obvious to point out that Winnipeg may always be on the list of NTC for players but we don't have to accept the unnecessary derogatory comments about our city. As some other posters have pointed out, we would prefer players whose main focus is on playing hockey and don't mind living in a hockey crazy city.

If you are a 35 year old UFA still possessing the talent to warrant multiple bids are you considering Winnipeg?

Take into consideration that if that player has only played in the US and has married an American, had his children in the States, why would he consider moving to the most remote location in Canada? We have limited direct flights to the US which would hinder his family flying home, we are not a metropolis with unlimited shopping/activities for a family.

To think that we are not a high option for players that have a NTC is expected.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
If you are a 35 year old UFA still possessing the talent to warrant multiple bids are you considering Winnipeg?

Depends on how competitive the team is and what I wanted out of the rest of my career. I believe if a guy is still looking for a title he'll go where he feels he has a good shot, and if that's here someday then I think they'd come.

Most of us here know that opinions about Winnipeg are born out of ignorance, and it's hard to fix ignorant. About the only thing people ever consistently say right about Winnipeg is its cold, as if we're the only place that's cold.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
we are not a metropolis with unlimited shopping/activities for a family.

Exactly what type of unlimited shopping/activities for a family are you referring to? That sounds kind of lame imo. From what players that previously played in Winnipeg have said about it being a great place to raise a family, I find it contradicts what you say. If there was little shopping/activities to do here, I'm sure they would have all asked for a trade.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
It's not a good day today. You watch other games on TV and the streets are as dry as a bone in St. Louis, or Detroit. It's spring in Vancouver.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan

Take into consideration that if that player has only played in the US and has married an American, had his children in the States, why would he consider moving to the most remote location in Canada? We have limited direct flights to the US which would hinder his family flying home, we are not a metropolis with unlimited shopping/activities for a family.

Of all the reasons to not sign with a team, I think the availability of direct flights to certain US markets is probably at the very bottom.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Exactly what type of unlimited shopping/activities for a family are you referring to? That sounds kind of lame imo. From what players that previously played in Winnipeg have said about it being a great place to raise a family, I find it contradicts what you say. If there was little shopping/activities to do here, I'm sure they would have all asked for a trade.

Winnipeg lacks high-end retail that are available in places like Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal and to a lesser degree, Calgary. These also tend to be available in every mid-size US city. We do have a few of these stores, just not the choices that are available in those other cities.

As far as family activities go, every city has them, but Winnipeg will have fewer than most. We don't have a legitimate amusement park, whereas a few of the larger Canadian cities and most American cities have one, if not two. Maybe this is what Bryzgalov meant when he said Winnipeg had no parks? Winnipeg would have other choices for family activities, but again, it would be less than virtually any other NHL city. Sometimes substantially less.

It is what it is.

Exiled Jets Fan

May 7, 2012
Edmonton, AB
Winnipeg lacks high-end retail that are available in places like Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal and to a lesser degree, Calgary. These also tend to be available in every mid-size US city. We do have a few of these stores, just not the choices that are available in those other cities.

As far as family activities go, every city has them, but Winnipeg will have fewer than most. We don't have a legitimate amusement park, whereas a few of the larger Canadian cities and most American cities have one, if not two. Maybe this is what Bryzgalov meant when he said Winnipeg had no parks? Winnipeg would have other choices for family activities, but again, it would be less than virtually any other NHL city. Sometimes substantially less.

It is what it is.

Who the heck shops in stores anymore. You young guys have to get onto the Internet. It's awesome.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta

Sounds like the Chris/Lauren Pronger saga in Edmonton circa 2006.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta

It is what it is.

Comparing Winnipeg to other cities, in terms of amusement parks, high end retail stores, etc is NOT the reason players don't want to play for Winnipeg. It's two main things, and to a lesser extent weather:

1. Living under a microscope. Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary, and Ottawa will all instantly recognize most NHL players. Not much privacy for an NHL player. You may not like what I have to say, but I somewhat agree with Kane. He was constantly under scrutiny from the media and fans for his actions outside the rink, even though at the end of the day, they were not that bad. Kane was immature, and it could be argued he was a problem child, but he has a valid point.

2. History/success. A big factor for many who want to come to play here. The Jets/thrashers have not made the playoffs since 2007, and even though we are improving, players are not convinced the Jets are a legitimate contender. If the Jets made the playoffs for 3 years in a row, this will change, considering True North has proven to be an above average ownership group. This is why players choose to play for Pittsburgh, and Detroit.

3. Weather. This is not as big of a problem as one would think. A lot of players live away from Winnipeg during the off season, and even if they do live here, many of the Jets 1.0 would comment on how it's an underrated city, and a great place to raise a family. Summers here are great, as there are a ton of festivals, lakes within an hour, and nice weather for 5 months a year.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg

It is what it is.

Bryzgalov is from another planet so who knows what he meant. Anyway, we're not talking about American football, basketball or baseball players. We're talking about Canadian hockey players for the most part who tend to be more down to earth than those of other sports. I don't think they're overly concerned about high-end retail as much as you think. Sure, there are some who like to talk into stacks of cash or do push-ups with them on their back but I think most players can sufficiently find the finer things in life here. They also have the means to travel and buy things elsewhere if they want.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad