News Article: Winnipeg 2nd Most Common NTC Designate

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
not surprised obviously. another site summarized the article (i think) and made the same point I was thinking - our 'success' this year may help a little, and most NTC were signed when we still were bottom feeders.

Derfel*

Certainly the city of Winnipeg is to blame for this, not necessarily the team itself. More downtown development and better focus on gentrification will help attract top young players.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Meh, start winning and that will all change.

Is Green Bay a great city? No, but NFL players won't turn down the chance to play there more often than not. The ones that care about winning anyways.

If you want an NHL comparison Detroit is a **** hole that's only getting worse. Yet I don't imagine too many players are turning down getting traded there.

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
Not really putting any stock in this. Sure they don't want to come right now, but we are trending up, and especially if we make the playoffs (or, dare I say, make it into the second round) players soon be willing to come our way.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
not surprised and I don't care, these NTC were signed before this season started....as we win this will change. It's been said ever since we got a team back so nothing new really.

In the article it quotes an agent that says if you have a family you're a shut in and the kids can't go out and play. Right... no kids ever play outside during the winter in Winnipeg :shakehead It's too bad the 15000 who pack the MTS centre have to suffer through the game with frostbite because they may have been outside for 15 mintutes. Typical garbage but whatever. Puckdaddy is an ***hole for stirring this crap constantly.

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
Nashville was on this list last year. Can't seem to find them now.

Oh hey, guess what...they're the best team in the league.

I'm guessing this list was made before the success we've had lately, and besides the honourable mentions are Florida and Phoenix. It's not all about nice weather, folks.

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
not surprised and I don't care, these NTC were signed before this season started....as we win this will change. It's been said ever since we got a team back so nothing new really.

In the article it quotes an agent that says if you have a family you're a shut in and the kids can't go out and play. Right... no kids ever play outside during the winter in Winnipeg :shakehead It's too bad the 15000 who pack the MTS centre have to suffer through the game with frostbite because they may have been outside for 15 mintutes. Typical garbage but whatever. Puckdaddy is an ***hole for stirring this crap constantly.

He's an American hockey writer who's surrounded by people who couldn't care less about what he writes about. No wonder he's got such a hate on for Canada.

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
Once we start becoming a winning organization we'll be more desirable. But up to this year we've had little going for us, no winning, crappy weather, under a microscope.

So yeah it's not too surprising.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
And this is exactly why draft and developing is the only way we are going to build a winning team. As we have seen with the Jets 1.0 and 2.0, once players have played here, their opinions towards the team, city and ownership changes for the better. Its getting them here that is the trick, and drafting is the best way to do that.

But if when we become a cup contending team through D&Ding, players will have no issues coming to the Peg, if they know we are not far off from winning it all.

peg

Jul 8, 2010
Given that the runners up include Florida where players don't want to go because its not fun to play in an empty building and Phoenix because of ownership instability, it seems that the players decisions are primarily hockey related and have nothing to do with climate, activities, etc. Players want to play in hockey markets where teams are successful. End of Story. Winnipeg/Atlanta until now have not been successful.

Then there's Kane ...... :sarcasm:

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
No trade list order:
1. Bad teams with bad weather and/or scrutiny.
2. Bad teams with good weather and/or no scrutiny.
3. Good teams with bad weather and/or scrutiny
4. Good teams with good weather and/or no scrutiny.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
As Shane Hnidy stated on TSN1290 today, the best way to change it is to for the organization to continue in it's efforts to build a consistantly winning team. Once players become more aware of the fact TNSE runs a great organization and once it does establish a winning team, more players will be willing to make the choice to come here. A lot of players have misconceptions about the city as they only see a small part of it and experience the coldest part of the winter season when they come in as visitors. However, the majority of players that actually do play for the Jets really enjoy it here once they've lived in the community. There is no way to convince outsiders of this as well since most have the same misconceptions of Winnipeg. We've had some great players live in our city over the years such as Bobby Hull, Dale Hawerchuk, Teemu Selanne, etc. and they really grew to appreciate Winnipeg and its' fans. The same goes for companies that try to attract executives to relocate to Winnipeg. There is a challenge due to the same misconceptions that cause a reluctance to come here but once they do live here a while it is difficult to get those same people to leave Winnipeg afterwards.

Mike Martin

Nov 1, 2013

He's just reporting the results of his own research, to assume that he has some agenda for doing so is your own problem.

Mike Martin

Nov 1, 2013
He's an American hockey writer who's surrounded by people who couldn't care less about what he writes about. No wonder he's got such a hate on for Canada.

This is speculative nonsense, you have no evidence that his research was motivated by a "hate for Canada" or by his being an "American". :shakehead

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Money is almost always number one reason a player signs in FA. Winning is 2nd biggest attraction in Free Agency, unless the player is going to retire soon and wants to try and win Cup. Depending on the player, coaching and weather/geography would rank 3 and 4.

Trades on the other hand, they already have the money. So it's all about winning.

seasontixholder*

This is speculative nonsense, you have no evidence that his research was motivated by a "hate for Canada" or by his being an "American". :shakehead

Most the American writers throw rocks at Winnipeg, probably cause most have never been there. Yet Canadian ones do not. If the shoe fits.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
In my opinion, Winnipeg is the coldest, smallest, poorest city in the NHL. Winnipeg is part of Canada which is a disadvantage to players seeking money since with all things equal, we are not able to offer the great corporate support since our market is the smallest, therefore endorsements are not going to be as high, we get the smallest exposure and quite frankly we are a hugely underestimated market. We generate great revenue as a team but we have only 1 good thing going and that is passionate fans.

Winnipeg/Atlanta has the worst playoff performance in that the Winnipeg Jets v 1.0 made it to the 2nd round twice and never won a game past round 1, Atlanta Thrashers were worse, therefore, many players have no hope for Winnipeg making it far in the playoffs. We haven't even made the playoffs since relocating and have never been a top the standings. Players NTC will see less of Winnipeg when this team becomes a powerhouse. Players do want to go to winners and a winning culture. Detroit has been great at that.

I don't see Winnipeg ever being a destination city for NHLer's until Canadian hockey players take pride and we see someone like Jonathan Toews come to Winnipeg to play at home. It is common in other sports, however, in hockey the pride just doesn't seem to be there.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG

Slow down there!

Puckdaddy is just reporting what ESPN's Craig Custance article said. If you're going to slag the writer, at least choose the right writer.

Personally, this is no surprise. Small, cold, Canadian city with no track record of success.

I'll agree with people that if they can build a winning culture that can change. I'l disagree with many hear that a single year's success like we hope to have this year will make much of a change. Instead, to quote a NHL GM, "It's a process".

seasontixholder*

Slow down there!

Puckdaddy is just reporting what ESPN's Craig Custance article said. If you're going to slag the writer, at least choose the right writer.

Personally, this is no surprise. Small, cold, Canadian city with no track record of success.

I'll agree with people that if they can build a winning culture that can change. I'l disagree with many hear that a single year's success like we hope to have this year will make much of a change. Instead, to quote a NHL GM, "It's a process".

So we should slag the former Atlanta Thrashers beat writer? Sounds like an agenda from him then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad