News Article: Winnipeg 2nd Most Common NTC Designate

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Nope, that's what Centre Ice is for. I like having control of my PVR so I watch Jets goals 55 times and skip over the replays of the other team's goals. It's petty but it makes me happy.

I just usually watch live streaming, since Im in the same area as you. Just curious. If I do go out, it's usually to Schanks Sports Bar on 178 St NW, in the West End.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I would've thought we were number one with our freezing weather... then thought about the gigantic mess Edmonton has.

Edmonton is a lousy city to live in. Winnipeg is much better. Calgary is much better city to live than Edmonton.

Now that my company is doing layoffs, I cannot wait to move south to Calgary.

Last edited:

seasontixholder*

Edmonton is a lousy city to live in. Worse than Winnipeg. Calgary is much better city to live than Deadmonton.

Now that my company is doing layoffs, I cannot wait to move out of this dump, south to Calgary.

I lived in Cedar Brae SW Calgary for a few years and I loved it. If I didn't get transferred back to Winnipeg, I probably would still be there. Unfortunately I won't be able to move back there again with my career.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I go to Calgary and Edmonton very regularly, I don't particularly care for either of them. At least Edmonton has good Donair, I'll give them that......although it aint no Halifax.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
I don't understand the Edmonton hate on here. There's a lot of great things about that city. Vice versa with Winnipeg, its a great city too. Both of these locations, if they were winning teams and perennial playoff contenders, I highly doubt they would be rated so low. Its a reflection of player perceptions of the organizations more than the cities themselves.

People get too involved in this "**** that other city shiftfest" - I don't get why people hate on other locales in the same damn country they live in. Like just be proud of the diversity in this country and try to see the positives in things? Is that difficult to do? There are people on other threads who **** on Winnipeg and that pisses me off to no end for the same reason - its a great city if you take the time to appreciate what makes it so great.

Just the other day I had a waitress in Calgary tell me Winnipeg was a **** city - "absolute ****" was the term she used several times. Needless to say, I kept my mouth shut because I believe it says more about a person who berates a city and their insecurities than it does about what they know of a city. A city is really what you make of it, after all. I could move back to Winnipeg and love it, even though I really like where I live now. I could move back to Lourdes, Newfoundland and love it too. I bet that city isn't too high on anyone's lists but there are amazing things about it too believe it or not.

Anyways, the look on her face was interesting when I purposely whipped out my Jets card to pay. People like that seem to always find something wrong in things, overlooking what is right.

Last edited:

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
The worst people that talk **** about Edmonton & Winnipeg are the ignorant arrogant people that have never even been to either city in person & have absolutely no clue what they are even talking about.

It is honestly quite sad when many people from Toronto are the worst for bashing Winnipeg.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Comparing Winnipeg to other cities, in terms of amusement parks, high end retail stores, etc is NOT the reason players don't want to play for Winnipeg. It's two main things, and to a lesser extent weather:

1. Living under a microscope. Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary, and Ottawa will all instantly recognize most NHL players. Not much privacy for an NHL player. You may not like what I have to say, but I somewhat agree with Kane. He was constantly under scrutiny from the media and fans for his actions outside the rink, even though at the end of the day, they were not that bad. Kane was immature, and it could be argued he was a problem child, but he has a valid point.

2. History/success. A big factor for many who want to come to play here. The Jets/thrashers have not made the playoffs since 2007, and even though we are improving, players are not convinced the Jets are a legitimate contender. If the Jets made the playoffs for 3 years in a row, this will change, considering True North has proven to be an above average ownership group. This is why players choose to play for Pittsburgh, and Detroit.

3. Weather. This is not as big of a problem as one would think. A lot of players live away from Winnipeg during the off season, and even if they do live here, many of the Jets 1.0 would comment on how it's an underrated city, and a great place to raise a family. Summers here are great, as there are a ton of festivals, lakes within an hour, and nice weather for 5 months a year.

Those are all important factors no doubt. For the young male hockey player entertainment options and living the fine life factor in as well. Pretty much every other NHL market offers greater options.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Edmonton is a lousy city to live in. Worse than Winnipeg. Calgary is much better city to live than Deadmonton.

Now that my company is doing layoffs, I cannot wait to move out of this dump, south to Calgary.

Been awhile since I've been to Edmonton. I will say they have slightly more entertainment options than Winnipeg (Mall, Indoor waterpark and amusement park plus a few other things) but only a little bit more. Mountains are only 4 hours away but that means it's not a day trip like Calgary to Banff. Need to give that 2-full days to be a viable option.

Winnipeg's best and older middle class neighbourhoods are nicer than Edmonton's. NOthing in Edmonton that I have seen compares to Old Tuxedo, Crescentwood. French Quarter, River Heights, Osborne Village area, the Westgate, exchange district and a few other areas. Edmonton housing stock, while newer, reeks of modern suburbia with row upon row of cheap-looking, near identical houses.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
I don't understand the Edmonton hate on here. There's a lot of great things about that city. Vice versa with Winnipeg, its a great city too. Both of these locations, if they were winning teams and perennial playoff contenders, I highly doubt they would be rated so low. Its a reflection of player perceptions of the organizations more than the cities themselves.

People get too involved in this "**** that other city shiftfest" - I don't get why people hate on other locales in the same damn country they live in. Like just be proud of the diversity in this country and try to see the positives in things? Is that difficult to do? There are people on other threads who **** on Winnipeg and that pisses me off to no end for the same reason - its a great city if you take the time to appreciate what makes it so great.

Just the other day I had a waitress in Calgary tell me Winnipeg was a **** city - "absolute ****" was the term she used several times. Needless to say, I kept my mouth shut because I believe it says more about a person who berates a city and their insecurities than it does about what they know of a city. A city is really what you make of it, after all. I could move back to Winnipeg and love it, even though I really like where I live now. I could move back to Lourdes, Newfoundland and love it too. I bet that city isn't too high on anyone's lists but there are amazing things about it too believe it or not.

Anyways, the look on her face was interesting when I purposely whipped out my Jets card to pay. People like that seem to always find something wrong in things, overlooking what is right.

Good post roccerfeller. The world would be a better place if more people had your positive outlook on life.

Sadly, I'm not surprised that the waitress said that about Winnipeg. Too often on here and other sites I see Calgarians rundown Winnipeg - it's like a forum sport or something. Everything is better in Calgary - weather is better 12 months of the year...even though in reality it's only better half of the year (blizzards in late May and early September!); all of Calgary's entertainment venues are better....even though the sports facilities are badly outdated; and the geography is better because of the mountains..even though the beaches don't compare to here and cabin and lake country is non-existent out there from what I understand when compared to here.

Calgary is a nice city with some spectacular scenery, but it gets rather tiresome to hear how everything in Winnipeg is worse. Probably just a few trolls with nothing better to do...

Now on to the more pressing question. Did you tip that waitress?;)

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
The worst people that talk **** about Edmonton & Winnipeg are the ignorant arrogant people that have never even been to either city in person & have absolutely no clue what they are even talking about.

It is honestly quite sad when many people from Toronto are the worst for bashing Winnipeg.

Haha, yeah I have noticed that to. Whenever the topic of desirable cities for NHL players comes up on the main boards, it's usually the same 2 or 3 posters from Toronto that chime in about what a ****hole Winnipeg is and how no one in their right mind would want to live there. Thankfully, no one really bothered to engage those individuals as it would be nothing but a waste of time.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I go to Calgary and Edmonton very regularly, I don't particularly care for either of them. At least Edmonton has good Donair, I'll give them that......although it aint no Halifax.

You have obviously never been to Jimmy's A & A Deli on 20th Ave. NW. Best Donairs, hands-down!

Winnipeg must be the last place in Canada to introduce the Donair. When I returned to Winnipeg, during the last recession, most Winnipeggers were like "what's a Donair?"

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta

Winnipeg is a great city to live. I certainly miss it. It's too bad my career field is somewhat incompatible with the city, but hopefully that changes. Summers cannot be beat in WInnipeg. So many things to do. Folklorama, Winnipeg Folk Festival, Fringefest, the Corydon Avenue Street Festival, chilling out at the Forks, the Exchange District, or going for a stroll down down Little Italy.

Cottage country is only an hour away, and its great to drive out to Lake Winnipeg on the weekend, and hit up Hecla Island, Grand Beach, and Gimli. Assiniboine Park and Forest are awesome too. If Bryzgalov plays here, we can always show him the park.

I find in Winnipeg, the culture is superior to anywhere else in Western Canada. People are down to earth, and friendly too. I'm not sure why I dislike Edmonton so much. Perhaps it's too spread out, dirty, or the fact that there is not as much to do around here, except go to West Edmonton Mall, or maybe the River Valley.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
The bashing of cities is indeed tiresome at times, though I confess guilt to doing so at times in the past. Winnipeg just has that reputation though, even if most of it is borne out of ignorance.

That said, I don't disagree with the notion that Winnipeg is low on the list. We're still Atlanta repainted as Winnipeg and as such, not a winning franchise. Nobody likes losing and that's the number one factor. End of story. Couple the fishbowl aspect and just not all that enticing for many.

What I find amazing though is nobody promotes the sheer number of incredibly beautiful women that live in Winnipeg and the surrounding areas. Sure, if you're Jet, you go "huh" but for young guys in a hockey career I can't think of a better place, per capita, than Winnipeg and that should be a selling feature. You'll be less likely to bail on the city at that point too, since she'd have family here. ;) I've traveled a lot of places around the world and there are stunning women everywhere but coming back to Winnipeg I do more neck snapping here than anywhere else.

Boxertim

Mar 21, 2014
winnipeg
The grass is always greener......

You can always find something wrong with the city you live in....just like you can always find something wrong with other cities.

I'm just glad I don't have to live in Germany with all the Hitlers.....beers.....or girls in sexy lederhosen. Nevermind...I just took Germany off of my no trade list.

civic204

Jun 1, 2012
One thing I don't think has been mentioned is that pro athletes make a stupid amount of money and a lot of luxuries aren't as readily available in Winnipeg. High-end restaurants, shopping, and goods are rare in Winnipeg. (Yes, I know they exist, but not anywhere close to a major American city).

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
The grass is always greener......

You can always find something wrong with the city you live in....just like you can always find something wrong with other cities.

I'm just glad I don't have to live in Germany with all the Hitlers.....beers.....or girls in sexy lederhosen. Nevermind...I just took Germany off of my no trade list.

Hitler was from Austria :)

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
One thing I don't think has been mentioned is that pro athletes make a stupid amount of money and a lot of luxuries aren't as readily available in Winnipeg. High-end restaurants, shopping, and goods are rare in Winnipeg. (Yes, I know they exist, but not anywhere close to a major American city).

Rare? There are plenty of high end restaraunts in Winnipeg. Besides just because hockey players make a tonne of dough doesn't make them all a bunch of fine diners.

I'm not sure what high end goods are so rare in Winnipeg, as previously noted these guys travel extensively and in the case if the Jets get a good 4 months off during the year to get some good shopping in.

I don't think most hockey players are as high end as some people seem to believe.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg

Totally agree. Unfortunately, some people feel better about themselves when they put others down. Everyone likes to have pride in their own city and that's understandable but there's no need to bash other cities to make you feel better about your own location.

AnonoJet

Jul 22, 2013
Totally agree. Unfortunately, some people feel better about themselves when they put others down. Everyone likes to have pride in their own city and that's understandable but there's no need to bash other cities to make you feel better about your own location.

I regularly travel to the true "world class" cities in North America, like New York, San Francisco, LA, and Chicago. Ya, and Toronto too, which I enjoy visiting every time. But the only place where I CONTINUALLY get slammed for being from Winnipeg is Toronto. I have had people from Toronto spy my luggage tags in foreign cities like Denver, and feel it is necessary to point out how they do whatever they can to avoid Winnipeg.

No one from those truly world class places seem to have this need to feel better about themselves by slamming us. The whole thing is juvenile. Same for when some of us feel the need to make comments about Regina or other places. Where you live does not immediately make you superior to someone who lives elsewhere. Lots of people in Toronto apparently have not figured that one out.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
The bashing of cities is indeed tiresome at times, though I confess guilt to doing so at times in the past. Winnipeg just has that reputation though, even if most of it is borne out of ignorance.

That said, I don't disagree with the notion that Winnipeg is low on the list. We're still Atlanta repainted as Winnipeg and as such, not a winning franchise. Nobody likes losing and that's the number one factor. End of story. Couple the fishbowl aspect and just not all that enticing for many.

What I find amazing though is nobody promotes the sheer number of incredibly beautiful women that live in Winnipeg and the surrounding areas. Sure, if you're Jet, you go "huh" but for young guys in a hockey career I can't think of a better place, per capita, than Winnipeg and that should be a selling feature. You'll be less likely to bail on the city at that point too, since she'd have family here. ;) I've traveled a lot of places around the world and there are stunning women everywhere but coming back to Winnipeg I do more neck snapping here than anywhere else.

Funny enough, I was just discussing that with a colleague at lunch today, how the women in Winnipeg are very beautiful. This colleague has travelled much more extensively than I have but agreed.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Good post roccerfeller. The world would be a better place if more people had your positive outlook on life.

Sadly, I'm not surprised that the waitress said that about Winnipeg. Too often on here and other sites I see Calgarians rundown Winnipeg - it's like a forum sport or something. Everything is better in Calgary - weather is better 12 months of the year...even though in reality it's only better half of the year (blizzards in late May and early September!); all of Calgary's entertainment venues are better....even though the sports facilities are badly outdated; and the geography is better because of the mountains..even though the beaches don't compare to here and cabin and lake country is non-existent out there from what I understand when compared to here.

Calgary is a nice city with some spectacular scenery, but it gets rather tiresome to hear how everything in Winnipeg is worse. Probably just a few trolls with nothing better to do...

Now on to the more pressing question. Did you tip that waitress?;)

Thanks, blueandgoldguy

I agree with your assessment of Calgary - but I think the Winnipeg bashing from some Calgarians comes from an elitist attitude, where someone needs to **** on a city perceptively worse off than theirs...you see it all the time in Winnipeg as well with the Regina and Saskatoon bashing for example..."well it could be worse, I could live in Regina..."

Whenever I'm in Calgary and people ask me about the Peg, I always promote it because in my opinion there are honest positives to it (and you named many, which I agree with 100%). Likewise when I'm in Winnipeg, it is not uncommon to hear people bash Calgary as well, and I promote what is positive about it.

I find it funny because people who live in Edmonton, Calgary and Winnipeg, and to a greater extent Regina and Saskatoon, tend to have more in common than they realize (all have a more small town friendly "attitude" than much larger centres) yet there's all sorts of bashing. Some of the friendliest people I've ever come across in the prairies were in Regina. I like to have fun with my ex-Edmonton buddies bashing the Oilers but I never once tell them where they grew up and invested their lives in was a **** hole, you know? I didn't grow up there so I won't understand what makes them attached to it.

Maybe its because, even though I grew up in Canada, I didn't get my citizenship till a few years ago so I look at it differently - but I really don't understand the city bashing from people living in the same country. I'm not talking about good-natured jabs, I mean actual bashing. Like, it makes the whole country seem weaker if there are only "one or two" good places in it you know what I mean? Coast to coast to coast there's something to love about it all, in my opinion, and we can choose what things we value the most and live accordingly.

I think if a lot of people were forced to live in Winnipeg, they'd find it to be a damn good city and set up roots for good. It was like that for my parents, and they were coming from one of the most "world renowned" cities on the planet in London, UK.

Anyways, to answer your question - I'm not someone who changes my values because another person is ignorant - I just bend them a little ;) I still left her a good tip, but not as generous as I usually do :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad