News Article: Winnipeg 2nd Most Common NTC Designate

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
He's reporting what the agents he surveyed said.
Maybe we should actually slag the agents....

No wait, but they just said what their clients tend to pick.
Maybe we should actually slag the players....

Or maybe we should just be less self defensive.

bigplay41*

May 5, 2010
Winnipeg
would any of us really wanna live here if we had a choice? cold as **** and not much going on here, cant say im surprised

seasontixholder*

would any of us really wanna live here if we had a choice? cold as **** and not much going on here, cant say im surprised

I hear ya but it's a pride thing. I absolutely hate our winters and take off for a month. When I retire I'll be gone to Florida for most of the winter like the many Manitobans that already do.

White Out 403*

I think if everone here was honest with themselves, Winnipeg as a city leaves a lot to be desired when compared to other NHL cities. Edmonton is a bigger version of Winnipeg, same weather but a lot more to do. Buffalo... well ya, Buffalo sucks.

So all things being equal, Winnipeg will always remain undesirable compared to the rest of the league. What matters is a good team and organization though. If I was an NHL player I'd choose to play on a good Jets team vs an average Los Angeles team.

Winning matters. The organization matters. If Chevy and Chipman do their jobs, these lists are and will be irrelevant when we build through the draft and our kids love playing in Winnipeg.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road

Some would, some wouldn't, depends what you consider what is 'going on' and how you can handle the winter months, some find activities to do in the Winter and don't let themselves be shut in.

edit: me personally I enjoy some Winter activities but If I had the money I wouldn't be opposed to escaping somewhere warm during the very coldest times. That would be cool to get up in the morning check the weather and say "Crap it's gonna be -40 all week, I think I'll fly to the Bahamas until it warms up a bit. I'm not crazy

Last edited:

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
This will all change, if the Jets make the playoffs for 2 or 3 consecutive years. Everyone wants to play for a contender, and with Winnipeg/Atlanta not making the playoffs for 8 years in a row, this is hardly surprising. It's also a small market Canadian city, where you are in a fish bowl. However, winning changes things. Just look at Detroit and Pittsburgh as prime examples. Detroit was named the #1 destination of choice, despite the economy being in shambles, hardly ideal weather, and a city in decline.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Detroit was named the #1 destination of choice, despite the economy being in shambles, hardly ideal weather, and a city in decline.

Good point. Winning can change attitudes about playing in a particular location. At one time during the 70's, Detroit's team was known by many as the 'Dead Things' due to their poor record for years. The city also had an image problem as it was considered a dangerous city with all the shootings that took place there. I remember former Winnipeg Blue Bombers player Rod Hill stating that he'd rather dodge snowballs in Winnipeg than bullets in Detroit.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Certainly the city of Winnipeg is to blame for this, not necessarily the team itself. More downtown development and better focus on gentrification will help attract top young players.

You ahve to be joking.

How is Winnipeg to blame for this? We're:

1. Small market team
2. Hockey-mad (players feel they live in a fishbowl)
3. The Atlanta/Winnipeg franchise has not made the playoffs in 8 years.

If the Jets were a legitimate contender for at least 3 years, we would move up on that list. In fact, Detroit was voted the #1 destination for NHL players a few years back, despite the bad economy, bankrupt city, and high crime rates, and the long commute, as players live in the distant suburbs.

Gentrification and downtown development are insignificant. What Winnipeg needs to do is:

1. Finish in the top 10 in the NHL every season
2. Grow to over 3,000,000 people
3. Have fans and media not write about, follow, or barely recognize the players, so they don't feel like they are not always the center of attention.

Only one of these things is possible.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Meh, start winning and that will all change.

Is Green Bay a great city? No, but NFL players won't turn down the chance to play there more often than not. The ones that care about winning anyways.

If you want an NHL comparison Detroit is a **** hole that's only getting worse. Yet I don't imagine too many players are turning down getting traded there.

Bingo.

It's being on a winning team, and how the organization treats it's players. Detroit has been known to be top notch since the mid 80's, when Mike Illitch bough the Wings.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Despite what many think, cold weather isn't much of a factor, considering many players do not live in the city. It's mainly down to the organization, and how they treat players (big plus for True North), living in a fishbowl, and not wanting to play in such a small market place. Detroit and Pittsburgh do not have ideal weather, and still are highly regarded by NHL players.

Well Cold weather is just a catch all for "Perceived City Quality" but i didn't make that clear.

As well, it's listed 3rd for a reason.

Markus250

Jan 27, 2014
Good point. Winning can change attitudes about playing in a particular location. At one time during the 70's, Detroit's team was known by many as the 'Dead Things' due to their poor record for years. The city also had an image problem as it was considered a dangerous city with all the shootings that took place there. I remember former Winnipeg Blue Bombers player Rod Hill stating that he'd rather dodge snowballs in Winnipeg than bullets in Detroit.

It's obvious here that the number one factor is therefore consistent success. No team in any professional sport has the consistent success that Detroit has and that is both before and after the salary cap implementation. The town is poor, crime is awful and the weather isn't much better than ours. Yet Florida and Arizona are ideal candidates for sun seekers and they are near the bottom of the list.

The players are moving in order to do their job and their job is to play hockey. You don't become good enough to play in the NHL without an intense drive to be the best hockey player you can and the willingness to do anything it takes to win. If contract values are relatively close, winning is the number one priority, nothing else even comes close. Weather, entertainment, media and other factors are icing and sprikles on the cake. I'd rather play in Detroit and have a tasty cake with no frills than play in Arizona and have a fancily decorated mound of dog droppings. There is plenty of time to drink beer on the beach during the summer.

Want further proof? Why do players push so hard to make the playoffs? No extra money and less time to enjoy all the benefits that supposedly don't exist in Winnipeg. Yet players will put their physical well being on the line for any tiny edge to help their team keep playing as far into the spring as possible. Winning is everything, if we start winning then players will want to come here.

Last edited:

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I think if everone here was honest with themselves, Winnipeg as a city leaves a lot to be desired when compared to other NHL cities. Edmonton is a bigger version of Winnipeg, same weather but a lot more to do. Buffalo... well ya, Buffalo sucks.

I can tell you from living in the Edmonton area that it's a lot worse than Winnipeg. Edmonton may have more people, but it's a dump. If it were not for my work, I sure as hell would not want to live here. The organization is horrible, and players don't want to waste their career there. Any city that's main drawing points are being the "City of Champions" (named after the Oilers won 5 Stanley Cups in the 80s), and West Edmonton Mall (overrated), is a pathetic city. The River Valley is nice, and that's about it.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
Also this is the only franchise to have never won a playoff game.

tumblr_n7zzpd30aZ1qzdfwko1_400.gif

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
If you want an NHL comparison Detroit is a **** hole that's only getting worse. Yet I don't imagine too many players are turning down getting traded there.
Detroit was named the #1 destination of choice, despite the economy being in shambles, hardly ideal weather, and a city in decline.

You guys know Detroit has some of the wealthiest suburbs in the US, right? And the greater Detroit area is growing both economically and in population? And that their winters are considerably milder than even Toronto's? Their weather is actually pretty great - for all those -30 days in Winnipeg they've got -10; Their summers are like Winnipeg's (not ball boiling hot like the south) but last in to October. Their freeway system, which literally runs right beside the arena, also makes it possible to get in and out of the city after a game faster than you could get off Portage. The players would barely even have to see the city.

Winning is definitely the biggest motivator regardless, but you guys are making too much of Detroit's situation. It's not even just winning, I suppose, there's other factors that come with going to a good team: less pressure to carry the team; less chance of the team making you look worse, diminishing future contract offers; generally less frustrating to play with capable teammates.

I don't hate living here, but given a crap ton of money, and a choice I'd be elsewhere.

Exactly. I left and I'm from there. I can't blame people who'd rather go elsewhere when they don't even have any ties to the city.

EvilCoop

What year is it?
Nov 29, 2011
The Black Lodge
Meh, start winning and that will all change.

Is Green Bay a great city? No, but NFL players won't turn down the chance to play there more often than not. The ones that care about winning anyways.

Detroit isn't getting "worse" in terms of supporting sports teams or being athlete friendly. Gentrification is happening and frankly the bankruptcy is speeding up the process. Downtown and Corktown are safer than they've been in 50 years. The suburbs are very close by and I could see some of the athletes beginning to have apartments downtown--not yet, but in a few years.

Are services going down the toilet for most of the people in Detroit--yes, but the people being hurt were never going to hockey games anyway.

The fanbases of the professional teams are entirely suburban, and many of the children of these suburban people are moving downtown. Detroit has a lot of problems, but the privileged are doing better than they have in a long time.

As vBurmi said, Detroit has extremely wealthy suburbs with a very low cost of living. Our Gini index score is through the roof.

Last edited:

bluefan

Nov 18, 2011

I love to travel so even if say I won the lottery like NHL players did, I would. Cheap as hell to live here. Family in Vancouver need to make three times as much as I do to live in a decent area and have a similar life style. Plus, you can dress for the cold. It amazes me people have yet to realize that :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad