News Article: Winnipeg 2nd Most Common NTC Designate

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I think we get it Tom ServoMST3K --- you don't like Winnipeg.

NotSureIfSerious.jpg

Toomuts

Jun 29, 2011
Winnipeg
would any of us really wanna live here if we had a choice? cold as **** and not much going on here, cant say im surprised

I have a choice (as we all do...) and have had many opportunities to live elsewhere but choose to live in Winnipeg because I love to live here.

I love the summers & the winters and I find there is always tons to do here. Also quite enjoy my 15 minutes commute to work and I find the people here are great compare other major cities .

I would hate to live life living somewhere I don't enjoy living.

Having the Jets come back helps as well...

I would like to know what other cities offer that Winnipeg doesn't offer in regards to your comment of "not much going on here"? If its 'nightlife' then I agree but that's not in my considerations of where I want to live.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Yep.

I'm pretty sure this isn't the first story about Winnipeg being on most NTCs.

Just to expand on this, I've never understood the whole 'city hate' thing, personally. I don't think that it's the city that free agents don't like: it's the lack of winning pedigree. Why is Detroit at or near the top of the list? It's certainly not because of the plethora of abandoned buildings downtown, or the massive exodus of the populace, and flight to the suburbs from the 70's on. It's because the franchise is the model for a winning franchise, that always does the right thing.

Regarding Winnipeg itself: I've now lived in Toronto longer than Winnipeg, but I still love returning when I can. Heck, I'm bringing high-tech jobs there, because I want to give back. I've spent a lot of time in or lived in cities all over the world because of my profession, but one thing has always been true: a city is what you make of it, not what it 'gives' you. Friends, family, good employment / employer - these things are all important to people.

Solve the winning portion of that equation, and the players will solve the other parts and discover what Winnipeg actually has to offer outside of hockey.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Just to expand on this, I've never understood the whole 'city hate' thing, personally. I don't think that it's the city that free agents don't like: it's the lack of winning pedigree. Why is Detroit at or near the top of the list? It's certainly not because of the plethora of abandoned buildings downtown, or the massive exodus of the populace, and flight to the suburbs from the 70's on. It's because the franchise is the model for a winning franchise, that always does the right thing.

Regarding Winnipeg itself: I've now lived in Toronto longer than Winnipeg, but I still love returning when I can. Heck, I'm bringing high-tech jobs there, because I want to give back. I've spent a lot of time in or lived in cities all over the world because of my profession, but one thing has always been true: a city is what you make of it, not what it 'gives' you. Friends, family, good employment / employer - these things are all important to people.

Solve the winning portion of that equation, and the players will solve the other parts and discover what Winnipeg actually has to offer outside of hockey.

Yeah... But isn't that just because you're basically Norm from Cheers in Winnipeg?

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
So far I prefer not living in Winnipeg (it's been less than a year), but when it came living in Winnipeg for a few years and earning huge amounts of money I'd do it in a second.

If I had a NTC, I'd probably put WInnipeg on it if I was under 30 and I wasn't born and raised there, doesn't mean I hate Winnipeg. If you have never lived here, you've mostly heard negative things.

ediger

Jan 28, 2013
Winnipeg
I have a choice (as we all do...) and have had many opportunities to live elsewhere but choose to live in Winnipeg because I love to live here.

I love the summers & the winters and I find there is always tons to do here. Also quite enjoy my 15 minutes commute to work and I find the people here are great compare other major cities .

I would hate to live life living somewhere I don't enjoy living.

Having the Jets come back helps as well...

I would like to know what other cities offer that Winnipeg doesn't offer in regards to your comment of "not much going on here"? If its 'nightlife' then I agree but that's not in my considerations of where I want to live.

Other cities have a couple of dozen places that could be Whiskey Dix while we have a handful. So I guess in that regard other cities offer more than Winnipeg...

I've done a decent amount of travelling and can safely say that Winnipeg has a far better live music scene than most cities. Problem is the city and province do a terrible job of highlighting that. Unless you're somehow involved with the music community you really don't realize just how much there is to see and do in Winnipeg. The venues don't have the bright lights and big marquees outside, so they're pretty easy to pass by. So saying there's nothing to do in Winnipeg is completely inaccurate. Maybe it's not everyone's thing but that's not the city's problem.

Last edited:

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
Part of the problem is with what just happened with centreventure/True North square and the Mayor fiasco.

Improvements are needed downtown so we can't have pettiness scuttling that.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Meh, start winning and that will all change.

Is Green Bay a great city? No, but NFL players won't turn down the chance to play there more often than not. The ones that care about winning anyways.

If you want an NHL comparison Detroit is a **** hole that's only getting worse. Yet I don't imagine too many players are turning down getting traded there.

This.
Probably would be at least a little better if the lists were made now. You can see the common thread in the members of the bottom 5. The exception might be Ottawa but their cheapskate owner might explain them being where they are on the list. a)Because he is leading them on a race to the bottom and b)Because he is a cheapskate. They like to get paid.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
And every player we've wanted to keep has re-signed here long term to this point, giving up UFA years.

Draft and develop. Even the teams in more desirable locales follow this strategy or don't at their own peril. We can all recall Chicago, Boston, LA and the Rangers icing absolutely useless teams littered with free agents and trade acquisitions.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
would any of us really wanna live here if we had a choice? cold as **** and not much going on here, cant say im surprised

Sorry, but what the hell are you talking about? This isn't Russia of the 1960s where the gov't controlled every aspect of your life. Last time I checked we lived in a free country and we can make " a choice " to live where ever you want. Yes, NHL players are controlled some what because of the team that drafts them and trades, etc. , but the rest of us?

If you live in Winnipeg it's because you want to. And if someone is forcing you to live here, maybe you should phone 911 and tell them someone has you chained to the city.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Gotta go see the toronto board to see how they are reacting to being in the bottom 5 :amazed:

Exiled Jets Fan

May 7, 2012
Edmonton, AB
There's a reason why Evander Kane is gone and Blake Wheeler isn't. Winnipeg is a great place to raise a family and to build connections to community. I've lived in several places and none of them have a sense of community like Winnipeg does. It is a place that has historically punched far above it's weight in terms of economic, social, and intellectual achievement. Winnipeg is far from isolated and things that have happened there have had impacts felt around the world.

I was born in Southern Manitoba and raised in Winnipeg. Even though I have lived in Edmonton for 24 years because the University of Alberta continues to inexplicably pay me a large amount of money, Winnipeg is and always will be my home. When I go home it blows me away to walk through places like the downtown core and the Forks, places which have helped shape this country.

People who are from Winnipeg and assume the grass is always greener somewhere else (it isn't, including in big international destinations) will slag it and people who have little experience with it but rely on supposition and prejudice will bad mouth it. It is, however, an extraordinary place and you should be proud to live there or, like myself, be from there.

Players who are looking for the beach, nightclubs, or who hate winter (bizarrely for hockey players) may never want to come. Players who are serious about hockey and either have settled down or want to may well consider Winnipeg, particularly once the team begins to win and it is clear that True North supports families as well as the players.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Gotta go see the toronto board to see how they are reacting to being in the bottom 5 :amazed:

Is that a surprise.

If I played in the NHL Toronto/Edmonton would be probably the only team I wouldn't want to go to right now.

Competent Management would be important to me as a player, Throw the media frenzy on top of it, and there's no way I would want to play for Toronto.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
You guys know Detroit has some of the wealthiest suburbs in the US, right? And the greater Detroit area is growing both economically and in population? And that their winters are considerably milder than even Toronto's? Their weather is actually pretty great - for all those -30 days in Winnipeg they've got -10; Their summers are like Winnipeg's (not ball boiling hot like the south) but last in to October. Their freeway system, which literally runs right beside the arena, also makes it possible to get in and out of the city after a game faster than you could get off Portage. The players would barely even have to see the city.

Winning is definitely the biggest motivator regardless, but you guys are making too much of Detroit's situation. It's not even just winning, I suppose, there's other factors that come with going to a good team: less pressure to carry the team; less chance of the team making you look worse, diminishing future contract offers; generally less frustrating to play with capable teammates.

Exactly. I left and I'm from there. I can't blame people who'd rather go elsewhere when they don't even have any ties to the city.

Yeah, I don't think people know a lot about Detroit. There have been some incredible challenges but they have beautiful places there and they are making a very innovative comeback.

I love Winnipeg there is a lot of good things happening here -- its home but I'd live and have lived elsewhere if the opportunity arose.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
It makes me sad, because if we had a park we could've had an awesome goalie like Bryzgalov.

FML

:cry:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad