Helene St. James Wings Offered Mrazek to Flyers for a Third

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Their GAA and Sv percentage goes slightly to Howard.
Wins and Point percentage goes to Mrazek.

WHo gives a **** what Howard did when Datsyuk was 33 and Lidstrom was still with the team.
Exactly, which is why it's important that Howard has been so much better the last 2 years. The other poster wanted to make it a 3-year summary in order to include Mrazek's only period of above average NHL hockey.

And who cares that Mrazek has a higher point%. It's a team stat. Maybe Mrazek gets points because the coach is only comfortable playing him against garbage teams?

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Well with both Elliott and Neuwirth down for the Flyers, Maybe Ron Hextall re-visits the Petr Mrazek to Flyers offer Mrazek @ $2 million for Phillie's 2018 4th round pick should be more then fair get it done Kenny and Ron.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Easy money.
Trade Howard and 3rd for Elliot.
Probably don't even have to retain.

I was actually about to post the exact same thing. This gives us a pick, and saves us almost 3mil in cap. Elliot becomes our backup next year, and if he sucks we just dump him at the end of the 18/19 season.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Exactly, which is why it's important that Howard has been so much better the last 2 years. The other poster wanted to make it a 3-year summary in order to include Mrazek's only period of above average NHL hockey.

And who cares that Mrazek has a higher point%. It's a team stat. Maybe Mrazek gets points because the coach is only comfortable playing him against garbage teams?

Exactly, and this is another reason why I don't like win% and point % for goalies. If a team has a back to back, they will usually play the better goalie against the better team, even in general, teams typically play the backup against teams that they think he can win against. For those stats to work, you would almost have to work in quality of opponent into some type of formula.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
yes a whopping 0.2% and 0.04 GAA. That surely is enough of a difference to determine the guy with 10 good years in the NHL is worse than the guy with 1 good year.

10 injury riddled Jekyll/Hyde years actually. And he's getting older, and he's a head case, and Detroit has nothing in the minors vis-a-vis NHL ready goaltending, and PS Howard is again super injury prone. Also, its not clutch saves that are the reason Mrazek and Howard have such a difference in winning percentage, the team plays different in front of Howard, compared to Mrazek. They play a lot more below the dots when Howard is in the net, which holds back breakouts and allows the other teams to set up in the neutral zone during transitions. And for a team that is already pretty bad at transitions that hamstrings them. But it does help to inflate Howard's stats because he doesn't have to face nearly as many dangerous shots and second chances.

Reactions: Blind Squirrel

muchbetterthanlada

Oct 24, 2015
yes a whopping 0.2% and 0.04 GAA. That surely is enough of a difference to determine the guy with 10 good years in the NHL is worse than the guy with 1 good year.
I never made that claim.

You were the one who posted a two year stat favoring Howard stating:
"Gosh, I wonder who is the better goalie. If only there was SOME way to know."

I simply pointed out that if you include an extra year it goes in Mrazek's favour, so maybe things aren't as clear cut as you made them out to be with that post.

as for Howard having 10 good years to Petr's 1, I'm going to assume you are exaggerating for effect.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I never made that claim.

You were the one who posted a two year stat favoring Howard stating:
"Gosh, I wonder who is the better goalie. If only there was SOME way to know."

I simply pointed out that if you include an extra year it goes in Mrazek's favour, so maybe things aren't as clear cut as you made them out to be with that post.

as for Howard having 10 good years to Petr's 1, I'm going to assume you are exaggerating for effect.
It doesn’t really go in Mrazek’s favor though. 0.2% means basically they were equal. Howard has 9 NHL seasons. I’d hesitate to call more than 1 of those bad. So 8 good years to 1.

I wouldn’t be concerned if we traded either of them but people need to forget about the idea that Holland is dumb for not betting big on Mrazek as the goalie of the future. Nobody wants him.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
10 injury riddled Jekyll/Hyde years actually. And he's getting older, and he's a head case, and Detroit has nothing in the minors vis-a-vis NHL ready goaltending, and PS Howard is again super injury prone. Also, its not clutch saves that are the reason Mrazek and Howard have such a difference in winning percentage, the team plays different in front of Howard, compared to Mrazek. They play a lot more below the dots when Howard is in the net, which holds back breakouts and allows the other teams to set up in the neutral zone during transitions. And for a team that is already pretty bad at transitions that hamstrings them. But it does help to inflate Howard's stats because he doesn't have to face nearly as many dangerous shots and second chances.
1. Mrazek is likely a bigger headcase than Howard considering what we have heard about the two goaltenders.
2. The whole "team plays differently in front of the two goaltenders" thing is unsubstantiated and just guesswork because Mrazek is a better puck handler.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
1. Mrazek is likely a bigger headcase than Howard considering what we have heard about the two goaltenders.
2. The whole "team plays differently in front of the two goaltenders" thing is unsubstantiated and just guesswork because Mrazek is a better puck handler.

Well, go back and watch the games, and you can't have it both ways, either the team doesn't play different therefore no cause or you believe that they do and the cause is Mrazek's puck handling.

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Howard's been steadier, but Mrazek's had the higher peaks. In the end, both have been pretty average tenders in their NHL careers, but Mrazek has age and upside on his side. If I was worried about moving one and having it bite me, it would be Mrazek.

As for right now, I don't know how this club justifies playing anyone other than Mrazek. Yeah, he's had a couple of rough games the past couple of months, but he's also had two shutouts and either four or five games with save percentages over .940.

Reactions: gbdet

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Philly has ~5 million tied up in Neuvirth and Elliott next season as well. Unless they are moving one of them they won't want to take on any of Howard's 18-19 contract.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Philly has ~5 million tied up in Neuvirth and Elliott next season as well. Unless they are moving one of them they won't want to take on any of Howard's 18-19 contract.

If we traded Howard to Philly, I would have to imagine Elliot is coming our way.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
There are pretty good arguments to be made re choosing either of Mrazek or Howard over the other at this stage, though as a strategic decision I favour the younger man, simply because Howard won't be relevant when the team is again, but Mrazek might be. (particularly as he now appears to be not only back in favour on a personal level, but has suddenly started putting a nice run together).

But anything that comes from HSJ re Mrazek is always extremely negative, and has been as soon as his Vezina number run left him. But then I'd say anything she says on any subject is high school journalism anyway. She can barely write, she rarely says anything of interest bar unsubstantiated speculation, and when she speaks she sounds like an idiot.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

He has like 4 good years. Is way older and his good years he had a good not great team

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017

Except you're cherry picking.
The two year window is the ONLY window that works for Howard.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
How do their stats compare in their last 100 respective games?

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
Here is the deal. I'm a Howard fan. He is better even when the team plays worse for him than for mrazek.

Buuuuut if we do move a goalie it should be howard due to his age and the fact that after he is injured he typically struggles afterwards.

Or we can move both along with nyquist, tatar and green and properly rebuild. Bit we have holland....so ya.....

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
How do their stats compare in their last 100 respective games?

Close to 100:
Last 3 years...
Mrazek 109 starts 52-43-18 .910 2.73, 47.7 Win%, 56 Point%
Howard 97 starts 40--43-12 .913 2.64, 41.2 Win%, 47.3 Point%
Advantage Mrazek, Similar GAA stats, but the point differential is stark.

Reactions: kliq

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad