Helene St. James Wings Offered Mrazek to Flyers for a Third

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Except you're cherry picking.
The two year window is the ONLY window that works for Howard.
Last two years is cherrypicking? Get real. That’s like saying it was the right move to play Cleary over Nyquist because Nyquist had only been the better player for 2 years, not for 3 years. I guess it’s cherrypicking to say Kronwall is bad now? Last 3 years combined he’s been pretty good..

And it’s total BS on the numbers favoring Mrazek. Howard’s career numbers are better. His last 2 years are better. Mrazek has ONE great year and he has failed to get anywhere close to those 4-5 months ever since. If he had value, he would’ve been gone. Teams don’t want him for free, not for a 3rd, what’s hard to grasp? Why is a handful of Wings posters the only ones in the world who realize what a superstar Mrazek is?

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Well, go back and watch the games, and you can't have it both ways, either the team doesn't play different therefore no cause or you believe that they do and the cause is Mrazek's puck handling.
I wasn't trying to have it both ways, I am saying that Mrazek's puck handling is not a significant factor in how the team plays.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I wasn't trying to have it both ways, I am saying that Mrazek's puck handling is not a significant factor in how the team plays.

So in hockey, teams DO plan around which goalie they have in net. This isn't revolutionary. It's not even news. It's how coaching works. If you don't believe Detroit has a different game plan when Howard is in net than the one when Mrazek is in net, you need to brush up on the game. The only question is does it significantly change the outcome of the game, and given their identical save% but pretty different GAA, I would say it does.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
I don’t get why the wings are even entertaining moving mrazek. The team is not gonna be good until minimum 2019-2020. Howard is past his prime and is not gonna do anything for this team now and into the future. Trade Howard and retain 2 mill on him he’s good value for a team either as a starter or a split starter 1A/1B situation. Qualify mrazek and let him be the man next year if all goes well great he’s the goalie of the future because we all know he has top 5 talent we see it on display. He falters oh well you have the ability to find your starter in that year when we have available cap and maybe even one of our prospects are good to go. You move him to philly for a 3rd and we will be pissed for years to come imo

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
So in hockey, teams DO plan around which goalie they have in net. This isn't revolutionary. It's not even news. It's how coaching works. If you don't believe Detroit has a different game plan when Howard is in net than the one when Mrazek is in net, you need to brush up on the game. The only question is does it significantly change the outcome of the game, and given their identical save% but pretty different GAA, I would say it does.
If you can't quantify HOW the game plan is different and HOW it actually bears out in the game with anything but "well their GA averages are different," then you aren't going to convince me.

Not to mention the differences between their averages this year amount to a whopping 3 goals over the course of a season (if both played the same amount of games). Not sure where you are getting the idea their GAAs are different enough to imply a much different game plan.

I don’t get why the wings are even entertaining moving mrazek. The team is not gonna be good until minimum 2019-2020. Howard is past his prime and is not gonna do anything for this team now and into the future. Trade Howard and retain 2 mill on him he’s good value for a team either as a starter or a split starter 1A/1B situation. Qualify mrazek and let him be the man next year if all goes well great he’s the goalie of the future because we all know he has top 5 talent we see it on display. He falters oh well you have the ability to find your starter in that year when we have available cap and maybe even one of our prospects are good to go. You move him to philly for a 3rd and we will be pissed for years to come imo
I don't think either are the future, and I would rather work towards finding the solution then putting my chips in either going forward.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I'll be a little bummed if Mrazek is moved since I thought he was the chosen one. But there's so many cheaper options available every season that I don't think it'll matter much once this team gets some more building blocks.

Reactions: Winger98

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
If you can't quantify HOW the game plan is different and HOW it actually bears out in the game with anything but "well their GA averages are different," then you aren't going to convince me.

Not to mention the differences between their averages this year amount to a whopping 3 goals over the course of a season (if both played the same amount of games). Not sure where you are getting the idea their GAAs are different enough to imply a much different game plan.

I don't think either are the future, and I would rather work towards finding the solution then putting my chips in either going forward.

Well who do you think has a better chance at being the future??

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

We are significantly faster in transition when Petr plays in my opinion. His ability to keep our D somewhat clean because of his puck handling ability is massive for this team. He fits what we have to a huge degree. I think it absolutely factors into how we play and it is noticeable when he is in. We are a faster team with him in the net and a heck of a lot more fun to watch in terms of just the entertainment angle.

Problem with Petr for me and I am sure somebody will throw the actual numbers sorry I am not going there right now is when he isn't on I feel like he gets shredded on the PK. He loses his angles and gets punished a lot when we are down a man. When he is locked in we are generally fine there but in my opinion that is the first thing to go on him when he struggles.

I don't think either guy is likely the long-term answer anymore at this point. But that is really only a question for Petr. Jimmy should be traded and Petr has a month and change plus next year to prove he can be more consistent or not. That should be the move. Holding onto Jimmy doesn't make sense anymore.

Reactions: Winger98

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
We are significantly faster in transition when Petr plays in my opinion. His ability to keep our D somewhat clean because of his puck handling ability is massive for this team. He fits what we have to a huge degree. I think it absolutely factors into how we play and it is noticeable when he is in. We are a faster team with him in the net and a heck of a lot more fun to watch in terms of just the entertainment angle.

Problem with Petr for me and I am sure somebody will throw the actual numbers sorry I am not going there right now is when he isn't on I feel like he gets shredded on the PK. He loses his angles and gets punished a lot when we are down a man. When he is locked in we are generally fine there but in my opinion that is the first thing to go on him when he struggles.

I don't think either guy is likely the long-term answer anymore at this point. But that is really only a question for Petr. Jimmy should be traded and Petr has a month and change plus next year to prove he can be more consistent or not. That should be the move. Holding onto Jimmy doesn't make sense anymore.

Exactly jimmy should be moved and petr should be qualified and given the chance to show who he is. Jimmy isn’t the answer either way based on age but petr still has a chance to prove he is the answer.

Move Howard and retain to islanders or philly for the best possible return

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Qualifying Mrazek is a bad economic move. If the team isn't going to be good until 19-20 or later, that's enough time for our young goalies to develop. Howard can be the veteran backup to Larsson/Petruzzeli.
With Mrazek you also run the risk that he'll suddenly turn it on and have a Vezina season. Do we need this team to be carried by goaltending into a 1st round exit next year? Howard is good enough to give the team a chance but not good enough to carry them far beyond what they're supposed to do. This team needs to trust their young players next season and either get another top 10 pick or go on the upswing due to the actual team improving, not betting big on goaltending.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Qualifying Mrazek is a bad economic move. If the team isn't going to be good until 19-20 or later, that's enough time for our young goalies to develop. Howard can be the veteran backup to Larsson/Petruzzeli.
With Mrazek you also run the risk that he'll suddenly turn it on and have a Vezina season. Do we need this team to be carried by goaltending into a 1st round exit next year? Howard is good enough to give the team a chance but not good enough to carry them far beyond what they're supposed to do. This team needs to trust their young players next season and either get another top 10 pick or go on the upswing due to the actual team improving, not betting big on goaltending.

I would love mrazek to have a vezina type season and carry us to a 1st round exit. That means we have a top goalie who is 26. I would much rather have a sure thing rather than maybe hitting on a prospect or getting a 3rd for a “vezina” type goalie

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I would love mrazek to have a vezina type season and carry us to a 1st round exit. That means we have a top goalie who is 26. I would much rather have a sure thing rather than maybe hitting on a prospect or getting a 3rd for a “vezina” type goalie

I agree let's also trade Larkin in case he has a Hart trophy kinda year and demands big money.

Foolish

Keep all players under 27 plus a select few top role model type veterans, ie kronwall and Zetterberg, abby

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
What would it take to even deal for Karlsson? I assume it would start with our 1st. Maybe another 1st by dealing Green? I think Athanasiou would have to be a part of it. I can't see Ottawa wanting a goalie, considering what they're spending on Anderson. Would Holland try to lower the asset cost by taking a second contract (Ryan? Gaborik?) back?

Holland doesn't want to rebuild, period. How much would he be willing to sell for pieces that he thinks will allow him to win now?

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
What would it take to even deal for Karlsson? I assume it would start with our 1st. Maybe another 1st by dealing Green? I think Athanasiou would have to be a part of it. I can't see Ottawa wanting a goalie, considering what they're spending on Anderson. Would Holland try to lower the asset cost by taking a second contract (Ryan? Gaborik?) back?

Holland doesn't want to rebuild, period. How much would he be willing to sell for pieces that he thinks will allow him to win now?
So those Holland > Seattle rumors then....

Karlsson + Dahlin. Book it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad