Helene St. James Wings Offered Mrazek to Flyers for a Third

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Red Wings mailbag: Trade deadline, Holland, Blashill, Yzerman, more

There is also interest in goaltender Jimmy Howard. Petr Mrazek is not drawing interest – he was offered to Philadelphia after the Flyers lost Brian Elliott last week (he’s out five-to-six weeks) for an asking price of a third-round pick and the Flyers declined

Why not offer Howard than? Sheesh.
Something about leading a horse to water.

FWIW Custance wrote that they are willing to listen on Howard. He also added:

Detroit has told inquiring teams that they’re not looking to just dump Howard and believe he might have more value at the trade deadline next year as a rental, something the Red Wings are willing to wait out

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
FWIW Custance wrote that they are willing to listen on Howard. He also added:
That seems weird for a couple reasons.

1. Apparently some of the reason people don't want Mrazek is because he's on an expiring contract. Why would that increase Howard's value?
2. You have to *really* hope that someone's starter goes down next season. This year there's like 3-4. I don't know if you can count on that again. If it doesn't, what is Howard's value? Especially as a rental?

razor ray

May 8, 2011
Not sure why Philly would not take that deal. A 3rd rounder probably would not even make the NHL and they have a slew of good young prospects already. It would be good to have an extra goalie option going into the playoffs.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
If this is true, maybe as Wings fans we really do overvalue Mrazek. Personally I want to keep him, but after seeing Nosek selected over him, and now a 3rd round pick being considered too much, maybe he's just seen as a bust.

Hopefully we keep him and proves teams like the Flyers/Golden Knights wrong.

Reactions: NickH8

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
If this is true, maybe as Wings fans we really do overvalue Mrazek. Personally I want to keep him, but after seeing Nosek selected over him, and now a 3rd round pick being considered too much, maybe he's just seen as a bust.

when vegas did not take mrazek for free, that tells you his trade value was almost nonexistent. but some folks still seem to be in denial about that

vicehf

Sep 14, 2013
The quote from Custance just seems foolish to me.

If there is interest in Howard, then trade Howard while there are teams out there that can use a starting goaltender. I can understand waiting a year on skaters with term on their contract, but goaltenders don't return a lot at the deadline. This year seems the most promising because of the combination of injuries and underwhelming performances from goaltenders on potential playoff teams.

The goaltender market is extremely volatile. If someone wants Howard and is willing to give up a decent future for it (3rd round pick, B prospect), then I would take it.

Have to thank HSJ for burying Mrazek yet again. This feels like a story that should have been run after the deadline already passed. I don't like that this does to the little value he held in a trade when one of our writers is going "the Wings offered to trade him for a third and the team said 'lol no'"

Reactions: NickH8

LeftBackLegend

Oct 15, 2011

For a third, there is absolutely no sense in moving him. His upside is still far beyond an average third round pick.

Reactions: Sadekuuro

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
For a third, there is absolutely no sense in moving him. His upside is still far beyond an average third round pick.

Ya agreed, luckily nobody wants to give us a third for him.

My preference is to keep him, but if we are going to let him walk, I’d rather get a third then nothing.

LeftBackLegend

Oct 15, 2011
How are they going to afford his 4M QO?
Fair point I guess, with our cap situation (ugh). But I'd still rather look into resigning him than trading him for a third. It's not a given anyone will pay him that kind of money.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
That seems weird for a couple reasons.

1. Apparently some of the reason people don't want Mrazek is because he's on an expiring contract. Why would that increase Howard's value?
2. You have to *really* hope that someone's starter goes down next season. This year there's like 3-4. I don't know if you can count on that again. If it doesn't, what is Howard's value? Especially as a rental?

My guess is when Howard's contract expires, they can offer him fair market value whereas Mrazek is expected a $4 million QO. Mrazek is not worth $4 million no matter how good he does the remainder of this season. He's already proved to be too inconsistent for anyone to take that big of a risk on. I guess teams want a option to re-sign the rental at a fair price. Mrazek has proven to be worthless in terms of not being a valuable asset. Golden Knights already proved that.

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
I love you people.

It's "Hsj burying mrazek". "Hsj is at fault!"

LV didnt want him for free. Mrazek effing sucks. Stop being homers people. The entire league knows he sucks, except half the red wing fan base.

Hey remember when 75% of the base thought nyquist was trhe next Zetterberg? Wonder where those people are.

LeftBackLegend

Oct 15, 2011
I love you people.

LV didnt want him for free. Mrazek effing sucks. Stop being homers people. The entire league knows he sucks, except half the red wing fan base.

Hey remember when 75% of the base thought nyquist was trhe next Zetterberg? Wonder where those people are.
If you think Mrazek sucks you never saw Tim Cheveldae play.

Reactions: Winger98

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I love you people.

Playing behind the same defense as Howard...
Same sv percentage
Same goals against average
Better winning percentage and point percentage

He's cheaper this year and next year.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
How are they going to afford his 4M QO?

We'll have around $17m in cap space, plus Franzen's salary. Holland could fit him if he wanted to, along with the rest of the RFA. Personally, I'm fine with Holland bringing back Howard and Mrazek. I don't really want to see him wade into UFA to get some more mediocre flotsam, and the less cap space he has the less likely he'll be able to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad